Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
yarswiss
Albino truck smasher

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Auto
Back hurt?

I've lately been getting an aching pain on my upper back after driving in the Yaris after about 25 minutes on long commutes. I've tried different seat position, from way back with the seat completely upright, to very close and the seat leaning further back, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm thinking it may be because I have wide shoulders and my back doesn't really touch the seat back, and only the sides are supported, causing my back to cave in. Anyone found a good seating position for this problem, or something that one can put on the seat itself that might help?
yarswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I haven't noticed any back pain, but I think I have shifters elbow..lol I guess I need to get that quick shifter pronto...

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i use to have that so what i did was not to carry my wallet on my back pocket...it helped
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i use to have that so what i did was not to carry my wallet on my back pocket...it helped
Oh so true, get a front pocket wallet.

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
18890 miles in 6 months.... no back pain. My foot would cramp on the gas so I installed cruise control.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
on long drives... say 2hrs or more i take my wallet out and put it in the console. It does make a difference.

If you're single... and willing to change up your bed.... I'd say pick up a Japanese "Futon".

When I lived in Japan I did not have a single back ache. I'm 6'4" and have back aches, though not serious, fairly often unless I do lots of back workouts.
I had a 43 year old Welsh roommate in japan, and he also commented that since sleeping on the japanese futon he did not have any back trouble.

The futons we used were the ultra cheap ones that are like a dense foam on the bottom, with a softer pillow like matress on top, and rested right on the floor. So no box spring, or frame that raised it off the floor.

I think the main reason why I sometimes have back pain is because of the bed springs & frame not being stiff enough.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I know what you mean, I have to say the Yaris seats are the most uncomfortable seats I've had in a car, but I have also been spoiled by european cars that have seats with lumbar support. I was experiencing back pain just driving to work (25 mins), so I looked for a back rest and found something very similar to this http://www.restnrelaxbackcare.com/backrest.html. I got this at a local pharmacy that has been recently bought by Walgreens, so you may want to check Walgreens just in case.
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
I've had worse, but I too think Yaris skimped on the seats. If the bottom of the seat angle could adjust higher in front under the legs and if the whole seat had thicker cushioning, lumbar support and wider shoulder support like yarswiss mentioned, I would have gladly paid more, but so far no back pain.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
It's a cheap car, and I didn't expect anything deluxe. Seats are okay, just not great is all. I find that I get shinsplints from the throttle being way too soft.

I'm old, but I dumped the box spring BS decades ago and built my own bed; uses 5/8 ply under a quality mattress. Consequently I have no back problems. Futons are also great, but my wife isn't comfortable on them.....
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
Rotorheader

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatchback
Differently from what several of you have done, I raised the BACK end of my seat rails by 1" and have found over the past ten days that this mod helps out my back pains. I feel like my butt is now sitting ON the seat rather than IN the seat. I was surprized the improvement in my personal comfort level. The replacement bolts cost me less than $4.00 for four, and the installation took only 30 minutes.
Rotorheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

Drives: 07' Polar White sedan Base
Send a message via MSN to CpKi1g3 Send a message via Yahoo to CpKi1g3
how bout a hard hitting sound system and bump it up, with the all the vibration its relaxing my 6'+ friend agrees with me, but with him sitting on the passenger side which is more uncomfortable
CpKi1g3 is offline   Reply With Quote