Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
MeggiemobileSFLA

Drives: yaris sedan
Thumbs down ABS....Again~~

Please, anyone out there with a Yaris sedan that has power package with ABS. I need to know if you have a specific noise that is heard only the when first turning the car on and putting it into gear and then hitting the gas(in that seqeunce). Only when you hit the gas does it do it and it only happens once. The only way to recreate the noise is turning it off and doing it all over again. Mine has done it since the first day i bought it and i keep being told that its my ABS resetting or being initiated. Since the yaris doesnt have alot of sound insulation is supposedly the reason why i hear the noise. The dealer people are nice but i just dont buy the fact that my car should make a noise.... It's pretty inconsistent in the severity of the noise, meaning sometimes it's louder than other times. Since its so inconsistent, that makes me think that its something else, possibly serious to the point where i may be hurting the car by driving and making it make that noise. I would really appreciate any response from anyone who has the sedan with ABS... My next step is to visit another dealership to possibly test drive a sedan with ABS to compare....The dealership i bought it from keeps jerking me around and i have been there 5 times in a month, which is when i bought it....HELP
MeggiemobileSFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
is it a humming noise??? if it is, is prob normal. Acuras do that all the time. in that same sequence!
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Dragonacc

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 70 Mach 1, 84 5.0
The ABS sounds like a plausible explanation to me. If you're losing sleep over you should go ahead and take it to another dealership.
Dragonacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Aaaaaaah, is it some kind of high pitched spinning noise? Our company car is a Toyota Fortuner (small SUV), with auto gearbox and ABS, and it does make that sound in the same sequence you describe.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggiemobileSFLA View Post
Please, anyone out there with a Yaris sedan that has power package with ABS. I need to know if you have a specific noise that is heard only the when first turning the car on and putting it into gear and then hitting the gas(in that seqeunce). Only when you hit the gas does it do it and it only happens once. The only way to recreate the noise is turning it off and doing it all over again. Mine has done it since the first day i bought it and i keep being told that its my ABS resetting or being initiated. Since the yaris doesnt have alot of sound insulation is supposedly the reason why i hear the noise. The dealer people are nice but i just dont buy the fact that my car should make a noise.... It's pretty inconsistent in the severity of the noise, meaning sometimes it's louder than other times. Since its so inconsistent, that makes me think that its something else, possibly serious to the point where i may be hurting the car by driving and making it make that noise. I would really appreciate any response from anyone who has the sedan with ABS... My next step is to visit another dealership to possibly test drive a sedan with ABS to compare....The dealership i bought it from keeps jerking me around and i have been there 5 times in a month, which is when i bought it....HELP
I have to say that without at least some sort of explanation of what the sound "sounds" like I'm stumped.. Also, is it getting worse? or does it interfere with your cars operation in some way?
-Peter
Old 03-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
AaronATL

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
fuel pump... maybe?? does it when you turn it off
and for a few seconds after the ignition is off (same noise)

anyways take it to dealer, show them once
what it does... then get into your loaner
toyota and return after a cross country drive
and when the problem is solved
AaronATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
MeggiemobileSFLA

The noise that it makes can only be compared to if you threw a penny up under the car and it hit somethin metal.. "ta-ting". Or the only other thing it sounds like to me is if you let a spring go and let it hit something else metal. I mean you can almost feel it in the gas petal when it happens so i have no idea what to think. If it was ABS reset or whatever, youd think it would be consistent all the time. I wouldnt say it's getting worse but i will say its louder or easier to hear than other times. I dont believe the dealership dudes since they have blown me off before... They claimed they called up some other dealerships to compare(they didnt have another yaris with ABS on their lot) and they claimed that they all agreed the other sedan's with ABS made the same noise. If you guys dont hear it too then there lying to me..... They made it like it's definitely supposed to do that and that there was nothing i could do about it... The fact that the car will only do it that one time, when turning it on and putting it into gear and hitting the gas, made their story believable since youd think ABS does initiate when you first turn the car on...It just doesnt add up when you hear what the noise sounds like... I dont think Toyota deliberately made the yaris with a loud noise that can be heard everytime you drive it or i should say everytime you turn it on and press the gas ... It makes me depressed to know that my car is probably the only one out there making this noise and no one wants to help me fix it. My last thought is i really hate to think that my car will be like the guinea pig when it comes to this noise and i dont want my brand new car being taken all apart just cuz the dealership doesnt know what the hell the noise is. Should i write corporate a letter??... I mean technically i have given these guys there 3 shots at fixing the noise and here in FL we have the lemon law where i could try and push for a replacement vehicle.. Sounds a little drastic but i dont wanna settle for less than perfect... So, in conclusion, like i said, if you guys out there have the sedan with ABS and DONT hear the noise, then im being totally lied to and need to figure out how i can resolve this problem..
Old 03-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
...a ta-ting noise? Hmmm . So, the dealership told You, they all agreed the Other sedans with ABS made the same noise? One question, then I'll leave You alone.........Have YOU (after all this time) driven or ridden in another Sedan/s with ABS from any of these dealer lots (also including where the person you bought the vehicle from)? At least You will be able to determin if You're getting the "shaft" .
This is not a question but a suggestion because that's what your asking......try also a Toyota Fortuner as eT?MaGo mentioned having the similair/ sequence noise as you discribe. This has been going on now for a long time, and you have'nt gone to another dealership yet (oop's, sorry, that was two questions)?
Goodluck anyway in the outcome.

Southern, NH
Old 03-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
MeggiemobileSFLA

Apparently at this time, my dealership doesnt have any other yaris with ABS to compare it to and thats why they said they called up other dealerships and asked them. Since i dont believe they did that, im gonna visit another dealership myself. The reason i havent gone yet is i was told it was normal... How am i supposed to know??? Im now doubting them and thats why i wrote you guys on here to confirm my doubts. Thats all
Old 03-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
AaronATL

problem not fixed

why in the hell are you not in
your new toyota loaner car
driving cross country
while they try to figure it out?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
AaronATL

watch this video it's cool
Autobrake: RTO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5N2uBqJbVU

airspeed restrictions, speed 210 @ VR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn2zS3gmSos

Last edited by AaronATL; 04-01-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
cascherman
I've made a post!

Drives: 1989 Volvo 740 Turbo
It is the ABS self test. It's a diagnostic test run by the ABS unit every drive cycle. I work at a Volvo dealer as a tech, and volvos have been doing the audible self test since the mid-90's. We've had complaints about it, but it is actually normal.
cascherman is offline   Reply With Quote