Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Autoblog: Revised Yaris to debut this year

From Autoblog via Auto Observer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblog.com
After years of uninterrupted success, Toyota finds itself in a peculiar position. The automaker has struggled to regain its stride after the March 11 earthquake that disrupted the supply chain for months and at the same time the automaker is stuck with a quickly aging lineup.

But while the first half of 2011 has been rough, it appears that Toyota is climbing out of its funk. Factories are springing back to life, and new models are primed and ready to go. Auto Observer reports that a new Yaris will be ready for U.S. customers by the end of the year. The re-tooled Yaris should look an awful lot like the attractive JDM Vitz/Yaris that was unveiled in Japan back in December. Auto Observer claims that the new Yaris will feature all new sheet metal and an updated interior design, but the underpinnings and powertrains will remain largely intact.

When the refreshed Yaris bows, it will join a new Camry that couldn't appear fast enough.We can't think of a better way for Toyota to turn the corner than with fresh product, and it appears we will get just that by the end of the year.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/06/r...ter-this-year/

So it looks like the trusty 1NZ-FE will be staying around.

Thoughts? Good? Bad? Otherwise?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post

So it looks like the trusty 1NZ-FE will be staying around.

Thoughts? Good? Bad? Otherwise?
I wrote that in one of the other threads a while ago. They have to keep the Yaris as cheap as possible in the US. Anyways the 1NZ-FE is getting old but still seems to be very reliable. I guess you could even use many performance parts from the "old" Yaris for the new one, too.

Here in Europe we have the modern engines since 2009 but still no compressor or turbo kits available. Only a few handmade conversions which are way too expensive.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Really, I've been happy with my 1NZ-FE. I have intake, header, and and axle-back exhaust and routinely get 33-40 MPG. It's been plenty reliable, sans the clutch having to be replaced at 28,000 miles (same thing happend in my 2005 Scion xB). I wouldn't be heartbroken if they keep the engine yet another year. It has been in the U.S. since 2000 (Toyota Echo).
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
I sure hope we get the start-stop, CVT option and heaven help us - could we hope for direct injection? That's what the car needs to stay competitive mileage wise if they keep the current motor. Absent these things I'll be sticking with my 2009.

The big problem with the Yaris in the USA is that it comes from Japan and competes with cars built in Mexico and Korea making it impossible for Toyota financially to give us the content it needs to be a first class competitor in it's segment.

Until Toyota decides to get behind the C segment in the USA and invest in a USA or Mexican plant for the C segment the Yaris will always just be a place holder for them.

I think they would at this point rather sell you a Corolla.

Last edited by Lewis; 07-08-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
I sure hope we get the start-stop, CVT option and heaven help us - could we hope for direct injection? That's what the car needs to stay competitive mileage wise if they keep the current motor. Absent these things I'll be sticking with my 2009.

The big problem with the Yaris in the USA is that it comes from Japan and competes with cars built in Mexico and Korea making it impossible for Toyota financially to give us the content it needs to be a first class competitor in it's segment.

Until Toyota decides to get behind the C segment in the USA and invest in a USA or Mexican plant for the C segment the Yaris will always just be a place holder for them.

I think they would at this point rather sell you a Corolla.
Exactly right.

Building in Japan is expensive, and building the Yaris with barely any margin for profit is extremely tough for Toyota.

I had heard rumors about Toyota moving production to the US. Thing is, reliability is superb out of Japan which is one of the reasons why the Yaris is one of the most reliable cars ever created. Some of that quality may suffer if moved elsewhere.

For the US, yes, the Yaris has to be priced low. Otherwise, everyone just goes for the Corolla. It's not like being in Japan or Europe where people pay good money for small cars.

I don't mind them carrying over the engine, the thing is bullet proof. But like you said, they need serious efficiency upgrades for it. Everyone's doing 40 mpg now, Toyota is expected to beat that.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
There might be some hope for Toyota in the price wars at least as far as Hyundai/Kia goes.These two have really been biting into US makers sales the last few years.The Union boys aren't going to take that sitting down with all their Dem buddies looking for campaign contributions.They're going to want some hefty new import tax's imposed in return on the Korean makers pronto just as they got on Japan.
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
I wouldn't worry about the quality of a western hemisphere built Yaris Kal. The benefits to buyers here would, IMO, vastly outweigh the risks. Car manufacturing is now a mature well understood technology whose quality levels are simply the result of the amount of money manufacturers are willing to assign to it's priority. Just look at what Ford and Hyundai have been able to do with their quality scores since they've decided to invest in better quality production. Toyota's quality problems the last few years are the result of an emphasis on expansion (becoming #1 in sales) over investments in quality and innovation. Seeing where that took them might result in some reconsideration in the future.

Last edited by Lewis; 07-12-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote