Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #1
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
OH NO! More stickers !

In an attempt to look Japanese JDM, added "JUN" which is a very localised Japanese tuner on the bumpers, and look! Japanese flags and japanese names on the rear window. I even marked the tyres!

Pictures were taken at yesterday's track session at Pasir Gudang Circuit, Malaysia. Behind me is cleong's silver yaris.

Slowest cars on the straights, no doubt.
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:50 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
hahaha you sticker maniac!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
Ric n Sov's Vitz RS
Waiting to be SC'ed

Drives: 07 RS LB mt 5 door polar white
Send a message via MSN to Ric n Sov's Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgring View Post

Slowest cars on the straights, no doubt.
Take the Stickers off and save some weight and you could go faster....lol

jokes... nice lookin car!!

-Rick
Ric n Sov's Vitz RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
hhhah kick ass pcture too, even if you weren't trying..

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
mhero

Drives: Yaris 5Dr.
kick ass plate!! It's such a long one!! I luv it!!
mhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
nice cars. wish i had a 4 door!
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
super nice. looks good
Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
RodimusPrime

Drives: 1998 Intrepid
Gorgeous!
RodimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
nurburgring (Marc) is proof that stickers make you faster. His auto tranny car lapped as quickly as my manual car.

Its either that, or a horrible lack of skill on my part.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
did you leave the handbrake on again, leong?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Damn, I knew I'd forgotten something when I left the pits!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #12
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

On a more serious note (Leong's track report)

The day started out wet, grey and gloomy, but when we got to the track after lunch, the track was bone-dry, it was as cool as we can expect for a tropical afternoon, and it was all good to go for the track!

In a bid to avoid stressing the car too much I planned only 5 laps each time I went out in addition to one warm up lap and one cooldown lap. I found the car suffered from a lot of corner entry understeer, maybe I was just entering corners way too fast. But the brakes held up and felt good for the duration of each run.

I also paced a Suzuki Swift Sport down the straight and found that the Yaris doesn't give up very much in terms of straightline speed. As my 5 laps were up, I didn't stay with him long enough to see if its cornering was better than mine, but I would feel that would be the case.

I got a little bit faster max speed than Marc (I recorded a 154kph down the back straight). However I suffered from pretty bad understeer which resulted in quite a lot of front tire scrub. Didn't really cross my mind to reduce tire pressures till toward the end of the session, when I really didn't want to go out anymore. This time I started out at 240kpa front and 230kpa rear, I think the car handled better last time at 210kpa front and 200kpa rear, much more grip.

Also had a run with a Proton Gen 2 Coupe which was surprisingly quick. I could overtake him (and he graciously gave way) but I found it hard to shake him and pushed too hard trying to lose him. He may have just wanted to follow me instead of being followed by me! Haha..

According to one of the more experienced trackies I was with, I clocked a similar lap time to Marc, he is very smooth and consistent while I was all over the place. He also gave some useful tips when he took a ride in my car. In addition I was making mistakes all over the place. So technically I had the marginally faster car (manual vs. auto), but he was the better driver.

I clocked near 20 laps. I went into the track with 3/4 of a tank, and filled up on the way home (I did 12.5km/litre which is not bad considering I was on high revs all the time I was on track). That, and quite a lot of Michelin rubber I'd left on the track, plus a bit of coolant lost. I didn't feel that my car was flexing too much, although I felt that the car hops a little through high-G corners when the suspension starts bottoming out.

Next time, I shall run lower pressures. The tire started losing grip by the 3rd lap onward. And I'll have to learn to manage the tires rather than just caning them to bits.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
The day started out wet, grey and gloomy, but when we got to the track after lunch, the track was bone-dry, it was as cool as we can expect for a tropical afternoon, and it was all good to go for the track!

In a bid to avoid stressing the car too much I planned only 5 laps each time I went out in addition to one warm up lap and one cooldown lap. I found the car suffered from a lot of corner entry understeer, maybe I was just entering corners way too fast. But the brakes held up and felt good for the duration of each run.

I also paced a Suzuki Swift Sport down the straight and found that the Yaris doesn't give up very much in terms of straightline speed. As my 5 laps were up, I didn't stay with him long enough to see if its cornering was better than mine, but I would feel that would be the case.

I got a little bit faster max speed than Marc (I recorded a 154kph down the back straight). However I suffered from pretty bad understeer which resulted in quite a lot of front tire scrub. Didn't really cross my mind to reduce tire pressures till toward the end of the session, when I really didn't want to go out anymore. This time I started out at 240kpa front and 230kpa rear, I think the car handled better last time at 210kpa front and 200kpa rear, much more grip.

Also had a run with a Proton Gen 2 Coupe which was surprisingly quick. I could overtake him (and he graciously gave way) but I found it hard to shake him and pushed too hard trying to lose him. He may have just wanted to follow me instead of being followed by me! Haha..

According to one of the more experienced trackies I was with, I clocked a similar lap time to Marc, he is very smooth and consistent while I was all over the place. He also gave some useful tips when he took a ride in my car. In addition I was making mistakes all over the place. So technically I had the marginally faster car (manual vs. auto), but he was the better driver.

I clocked near 20 laps. I went into the track with 3/4 of a tank, and filled up on the way home (I did 12.5km/litre which is not bad considering I was on high revs all the time I was on track). That, and quite a lot of Michelin rubber I'd left on the track, plus a bit of coolant lost. I didn't feel that my car was flexing too much, although I felt that the car hops a little through high-G corners when the suspension starts bottoming out.

Next time, I shall run lower pressures. The tire started losing grip by the 3rd lap onward. And I'll have to learn to manage the tires rather than just caning them to bits.
nice writeup, I badly wanna go on a track now

As for caning the tires... isn't that the Singaporean specialty?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Go away you silly froggy!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
nurburgring
ringmeister

Oh please Leong, dont suck up to me. I have more camber than you did.

By the way, etimago, you have the best looking car in the forum, in a racy way.... its a pity you dont track! I bet your car will have so much grip it will start flippin over.

More pics!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #16
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

No sucking up mate. I was pushing hard because you were that fast. That's the truth.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgring View Post
Oh please Leong, dont suck up to me. I have more camber than you did.

By the way, etimago, you have the best looking car in the forum, in a racy way.... its a pity you dont track! I bet your car will have so much grip it will start flippin over.

More pics!

one Evo to the other: "Heh... look at those little geeks... quick, hide them from the camera!"

But yeah... went to the airport today, highway was not too congested, taking the inner lane round a pretty sharp bend at 100km/h, not a squeak from the tires, car felt planted, though maybe a little tiny bit of oversteer, hard to tell...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #18
nurburgring
ringmeister

I clearly state.... bring your car to the track. Public roads .... are unforgiving! I know... coz I oversteered a civic into a barrier before... and guess what, it was my Dad's.

After that... I was a civic minded citizen.