Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
quick shifter

would this work for a yaris or am i better of just getting a yaris short shifterhttp://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-PTR04-5....aspx?MakeID=1
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Looks a little different... excuse the blurry picture, camera phone.

100531169_320893837_0.jpg

My buddy actually just hacked a center section out of my stock shifter with an air saw and welded the pieces back together at an angle. My short shifter cost me a 12 pack... haha.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
That TRD one is interesting, looks like the whole plastic assembly is changed, not just the rod like the TWM one or ChinoCharles' amazing high-tech shifter

Someone should get that TRD one and compare it to the stock assembly

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
The TRD one is a whole assembly. No cutting, no bodgy work needed. It maintains the height which I prefer and comes with the boot and knob.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Looks a little different... excuse the blurry picture, camera phone.

Attachment 2089

My buddy actually just hacked a center section out of my stock shifter with an air saw and welded the pieces back together at an angle. My short shifter cost me a 12 pack... haha.
umm that ain't a short shifter, the purpose of a short throw shifter is to reduce the amount the shifter has to travel to shift gears, the pivot points are relocated in a "real short shifter", which requires less travel distance.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

The throw is shorter.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
riceboy

Drives: icebox
I would rather keep the stock height.... dropping it will make it way too low... at least for me....
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Well I would like to reduce the distance between gear changing.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch
umm that ain't a short shifter, the purpose of a short throw shifter is to reduce the amount the shifter has to travel to shift gears, the pivot points are relocated in a "real short shifter", which requires less travel distance.
That may be true, but simply shortening the length of the shifter does create a shorter distance of travel at the shift knob's highest point (which is where you are grabbing the shifter).

Think of it like two lines coming to a point - the point being the base of the shifter. if the two lines are longer, there is a greater distance between the end points that are opposite to the shared point. shorten the lines, shorten the distance.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
SmellyTofu
好多人&

I think the point of a SS is reduce the throw, BUT maintain height and the force necessary to move the lever between gears. By cutting the rod will reduce the throw but increase the effort needed to move between gears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_1354.jpg (65.6 KB, 189 views)
Old 11-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

I want that boot... where did you get it?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
I think the point of a SS is reduce the throw, BUT maintain height and the force necessary to move the lever between gears. By cutting the rod will reduce the throw but increase the effort needed to move between gears.
That makes total sense - with a lowered shift knob you'll end up with a bad back!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Its true... the amount of force necessary to shift is still the same. Will a shifter bushing kit from TWM help with that? Or the C-ONE clutch line?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
I want that boot... where did you get it?
Comes with the TRD SS kit.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #15
riceboy

Drives: icebox
pricing???
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #16
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
in a sports car they keep the shifter height wise low and sorry but this is just an everyday car and the way you sit in the car it would just work better if you just had a short throw not just a short shift rod deal thing
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
Metal bushings will make the shifts more postive, stiffer and easier to get into gear, rather than the rubbery stock feeling...

The TRD Quickshift includes the bushings...

The TRD is a true "quick" shifter, it changes the fulcrum: the angle at which the lever engages the gears, making throws shorter and more direct, while maintaining the stock height, and not requiring more effort to shift into gear...The TRD also includes the entire assy so that you don't have to cannibalize your stock shifter...

The TWM also changes the fulcrum to allow shorter throws, but also shortens the shifter length, which has no bearing on the shortness of throws...A shorter shaft will increase the effort required to shift the car into gear as well...The TWM is only the lever and not the cage...+ bushings seperately...

Ultimately, they are both quality pieces of kit, it really depends on what you are looking for with your swap...

If my shifter was any shorter I'd have to lean forward to shift the car which is pointless...

Cheers
Thank you echo_hrs! I got it now... I was kind of confused when I saw the TRD shifter on the web because it had the whole cage, while TWM's shifter online looked like just a . Basically, we (monster garaged, ghetto rigged... whatever you want to call it) TWM's product. When it snaps in two I'll post about it, don't worry.

I'll be buying the bushings from TWM soon.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #18
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Here's a link to the one on the TRD site:

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_quickshift.html

I believe it's the same as the old Vitz/Echo (NCP10) even though it doesn't say so on that link above... can anyone confirm?

I like having my shifter sit real high... so I don't have to reach at all from my seat. I added a tall bubble shift knob (8" tall) and it feels great, only issue is the throw is a bit long now and the shifter isn't weighted so it took a little getting used to. I think this knob with the TRD assembly would be a perfect match for me.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote