Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #181
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
During the O.C. earlier I noticed some black pieces in the opening of the oil fill hole . Looks to be pieces of the black silicone sealant used during the fix . The tech went overboard with the sealant . Plan to try to open the oil filter to see if any silicone gathered in it . Here's a pic of the oil fill hole and outside of engine where there's the black F.I.P.G. sealant all over it . Makes you wonder how much ended up inside the engine . Top pics are the back of timing chain cover / valve cover and the bottom picture is of some black pieces ( circled in BLUE ) inside oil fill hole of valve cover . There were also many pieces in the bottom of the bucket where the used oil was drained into . This was the 3rd O.C. since the repair and these black pieces are showing up .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC1007.jpg (105.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0890.jpg (140.6 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1148.jpg (70.1 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 05-09-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #182
TXyaris

Drives: Currently stock '09 Sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
There's been a few other members that claimed to have or possbily have the oil leak , but they've disappeared . . One said they found out through CARFAX that the head cylinder gasket was replaced on their used '09 and another discovered the oil leak when working under the car while installing fog lights . Maybe they're just playing with our heads .
LOL I was serious about the carfax thing.
TXyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #183
Hershey

" LOL , I was serious about the carfax thing. "

I'd hope you weren't yanking our dipsticks . Been awhile . How's it working out for you ? How about posting the CARFAX , if it's possible ( minus part or all of the V.I.N. ) . The more the merrier for those who disbelieve .
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #184
-scallywag-

Drives: 08 Yaris 3door
My first post here, cool site for yari owners!

I love these threads!

I have an 08 yaris hatchback 5psd 38k, and after reading all 11pages of this thread, I checked the block/head on my car and guess what.....OIL!!!

Going to clean her up (my engine compartment was fithy from some recent baja trips rally car style ), drive a couple hundred miles then put her on the rack for a thorough inspection. Also sending an oil sample to blackstone ASAP.

Hershey, thanks for being diligent on this issue, although it was a painfully redundant read, if it saves me (and possibly others) major repairs down the road then it was well worth it.

I'll keep you guys informed.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #185
Hershey

If possible post some pics of the oil that has gathered . Would be an easy task for you with the rack . No crawling under the car , standing room . Good luck .

Last edited by Hershey; 05-18-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #186
-scallywag-

Drives: 08 Yaris 3door
well, I gave yari the "reach around" and snapped a pic with the GF's iphone.

I should have used the flash but obviously there is oil in the described area, seeping all the way down the timing cover.

There is no oil dripping from the car, but there is significant seepage extending all the way to the oil pan gasket. I am the only owner and I have NEVER washed the engine compartment, so the seepage has accumulated over the last 38k miles. In all reality maybe two capfulls of oil.

Never any oil loss, coolant loss, or coolant oil contamination issues.

My next step will be removing the engine cover to rule out any spilled oil during O.C's, then trying to get a visual on the source, clean the whole area/engine down and run it for a couple hundred miles, then repeat.

The oil is ready to be changed so I will also pull a sample to send to blackstone. That should tell the whole story. I will also run a compression test.

If anything looks questionable I will write toyota directly with my issues since I am out of warrenty, and go from there. This aproach has worked in the past and saves you the dealer's BS. In my experience Corp. will honor the warrenty and start a service order (not sure what they call it), then you take it to your local dealers and give them the #, and hope for the best.

I am hopeful that this is a "benign" head gasket seepage problem, and oil is only seeping externally. We'll see!!!

I'll keep y'all posted
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #187
Hershey

" well, I gave yari the "reach around" and snapped a pic with the GF's iphone.

Thanks for taking the photo .

" seeping all the way down the timing cover. "

This is how I found the '08 sedan with 17,893 miles and the 2010 3 door with 3,467 miles at the time of the O.C. for the sedan . Then checked the 2010 after finishing O.C. for the '08 . Also was on the top of the oil pan . Our friends 2010 3 door is very similar to yours . Have been monitoring that since last September .

" There is no oil dripping from the car, but there is significant seepage extending all the way to the oil pan gasket. "

Some oil would most likely fall to the ground when driving , due to it accumulating on the top of the oil pan . The dipstick for the 2010 would drop about 1/4" below the full mark by the time for next O.C. ( 4,000 + mis. ) .

My next step will be removing the engine cover to rule out any spilled oil during O.C's, then trying to get a visual on the source, clean the whole area/engine down and run it for a couple hundred miles, then repeat.

Good plan .

" The oil is ready to be changed so I will also pull a sample to send to blackstone. That should tell the whole story. "

It may . The U.O.A. I posted for the 2010 in the D.I.Y. forum shows no contaminants at 16,611 miles on the engine . The higher mileage you have could present an issue . Won't know until you send it in .

" I will run a compression test "

We never had that done . Did think of it . The oil comes from the #1 cylinder of the H.C.G. , cylinder 1 is closet to the timing chain ( you may be already aware of that ) . Be interesting to see if that is possibly lower than the others . Let us know your findings .

" I am out of warranty "

Not the case . You should be covered under the 5 year / 60,000 mile powertrain warranty .

" I am hopeful that this is a " benign " head gasket seepage problem , and oil is only seeping externally . We'll see !!! "

We're watching our friends 2010 3 door ( 70,000+ mis. ) to see if the H.C.G. craps out , hopefully not . May end up looking like this at 102,000 miles .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cylinders.jpg (43.1 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 05-20-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #188
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
Bumping this thread,as i recently discovered that a few 1nz fe have this leak.
A friend with the boosted TRD motor has the leak close to the timing chain cover and head/block region. Its nothing spectacular but the block is 'damp' with oil around this area.

So what you you people have done?

Replace the head gasket and torqued the head more?

Or just replaced the head gasket?

Thanks.
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #189
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
hate to be the one to bring an old thread back to life, but after removing my 2010 engine i took some pics. i think these will be the most clear pics in this thread and do point towards an issue with the head gasket sweating oil. Also possibly a new "ledge" to check for oil residue. Please keep in mind, i know i had an exhaust leak at my header, that is definatly not the cause of the residue. I will post more pics once i tear down into the engine more.

Edit to highlight key points

Green - Head gasket
red - Oil residue (sweating gasket) area
Blue - Exhaust leak
RED ARROW - seating gasket, THERE IS NO OTHER WAY FOR OIL RESIDUE TO GET THERE

Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #190
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Personally if I had this happen to me I would monitor the oil consumption very carefully.
Also I would put a piece of cardboard on the ground under the engine and park it there every night.

If the oil didnt fall much on the disstick and there wasnt much oil on the cardboard, I would leave it alone! Theres more trouble to be had by strangers I dont know if they know what theyre doing taking apart the engine and "fixing" it. Also, who is to say a new head gasket WILL fix the problem? What if it doesnt? What if the well meaning people at Toyota screw something else up?

If the compression goes south and the engine starts burning coolant that would be different.

Does anyone know exactly were under the HG the oil is coming from? Maybe that can be modifyed?

One thing bothers me is the reports of new Yaris's with overfilled crankcases. The oil needed is 3.7 qts probably they are putting four liters full in there. Could that do it?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #191
jRoss

Drives: 2010 5spd sedan
This thread is painful to read, i'll be checking my block later... i did glance around there before i bought the car but now i'm going to check this specific area. Even if i am leaking, i would probably take bronsin's approach, i've had slow leaks on cars before that didn't cause major damage during the time i drove it.
jRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #192
Hershey

I say , let it be . Our friends' 2010 has the same leak since new and there's over 125,000 miles . Just check the level every week .
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #193
Hershey

I've found a few SCION XBs that have the same engine as the YARIS to have same oil leak . Not sure about the XAs . Rarely see those at used car lots .

Last edited by Hershey; 12-08-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #194
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Hershey, lets not jump to conclusions and make a pandemic over something that isnt proven.

Please note i have been monitoring this since 2010 when i got my car and it was always existent but i never once noticed oil on the ground under my car, even after it sat for numerous days at a time. Also i never once noticed my oil dip stick dropped, even after i was boosted i only once noticed an oil drop and it was due to a seperate oil leak on a turbo line.

another note, my car parks in the same spot every night in my garage, the same way. there has never been an oil drip on my white concrete floor.

All that being said, this oil debris was visible on my 2010 yaris since about 4-6 months old (when i first checked)

I do believe My car is not a perfect example as it was oil changed at the dealer since day one and im not 100% sure they did not ever "miss" the oil fill hole. i do believe if they were missing and some was running down the back of the engine i would smell a burning when it hit the header and also the chances of just missing enough to run down the back of the engine and stop on the ledge without going any lower is a long shot. I am comfortable in saying some of this collection of oil and debris could have been caused from oil change sloppyness but i am not able to say that all of this has been caused from oil change sloppyness.

I will attach more pictures soon of the head gasket, from impressions in the head gasket i can say i did not see any failed points but the possibility of raw exhaust (carbon, oil, and other compression debris) blowing through the 2 piece layered head gasket.

Calling this a "Leak" may be premature and incorrect, i am still leaning towards the gasket sweating out between them.

Something else to note, the 2 head bolts on the timing chain edge did seem not as torqued down as the other bolts.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #195
Hershey

I'm fine with it now . It's oil under the pan .

Last edited by Hershey; 12-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #196
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I've found a few SCION XBs that the same engine as the YARIS to have same oil leak . Not sure about the XAs . Rarely see those at used car lots .
Agreed. i don't see as many XAs out on the road either.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #197
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I'm fine with it now . It's oil under the pan .
Pun of the Day .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #198
zkay

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan 4-DR
No leak on my 06/10 manufactured 2010 sedan.
zkay is offline   Reply With Quote