Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
webb
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
yaris automatic or auto clutch ?

Hi,
I need to get an automatic yaris for someone to learn in, but am confused as to when the gearboxes changed from being "fully automatic" to an "auto clutch"

I think possibly 2005 models only come with auto clutch and earlier were a proper auto box ?

Does anyone have experience with both. From what I understand the full automatic is the best option ?

thanks,
Webb.
webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
beckhamboy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris
We've got both - my wife has an 04 Verso Automatic and I have an 09 Diesel Auto.

I have to say that the full auto is probably an easier car to drive smoothly.

But having said that you then have to realise that the 09 is only an auto clutch rather than a full autobox and drive it accordingly.

The trouble is that as it's only an auto clutch the drive is momentarily disengaged as the gear change takes place which means that if you're accelerating hard and don't lift your foot slightly when a change is anticipated you suddenly feel the acceleration stop and then resume - it's exactly the same sensation as not lifting your foot in a manual car whilst changing gear.

Drive it properly and it will be fine.

In addition to all this, my wife's petrol full auto is giving about 38mpg overall. My diesel has averaged 62mpg over the past 6000 miles. I love it.
beckhamboy is offline   Reply With Quote