Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Cezza07

Drives: 2014 Toyota Yaris L
Performance Mods

Okay so I have a 2014 Yaris (03/14) 4dr, and it's a nippy little thing!

I was just wondering what type of performance mods all you guys have done on this generation of Yaris?
I live in California, so I am limited as to what I can LEGALLY do on the engine and such, however I am thinking about doing the suspension, low profile tyres and nicer rims (I know those two are cosmetic rather than performance)

I'm thinking about doing a RAM intake too, but I will have to remove it and put the box back in every 2 years, so we shall see!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
suspension and tires are the most important part of performance. do that first.
remove and install airbox=15 minutes
1zz throttle body is great. $35 at pull&save or whatever...
i have a ported manifold with spacer for sale
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58478
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Performance Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezza07 View Post
Okay so I have a 2014 Yaris (03/14) 4dr, and it's a nippy little thing!

I was just wondering what type of performance mods all you guys have done on this generation of Yaris?

I live in California, so I am limited as to what I can LEGALLY do on the engine and such, however I am thinking about doing the suspension, low profile tyres and nicer rims (I know those two are cosmetic rather than performance)

I'm thinking about doing a RAM intake too, but I will have to remove it and put the box back in every 2 years, so we shall see!

You can swap the 1NZ for the 2ZR from a Scion xD or Corolla. That adds 30 easy horsepower and no considerable weight gains. Transmission bolts up the same because those cars use the same (automatic) transmission, albeit with a different flex plate. It's fairly easy as far as motor swaps go but not all that cheap and it's also quite difficult to source a good engine for decent price. I was going to just get a salvage donor car from a local yard. Motor mounts up pretty easy but getting the ECU properly wired up is tricky, you would also need a custom fabricated exhaust. It's totally smog legal too as long as the motor is from a 2014 model year or newer vehicle. (I live in cali too, I've done my research, I just haven't started yet because I'm still preparing my budget.)

For cheap stuff, get good wheels and tires and a rear sway bar. That will tighten up the car really well. Perhaps even some chassis bracing. Steel brake lines would be a good addition as well.

Can't go wrong with good CAI and exhaust too, combined with a 1ZZ throttle body. I've heard of people using 1ZZ injectors too. Those would be smog legal too if you hide them well enough with a CARB legal CAI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
you would only install 1zz injectors if you are running forced induction or E85. if you install them without a need, you will run rich and do damage to catalytic converters and sensors. no gains to be had from injectors alone...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
you would only install 1zz injectors if you are running forced induction or E85. if you install them without a need, you will run rich and do damage to catalytic converters and sensors. no gains to be had from injectors alone...

Gotcha. To be fair, I said I HEARD of that. I didn't do much research on injectors.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Cezza07

Drives: 2014 Toyota Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Can't go wrong with good CAI and exhaust too, combined with a 1ZZ throttle body. I've heard of people using 1ZZ injectors too. Those would be smog legal too if you hide them well enough with a CARB legal CAI.
You can do exhausts in Cali? Everywhere I have seen, it all says "not for sale/use in states: California.

It would be nice to get a better exhaust and such.
CAI is going to be the first port of call.
And I have been looking at throttle bodies, but couldn't find any. (I'd have to get one off of a corolla or something - you say?)

Tires I'm going to get some decent ones, and some nice alloy rims too, as the steels look kinda pants.

The suspension I am looking into, but I don't want it too stiff because the Cali highways SUCK.

Thank you for all replies though!
Old 07-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
In that case you can just put in an AfE drop-in air filter also removing the carbon filter from the air box. Then put in a 1ZZ (Corolla/Matrix)throttle body. That will help open up your performance in a way that won't be visually obvious.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Another fairly straight forward mod is to replace the crank pulley wheel with a low-weight pulley or an underdrive pulley

tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Another fairly straight forward mod is to replace the crank pulley wheel with a low-weight pulley or an underdrive pulley

If doing that, try to get a pulley in either a black or grey colour, so if doesn't stand out...
Old 07-31-2017, 02:12 AM   #10
m.flores.0928

Quote:
You can do exhausts in Cali? Everywhere I have seen, it all says "not for sale/use in states: California.

It would be nice to get a better exhaust and such.

CAI is going to be the first port of call.

And I have been looking at throttle bodies, but couldn't find any. (I'd have to get one off of a corolla or something - you say?)

Tires I'm going to get some decent ones, and some nice alloy rims too, as the steels look kinda pants.

The suspension I am looking into, but I don't want it too stiff because the Cali highways SUCK.

Thank you for all replies though!

You can have an exhaust in Cali as long as it still has a cat and muffler (cat for smog and muffler for noise limitations. As long as the muffler isn't STUPID loud, you'll be fine)

However, most people save their OEM parts and for smog then they run the aftermarket parts afterwards. I would recommend registering your car in a class 1 smog area (small rural towns) because you only need to smog your car when you sell it, otherwise you never have to smog it in Cali

A 1ZZ throttle body is a pretty straight forward swap, those are easy(ish) to find for cheap. You can look for them on eBay or junkyards, etc. corollas and celicas with the 1ZZ motor

And yes Cali highways are garbage. I feel you there.