Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
tenchsama

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan black
Debris in heater box, water under dashboard

Hi all,

2009 Toyota Yaris sedan, 76000 miles -

During the summer I began to get a water leak under the passenger side dash when running A/C, sloshing water sound when making turns. Turned out there was a build up of debris (leaves, pine needles) in the heater box. Pinching, blowing out drainage tube no help. Had to have dashboard pulled and box cleaned out ($1000 mostly labor) - not covered by warranty or considered a defect - of course.

Ive heard that Toyota is aware of the problem and there is a replacement cowl (under windshield wiper?) designed to prevent debris from getting into engine compartment/heater box but can't get any information on this...

Has anyone else heard about a replacement cowl?

Any ideas on who to contact - no response from Toyota yet.

Thanks

Last edited by tenchsama; 12-28-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: tags
tenchsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchsama View Post
Hi all,

2009 Toyota Yaris sedan, 76000 miles -

During the summer I began to get a water leak under the passenger side dash when running A/C, sloshing water sound when making turns. Turned out there was a build up of debris (leaves, pine needles) in the heater box. Pinching, blowing out drainage tube no help. Had to have dashboard pulled and box cleaned out ($1000 mostly labor) - not covered by warranty or considered a defect - of course.

Ive heard that Toyota is aware of the problem and there is a replacement cowl (under windshield wiper?) designed to prevent debris from getting into engine compartment/heater box but can't get any information on this...

Has anyone else heard about a replacement cowl?

Any ideas on who to contact - no response from Toyota yet.

Thanks
The replacement cowl was just for 07. The 08+ Yaris have had the newer cowl. The real key though is using a filter in the cabin air filter slot behind the glove box. That will prevent all large particles from entering the air box.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
SecondYaris

Drives: 2013 Yaris HB
I had the same problem when I owned my first Yaris 2007, took it to the dealer since it was still under warranty, they opened the blower box and emptied a ton of leaves stuck inside, also there was a clear rubber hose under the passenger side firewall that is suppose to drain this it, also gets plugged up. I don't think I was the first one with that problem.

The fix that I never got around to is put some sort of a screen cover over or under the windshield cowl intake, right under the wipers. I now have a 2013 Yaris, guess what it already has a screen cover under the cowl, so I hope this will prevent that problem.
SecondYaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water leak