Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
10 year battery? NO WAY MAN, not in south texas heat. I've been driving since high school , over 30 years and most car batteries last on average 4-5 years down here. The battery that came in the Brand new Dodge Durango I bought a few years back only lasted 2 years. That Dodge suv was a problem since day one and I will never in the rest of my lifetime will I ever buy a Dodge again.
I definitely agree that down there you will never see a lead acid battery last 10 years.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
When I vacation I pull the negative battery cable on all of my Yaris that are left behind. On Crashy I installed a quick disconnect, since she often goes for weeks without use.
Thanks so much!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #21
honestabe
The Battery Guru

Drives: 08 2-door hatchback 5-speed
Pulling the battery's negative cable only helps if your car has a draw somewhere. The battery naturally discharges over time since it is a chemical reaction. Optima battery's are no longer a good quality battery since they are now made in Mexico and they don't have climate control in their facility. In battery manufacturing climate control is critical (hence why NorthStar puts such a large emphasis on their facility being the same temperature and humidity anywhere in the facility).

AGM batteries are the best option, like the Exide Edge (which comes with a 4 year free replacement warranty). DEKA (aka East Penn) also makes a really high quality maintenance free battery that consistently outperforms what it's rated at. My next battery for my Yaris (3 year old Duracell made by East Penn) is still putting out around 400 CCA's due to propper maintenance.

If ya'll have any battery questions feel free to ask, I sell batteries for a living.
honestabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
I sell batteries for a living.
Exactly. You aren't an EE. CTScott is an EE, who consults in the automotive industry. I'd be willing to bet that CTScott has the sharpest opinion (intellectually) on this subject among all Yarisworld members, and that most people who have been active members here for more than a few months would probably agree with me. I think it is great that you have a passion for what you do, but CTScott's opinion carries more weight here.

Irrespective of the above, welcome to the forum .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
honestabe
The Battery Guru

Drives: 08 2-door hatchback 5-speed
What's an EE? I know quite a bit about batteries. It's a bit funny to find out though that the Yaris doesn't use a BCI sized battery. My Energizer battery along with every other group-35 battery I measured in my store today were all the same height. Maybe there's a mm difference in height between some, but any group-35 battery should work.

And thank you for the welcome.
honestabe is offline   Reply With Quote