Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
suggestions for aftermarket speakers?

I have alot of bass with my 2 12in subs and I was wondering what I would replace my speakers with. With that amount of bass what should I look for in a speaker. I would assume I would want a speaker that produces good treb and less bass so I could equal out the bass and treb. And should I replace that rear and front speakers? Also, I guess I need another amp for these so any suggestions on that would help too.

Thanks
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
Well, I suggest 3-way speakers, maybe a passive or active crossover or an equalizer, also try to lower the gain for your amplifier or the output volume. What amp do u have?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
With 2 x 12 subs, you want to increase the treble and midbass in your cabin.

I suggest the following:

- 6.5" 2-Way Separate Component Speakers for the FRONT
or 6.5" 3-Way Separate Component Speakers for the FRONT

- 6 x 9 2-Way Coaxials for the REAR

In terms of brands, I suggest Focal, Polk, MB Quart, or Morel.

I don't know how much you plan to spend, but if you are considering any speaker systems from the above manufacturers, you must purchase an additional power amplifier to bring out the sound.

Here's my price estimate for you:

Focal PolyglassV2 165V2 2-Way Separate 6.5" Components - $325
Focal PolyglassV1 690CV1 2-Way Coaxial 6 x 9 - $175

I'll get into amplifiers another time, but check your budget for your speakers first.

A good quality 4-channel amplifier will run about $400 minimum.

Last edited by bigsky2; 10-07-2006 at 07:34 PM.
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
eflb55
its EF LB 55

currently i have a 1200 watt powerakustic amp for the 2 subs which is well over what i need. as far as a quality to budget ratio, well, i dont want or have need for $600 based on speakers alone. I'm looking at spending 250 on the speakers w/amp. I hope this will buy me more than a mcdonalds happy meal toy speakers but from the looks of bigsky2's comments i might be wrong.

Last edited by eflb55; 10-08-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
To give you an idea of what $250 will get you (nothing)
I have about $4,000 in sterio equipment thats going in very soon...

But $250 W/ amp is gonna be a hard one. I have a great budget amp new in box ill sell you cheap.

Its a phenox gold 250watt 2 channel amp

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=449

i'll sell that to you for 50bucks because your on this forum. As for speakers your left with 200bucks. I would go with CDT speakers

http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merc...Code=EF_SERIES

Those would be perfect

Then You can buy a wireharness from me if you need one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

As for back speakers, don't worry about it. Rear fill is not needed. I don't use back speakers and I'm a crazy audiophile.

Last edited by Lowfront; 10-09-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Yar

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Metallic
I got two 12" Subs in my hatcback.

Decided to go with a kenwood system. Subs are hooked up to a Kenwood KAC-91520 Amp, with bass control.

For my speakers I went with Kenwood KFC-P707 Mountable Tweeters, hooked up to a Kenwood KAC-8452 4/3/2 Channel Amp. With Stock rear speakers, for now. Sounds greaaaat! Toned the bass down up front, have it all going to the back, and I love it.
Yar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflb55
currently i have a 1200 watt powerakustic amp for the 2 subs which is well over what i need. as far as a quality to budget ratio, well, i dont want or have need for $600 based on speakers alone. I'm looking at spending 250 on the speakers w/amp. I hope this will buy me more than a mcdonalds happy meal toy speakers but from the looks of bigsky2's comments i might be wrong.
you have a ton of options...
speakers http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3742.html

amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2677.html

and bam, 250 bucks shipped

i am also from the school of thought that you really do not need rear speakers, and would focus on the front stage first, and if after that you really want rears, you can add them in later

but shop around, there is alot that you can get for $250, but at first glance, that is what i would get, if i needed to but a 250$ front stage right now :) but dont forget you are also going to need wires for your new amp, and speaker wire for your new speakers, jsut remeber to budget that in when deciding on what to purchace
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
eflb55
its EF LB 55

i noticed that amp is 2 channels, so if i wanted to do the rear later on i would need another amp?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Yes, you'd need another amp if you want to power the rears.

I suggest getting a basic 4-channel amp that's about 60-75W RMS per channel which is what most speakers operate at.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #10
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
For the price range you're willing to spend in, you ought to look at the Infinity Reference series, good quality for the price, I'd recommend the 6010cs up front and the 9612i in the rear, then back them up with any capable amp from a reputable manufacturer.
Be aware that these speakers operate at 90W RMS and 100W RMS, respectively, so give them some decent power.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
05b-rollas

Drives: 05 Corolla S
i have infinity kappa component 6.5 and 6x9 in my corolla. if you want good sound i highly reccomend them with a 4-channel phoenix gold amp. i bought my amp and speakers on ebay.....but buy from an ebay store, not an indvidual seller, that was a nightmare. but yeah, you don't need much power for your highs to sound good. it helps to have a high quality hu too. i have an eclipse cd player and two phoenix gold amps and infinity kappa all the way around. right now i have one eclipse 12, but i am waiting on my two 12 JL w3's. as for a relatively cheap high (compared to focal or mbquarts) infinity kappa or infinity kappa perfect is the way to go.....hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
forget the 6x9 in the rear. sound should come from the front, and not the rear. the money you save from the 6x9 will get you a better set of components for the front. better fronts is still better than cheaper front+rear.

btw, 05b-rollas: the inifnity kappa used to be good. now they run in 2ohm. unless you get the kappa perfect series.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
05b-rollas

Drives: 05 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX
forget the 6x9 in the rear. sound should come from the front, and not the rear. the money you save from the 6x9 will get you a better set of components for the front. better fronts is still better than cheaper front+rear.

btw, 05b-rollas: the inifnity kappa used to be good. now they run in 2ohm. unless you get the kappa perfect series.
well i disagree with what you say about the rear. i think having crappy stock rears and good highs is not the way to go. if you want to have a killer system it is better to upgrade everything.

as far as the kappa perfect thing......i didn't know that. good to know.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 AM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
With 2 x 12 subs, you want to increase the treble and midbass in your cabin.

I suggest the following:

- 6.5" 2-Way Separate Component Speakers for the FRONT
or 6.5" 3-Way Separate Component Speakers for the FRONT

- 6 x 9 2-Way Coaxials for the REAR

In terms of brands, I suggest Focal, Polk, MB Quart, or Morel.

I don't know how much you plan to spend, but if you are considering any speaker systems from the above manufacturers, you must purchase an additional power amplifier to bring out the sound.

Here's my price estimate for you:

Focal PolyglassV2 165V2 2-Way Separate 6.5" Components - $325
Focal PolyglassV1 690CV1 2-Way Coaxial 6 x 9 - $175

I'll get into amplifiers another time, but check your budget for your speakers first.

A good quality 4-channel amplifier will run about $400 minimum.
What he said... disregard most of the others. OUCH lol
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
funkstrong

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Sounds like you have more than enough bass. I'd find some good 6.5" inch speakers to cover your mid-bass because 12" speakers suck at midbass. I agree with what bigsky said mostly. You could save money and put some 1 way mid-bass speakers in the rear, and a great pair of 3 ways in the front. You might not be as picky as me, but I like to have the soundstage in front of me, and having some 2-way or 3-way speakers in the back just muddles everything. Another great way to make your system sound cleaner and more effecient is to roll off all the low-bass from everything besides the subs, thats their job isn't it?
funkstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05b-rollas
well i disagree with what you say about the rear. i think having crappy stock rears and good highs is not the way to go. if you want to have a killer system it is better to upgrade everything.

as far as the kappa perfect thing......i didn't know that. good to know.

i never said anything about even KEEPING the rear speakers???? the front is where sound should come from. so there's no real advantage in keeping the rear speakers unless going with a sub-less system.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #17
eflb55
its EF LB 55

ya i have the amp for my subs on a low pass filter so any high pass bass isnt used on my subs because it sounds pretty bad. My subs are competition so they are made for the lower bass. What I want to do first is upgrade my front speakers because they are becoming pretty shot so I'm going to look around on your advice and see what I can find. Later I'll look around for rear speakers to fill in the high pass bass.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:59 AM   #18
mhero

Drives: Yaris 5Dr.
Check out mine ... http://www.yarismaniac.com/index.php?showtopic=282
mhero is offline   Reply With Quote