Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
Home made handling mods/parts???

Are most all of the strut tie bars and chassis stiffeners just mild steel/ aluminum or are they heat treated for some reason I don't quite get? Why don't people just fabricate their own? Voodoo, Santeria, Quantum Physics, Fear of being laughed at?

I kind of get why anti-sway bars are not home-made due to the whole spring issue (heat treating) so I'll be buying that soon.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think most of it comes to cost. it probably isn't worth the time and effort to make your own when you can easily buy the ones that are mass produced. my time is valuable, as is most peoples. I work a lot and have a daughter that I love spending time with. I would much rather pay someone to figure out all the mess and just bolt it in place. besides, unless you are really into it, you don't need all that stuff. it is nice to have but most people are good with a sway bar and maybe a few extras.

just my 2 cents
Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Even if you were good at working the metals, the prices of what you can get are so insanely low it makes no sense. http://shop.microimageonline.com/Bracing-Bars_c22.htmhttp://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...aris&_osacat=0

Plus these companies take the time to make sure the part does what it is suppose to, and they have access to computers and software we don't.

Now if you work with the materials in your day job, and are sure you can do it well and quickly, then go for it.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It's takes decent welding skill to assemble a part that (1) will fit and (2) won't fail under stress.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Are most all of the strut tie bars and chassis stiffeners just mild steel/ aluminum or are they heat treated for some reason I don't quite get? Why don't people just fabricate their own?
When we buy manufactured parts from a company, there is something else we receive which comes already built into each product...

...engineered design.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
That's true, but for something like a mid-brace for example it's really just a strip of steel with two holes. I totally understand and appreciate the do-it-yourself side of things -- I'll cheer anyone on doing a DIY!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Hussain-Vtec

Drives: ECHO NCP-12/2NZ-FE
I am Doing and testing my own made Cold Air system after finish and fully test i will post it in here, i like to do it on my own way.
ALL-TECHwire
Hussain-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
When it's ready, I'd like to see what you come up with, as I'm interested in intake and exhaust flow designs.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Hussain-Vtec

Drives: ECHO NCP-12/2NZ-FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
When it's ready, I'd like to see what you come up with, as I'm interested in intake and exhaust flow designs.
I will Do That & thank you Tooter for showing the interest.
Hussain-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
Sedan

Drives: '08 Manual Yaris Sedan
Hi guys,

Sorry for digging up an old thread.

I was on the hunt for a rear sway bar for a while. But after a while gave up since I was not able to find one of good quality ( judged only by the finishes though) and the quoted prices were not reasonable in my opinion. mind you, Im not in the US.

Came up with and idea of making one for my self. I have a friend with a steel work shop and he said he can make one if specs are available.

So guys if any one has the dimensions, the thickness of the tube, plates and what not. Please share. Also if there are other treatments to be done, please recommend.

Thanks.
Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Common tubing sizes. The question really comes down to what rate are you looking for?

5/8"(16mm) solid
3/4"(19mm) .120 wall
1"(24mm) .120 wall
1"(24mm) .095 wall
1.25"(32mm) 0.095 wall
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #12
Sedan

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Can you explain the value for the wall thickness. Is the value given as 0.120 inches?

Further, would appreciate if you could specify the plate thickness.

Does the shape of the bar play a major role. The three designs Ive seen on the internet have three very different shapes.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #13
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Yes the value is given in inches, thats mainly due to tube stock here being referenced in inches rather than in metric. I can't specify thickness since you really need to figure out what bar rate your looking for, which isn't something I can give you an answer for. TRD is a 19mm bar and UR is a 24mm bar beyond that I can't give you any answers.

Bar shape is important, as more bends decreases the effective rate of the bar but it really comes down to fitment, if the bars have to bend to fit, they have to bend to fit.

Here is a link that gives a brief explanation of swaybar design.

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_fi...ons162file.pdf
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #14
Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Yes the value is given in inches, thats mainly due to tube stock here being referenced in inches rather than in metric. I can't specify thickness since you really need to figure out what bar rate your looking for, which isn't something I can give you an answer for. TRD is a 19mm bar and UR is a 24mm bar beyond that I can't give you any answers.

Bar shape is important, as more bends decreases the effective rate of the bar but it really comes down to fitment, if the bars have to bend to fit, they have to bend to fit.

Here is a link that gives a brief explanation of swaybar design.

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_fi...ons162file.pdf

Thank you very much for the information. Now I have a starting point. Will check with the local suppliers for the available tube sizes.