Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
ArtD
I've made a post!

Drives: 2001 Echo
almost a Yaris...I need help!

2001 Echo intermittent starting problem

Background: 2001 Echo we have had for about 3 years now. Bought it with a bad engine, car had 110,000 miles. Engine replaced with one from Yaris that, at the time had 8,000 miles on it. Many things were replaced during the swap, among them the entire fuel pump assembly in tank. Now have 176,000 trouble free miles. Car has always run perfectly. Amsoil changed every 5,000 miles, occasional use of Lucas Fuel system conditioner. O2 Sensor and Cat changed about a year ago. Oem Toyota for the O2 sensor.

Problem- A few months ago, the old girl started turning over but not starting right up. Its not that it would turn over slowly, the battery is new. It spins as if its not getting spark or fuel. It then starts...on the second...or maybe third attempt. Sometimes 4 attempts are needed. It does not matter if its hot or cool out...does not matter if the engine is cold or fully warmed up. Might do it first time in the morning..then not for a few days...and then after being run for 30 miles. Does not matter if the A/C is on or off. Day or night. Hot or cold. Gas tank can be full...gas tank can be 1/4 full. There is literally no pattern at all. None. The check engine light never comes on. When it does start , it starts like it always did/does, instantly. And then runs like it always does, perfectly.

What I have done- First I replaced the crank sensor, factory Toyota part was used. That did not do anything, but if possible car ran smoother yet and was just a tick peppier. Then replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor..again, with the factory part purchased straight from Toyota. Same thing...nothing happened. Still the same intermittent problem. The only thing, if I was parsing things a bit, it seems that its not screwing up quite as often and when it does it always seems to start on the second try now. Its only been a couple of days since I swapped the MAF sensor out.

Ok folks..what is it?? It is for sure not getting either spark or fuel when its spinning. And remember, the car runs absolutely perfectly, most of the time if you were deaf and looking at the motor you could not tell it was running, it runs that smoothly. Any Toyota techs out there got any ideas? Anyone else gone thru this?

We like the little s**t, its been a pretty good car and there are so many new parts there is no reason to dump the old girl. I don't want to simply throw money at it either. My gut tells me its one thing, and probably not anything too involved either....but that's just me!
ArtD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The fuel filter may be the issue. If it is gummed up it may be making it difficult for the pump to get enough fuel in for starting. Likewise plugged injectors could cause a similar behavior.

On the spark side, failing coil packs will generally cause more issues than just starting.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
georgeg

Drives: 2008 yaris 1.4 d4d
Hi i have exactly the same problem with my 2008 1.4 d4d yaris. Did you find what the problem is?
georgeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Wow Yaris engine in an ECHO!

Is there a fuel pump relay in these cars? I had a VW Fox with similar problem I sold cheap and that's what it was.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I'd be checking the fuel pressure & bleed down rate.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote