Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
lindstothek
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LB
10,000 mile service

Hi All,

I wonder if you could give me some advice. I've had my Yaris for a 1 year in February and have put about 7000 miles on it. I have my 10,000 service coming up. I went to the dealership at my 6 month mark and this is what they did for the price of $54.99:

- Replace engine oil (up to 7 qts.) and oil filter per factory specifications
- Inspect fluids and fill as required
- Inspect tires and adjust tire pressure as required
- Inspect air filter cleaner
- Inspect brakes and brake system per factory requirements
- Inspect suspension components (e.g. CV boots, steering linkage tie-rod ends, ball joints) as appropriate and required by factory
- Rotate tires
- Perform multi-point vehicle safety and maintenance inspection

I went on the dealership website to make an appointment for the 10,000 mile service and here is what they recommend for the whopping price of $119.99:

- Replace engine oil and oil filter per factory specifications
- Inspect fluids and fill as required
- Inspect tires and adjust tire pressure as required
- Replace air filter
-Replace Cabin air filter
- Inspect suspension components (e.g. CV boots, steering linkage tie-rod ends, ball joints) as appropriate and required by factory
- Rotate tires
- Perform multi-point vehicle safety and maintenance inspection
Inspect wiper arms--belts & hoses

So my question is, do you think the extra money and service is really necessary?
lindstothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
No, oil change only. And as far as the cabin filter; it's funny they want to replace it as your car probably doesn't have one as most don't come from the factory with one.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Yeah , dont waste your money man , total bs . As far as your warrenty goes all it need for the 10,000 is the basic oil/filter change done by a dealer . Only 30 bucks at my dealer.
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
The air filter and cabin filter cost about fifty bucks for both of 'em, that's where the difference lies. Just go to NAPA and get the air filter for fifteen bucks.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Id just get a wix filter. They got that bioguard stuff thats supose to keep your cabin air filter bacteria free. Same stuff they use on new age countertops. That kids can spill thier food on the table and be able to pick it up back up and eat it without worrying about bacteria.

The yaris is supose to be maintanance free. Really all thats needed is oil changes tire rotations filter changes and occasional rear brake adjustment.

Most you can do yourself sides the tire rotation.

Figure it this way. For about a hours worth of time if you really wanted to. You could perform the same service at home with the help of DIYs from this infinate source of information yarisworld and help of other members. And save yourself 119.99

And especially with the economy the way it is now every dollar or hundreds of dollars you can save doing something yourself adds up to be a lot.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
...Most you can do yourself sides the tire rotation...
He can't do a tire rotation? Is there a rule against it?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
He can't do a tire rotation? Is there a rule against it?
Well you can but just saying for someone whos never worked on cars its not something you should try to tackle without having proper tools and knowledge because you could easily get injured or injure your car.

Most people dont have a floor jack, wheel chocks, jack stands and such just sitting around in thier garage. Or a torque wrench to properly tighten the wheels to specifications.

Without those things someone inexperience could possible have a car fall down on them or have wheels that are not tight enough and have a wheel fall off on them.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Well you can but just saying for someone whos never worked on cars its not something you should try to tackle without having proper tools and knowledge because you could easily get injured or injure your car.

Most people dont have a floor jack, wheel chocks, jack stands and such just sitting around in thier garage. Or a torque wrench to properly tighten the wheels to specifications.

Without those things someone inexperience could possible have a car fall down on them or have wheels that are not tight enough and have a wheel fall off on them.

i would really hate to think i couldn't rotate my own tires, if you can change a flat tire you can rotate your tires
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote