Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
80sGuy
80S FANATIC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris LE
2012 Yaris LE Shifter Light Is Out (Automatic)

Greetings and felicitations, please forgive me if this is already posted somewhere... I did not see it. I came across this site via google search for shifter light being out. I found a link leading here to a thread about previous models that do not have said shifter light.... but I digress.

A few days ago my shifter lighter flickered as I was backing out of the parking lot but stayed on for some time. As it got dark and I pulled in to the grocery store I noticed it was out. Now it doesn't really bother me that bad as I know and am comfortable with shifting from memory. However it does bother the Mrs. so I need to find a solution.

I looked through the manual and did not find anything talking about the shifter light precisely and found no videos or posts on the subject online. I have no problem admitting that I am not that knowledgeable about the in depth inner workings of cars and what not. I know the basics and that is all. I have no clue if it there is a fuse or a bulb that needs to be replaced but i hope it is that simple, I certainly do not want to have to go to a dealer or mechanic for this problem as everything else, all other lights etc work perfectly. So please.... anyone with knowledge of this scenario and how to fix it, let me know.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:54 AM   #2
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
What did the shifter light do in an automatic? I only drive manual. Never knew there was even a light.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The bulb is part number 35955-74010

To replace it you have to remove the center console and the shift knob and then pop off the gear shift plastic cover and you will see the little bulb, mounted on the side, just under the gear indicators.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
What did the shifter light do in an automatic? I only drive manual. Never knew there was even a light.
It illuminates the the different gear positions when you switch on your headlights. i.e. these ones: (P, R, N, etc...)

Old 01-31-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
It illuminates the the different gear positions when you switch on your headlights. i.e. these ones: (P, R, N, etc...)

Gotcha. Glad it's an easy as pie fix.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
80sGuy
80S FANATIC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The bulb is part number 35955-74010

To replace it you have to remove the center console and the shift knob and then pop off the gear shift plastic cover and you will see the little bulb, mounted on the side, just under the gear indicators.
Thank you very much for this information CTScott, and thank you all for even stopping by to check this thread out. I am definitely gonna make sure I stop by here frequently and check out the rest of the forum and other threads, I am certain I can learn a great many things here, it just doesn't stop with my little situation.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Reviving this thread as this just happened to me and I'd rather keep related information all in one thread as opposed to spread out all over the place. Makes it easier for those searching for specific info.

Some additional info:

The bolt in the rear cup holder is 10mm. You need a somewhat long extension to get it. I used a 10" extension.

Once the bolt is removed lift up the console from the rear. It moves fairly easily but gets tight between the seats.

Before totally removing the console you need to remove the drop in panel where the traction control switch is located. It is just held on by a couple of tabs. I was able to wiggle it loose just with my hands. After that unplug the connector going to the TCS switch. Now you can totally remove the shift console.

Next remove the shift indicator panel. It is held on by 4 tabs (2 on drivers side, 2 on passengers side). Again this can be done by hand, but if you are having trouble I recommend using a plastic trim removal tool. Once loose just rotate it out of the way and you will see the bulb. There is no need to totally remove it but if you want to you will need to remove the shift knob. It is threaded onto the shaft. Just unscrew it.

The bulb just pulls straight out. It is not screwed in. There is a flexible plastic sheath over the bulb. Roll it off like a condom and then onto the new bulb.

As CTScott said the Toyota part number is 35955-74010, but I used a Sylvania #74 bulb. For less than the price of one at Toyota I was able to get two at AutoZone.

That said the #74 bulb is slightly fatter and the base is just a hair wider (and I mean just) than the official Toyota bulb. It fits in the socket but you may have a problem making good electrical contact. I did. I plugged it in, turned on the lights and nothing. Tried the other bulb and again no light. WTF. Got out the old multimeter, tested both bulbs for continuity, both OK. Tested old bulb, NG. Hmm...set it on DC volts, turned on lights, tested socket...12V. WTF. So I plugged one of the new bulbs back in and started wiggling it about, it lit up momentarily but wouldn't stay on. Here's the trick if this happens to you. Take the two bare wires running on either side of the bulb and bend them every so slightly away from the bulb body. They are stiff enough that they will act like a spring inside the socket, holding it in place and ensuring good electrical contact. Just make sure you have the bulb fully seated.

That's it. Put everything back opposite order you took them off and be sure to test the bulb and the TCS switch before you button everything up. All told this took me about 15 minutes and that includes my troubleshooting efforts. Would be even quicker assuming no problems. While searching the net for info on how to do this I came across a post in a Prius forum where Toyota charged someone $140 to replace this bulb on a Prius C. (Shifter, console, bulb, etc. is the same as Yaris.) Insane! Follow these instructions and save yourself $135.

And yes, I know, I should have taken pictures. I always remember after the fact, but I'm one of those old farts who grew up without a camera in my pocket 24/7. It's a different mindset.

Last edited by NYC-SE; 05-21-2019 at 05:06 PM.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote