Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Any oldschool obd1 mechanics here i need help with a diagnosis

So story goes my friend has a 93 lexus gs300. I did a seafoam intake manifold cleaning for him. Next day he says his car is shaky at idle. I take it for a test drive and can feel what he is talking about. So i attempt another cleaning thinking that maybe a piece of carbon broke off and reattached itself to a valve. This time the car is worse now and occasionally stalling at idle. But luckly check engine light is on. It has a code 31 something to do with VAF sensor which i guess is a MAF sensor. I remove it and attempt to clean it with electrical contact cleaner but no change.

I assumed the massive amount of smoke went back up the intake and contaminated the sensor. I checked the price for a new one at lexus and wholesale cost is over 800 bucks. I ordred a used one on ebay and threw it in and car is doing exactly the same thing.

I am about to remove the throttle body and try to clean all the crap out and clean the idle air control valve. But i really dont want to go through all the work. Also i dont really think that may solve the problem. I guess its possible the used sensor is faulty. But the thing is there is absolutely no change in how the car ran before or after whichever sensor i use.

Any mechanics here work for toyota or lexus have experience with something like this. I am now responsible for the car since it had no problems running till i touched it and its sitting in my garage at home. So every day i get off work in working again in my garage till i fix this which is really stressful.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
My suggestion is to bring it in to Toyota and see what they have to say.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
YarisSedan

From my experience the dealership has little diagnostic experience. Thier approach to repair is to replace all sensors or components that could be possible causes of the problem. I dont need to go to the dealer for that. Otherwise i woudl jsut change the TPS IAC and VAF sensors and be done with it.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Idle Air control valve. Take it off and clean it thoroughly. Thick carbon probably came off and got caught into the screen of the idle air control valve
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
did you probe the 'new' sensor to see if its actually sending a signal?

able to obtain a copy of a service manual?

wait..wait....wait......

i-man cleaning with seafoam...first try checking the air filter....then try checking the pressure for the rail and then the injectors.....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #6
YarisSedan

I think i have to agree with function. I jsut realized it the car has a very low idle which is why the car wants to die. Which will also set a code 31 the maf is functioning properly its detecting the low amount of air volume. Tomorrow i am going to remove the iac valve i bet its really gummed up. Only thing is i think i have to remove the throttle body to do that because of where the bottom screw of the valve is.

Only other thing i can think of is if the car hydrolocked and skipped timing.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Ye Olde School..... ignoring codes and electronics for a moment (you said old ;) )

The shaky idle is normally caused by a vacuum leak. If it suddenly gets worse after something was done..... I would recheck the fuel system and hunt for the leak.

Now moving to modern times...... once a code is tossed with the CEL then the ecu will revert to a base program. There are I believe 4-5 systems that "check in" with the ecu on the toyota lexus (circa 1993).

If you did a top end cleaning I agree that something may have broken loose and is blocking a line.

I highly doubt it was " hydrolocked and skipped timing"

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
not sure if it's been said yet, but try replacing the PCV valve.. it's a 2jz.. so there's plenty of opportunity for vacuum leaks

spray starting fluid around the engine bay on vacuum hoses and if you get a sputter, you've found a leaking point.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
just a question though... Was it working fine before you tried to "fix" it ?
If so, why did you try to fix it when there wasn't any problems? :)

ok i'm not helping in any way..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
just a question though... Was it working fine before you tried to "fix" it ?
If so, why did you try to fix it when there wasn't any problems? :)

ok i'm not helping in any way..
do you not know what seafoam is?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
IllusionX

it will dissolve carbon build ups on the pistons. but why? If there's no problems with the engine in the first place, i don't see why one would do that. Now his engine is not running fine and throws a check engine...

Anyways, i made my point. thank you. :)
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
it will dissolve carbon build ups on the pistons. but why? If there's no problems with the engine in the first place, i don't see why one would do that. Now his engine is not running fine and throws a check engine...

Anyways, i made my point. thank you. :)
so, if it dissolves carbon buildup, wouldn't that help dissolve carbon buildup in the engine, thereby making the vehicle run better?

your attempt at sarcasm is so far a serious fail
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
IllusionX

hey.. my point is:

It's old, it's working. don't touch it. It's as simple as that.

No offense to YarisSedan, but good luck with the car.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
It may be that I am just lazy (well, I am, really), but I agree with illusion: if it ain't broke, why fix it? SeaFoam has its place, but personally, I don't think that place is in a vehicle that is running fine.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
It may be that I am just lazy (well, I am, really), but I agree with illusion: if it ain't broke, why fix it? SeaFoam has its place, but personally, I don't think that place is in a vehicle that is running fine.
"fine" is relative..
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
not sure if it's been said yet, but try replacing the PCV valve.. it's a 2jz.. so there's plenty of opportunity for vacuum leaks

spray starting fluid around the engine bay on vacuum hoses and if you get a sputter, you've found a leaking point.
Belive me i checked all that. I sprayed carb cleaner at base of intake manifold checked all vacuum lines removed the pcv valve and checked operation and then cleaned it with carb cleaner.

I think what im going to do tonight is remove the throttle body and clean it out and remove the idle air control valve. I am assuming its completely gummed up.

I did the seafoam to try to help him out. He was getting poor gas milage. I have done atleast 50 seafoam treatments with no problems. But i guess this particular car decided to act up. From now i i dont think i will do seafoam on any car that has more than 100k miles unless its been regularly serviced and maintained for fear of causing a problem. I guess live and learn.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
on my 93 lincoln i seafoamed and literally drove the crap out of it. all better. :)
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Tamago

clogged IAC valve?
you nailed it sir.