Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post
Hey all,

I have my car scheduled for it oil change for Monday morning. My shifting has gotten really rough and hard to put into gears. I told the guy last time but he basically ignored it. Now it's worse... so I made sure when I called them that they completely understood that there is an issue with my shifting and I want it fixed. I also mentioned the guy dismissing it the previous time. So I really don't know a WHOLE lot about cars... enough to get around. From this thread, I gather that the gear box has separate oil that needs to be changed to keep shifting smooth? Should I mention this to them? But I don't want to say anything if I don't know what I'm talking about...

Yes...the gearbox contains it's own fluid. Toyota states that it's a 100K mile serviceable item but no fluid should be left that long. The shifting shouldn't be bad with the stock fluid but it's definitely smoother with the MT-90. Demand that they drive the car and ensure that the gearbox is functioning as it should.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #20
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
Ok, that definitely is a good idea. You really can't tell parked putting it from gear to gear after the first one. But when you're driving... it's not very nice. Thanks! =)
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #21
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
since you're in frigid north the gear oil thickens making for poor shifting , etc.. If possible get 2 quarts of 75w-90 GL-4 synthetic gear oil such as REDLINE MT-90 ( http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...7;categoryID=7 , < than $14 a qt. ) , AMSOIL MTG , www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx , < than $14 a qt. ) or PENNZOIL GL-4 synthetic ( http://www.pennzoil.com/products/gea...#SyntheticGear , < than $12 a qt. (?)) you'll notice a big difference on those very cold days . The REDLINE and AMSOIL gear oils are a true synthetic , the PENNZOIL is not . Try to stay away from GL-5 gear oil , it'll make your driving experience even less pleasing . Know this for a fact when used MOBIL 1 GL-5 synthetic gear oil in a 2000 Chevy PRIZM ( Corolla ) . I have the MT-90 in our '08 L.B. and shifts are quite easy when car has been sitting in temps of 25 degrees or less . The switch to synthetic is well worth the money . Let us know how it works out . GOOD LUCK
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #22
suiller

Drives: Yaris Sol 1.3 dual VVTi 101hp
switched here too to MT-90, simply it's a MUST with all croppy Valeo shift

1. full ZX1 additive treatment: oil + cooler + fuel
2. NB treatment: motor oil
3. K&N panel air filter (part num. 33-2211)
4. Fuchs Silkolene Pro SRG 75 gear oil (the best!)
5. UltraRacing 19mm rear sway bar
suiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #23
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
As gid says the Yaris MT calls for a GL-4 gear oil-DO NOT use a GL-5 as it can affect performance or even be damaging to any soft metals in the tranny. The metals in some GL-4 applications don't like the high levels of sulfur that is used to give some GL-5 lubes their extreme pressure properties. The sulfur is what gives gear lubes their signature odor.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
amsoil... a lot less detergents use compare to mobil1...
Just curious which Amsoil and Mobil 1 products you are referring to and why you believe Amsoil is less detergent?

TIA

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 08-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #25
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
R2,
Not pertinent to your question above but I switched to Redline MT-90 and have drained the box twice as to get all synthetic in there. WOW....what a difference shifting is with this stuff. It shifts like butter....

Car only has 5,900 miles on it so....I'll probably change the gearbox fluid again at 15K miles just for ha ha's.....then let it go for a while.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #26
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

DerFlosser,

Yes Redline's gear/transmission lubes are widely liked and respected-I don't doubt for a second they are a noticeable upgrade. The MT-90 is GL-4 so your good to go. Your plan sounds like a good one-I usually do similar on new transmissions and differentials to get to break in metals flushed out.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #27
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post
Hey all,

I have my car scheduled for it oil change for Monday morning. My shifting has gotten really rough and hard to put into gears. I told the guy last time but he basically ignored it. Now it's worse... so I made sure when I called them that they completely understood that there is an issue with my shifting and I want it fixed. I also mentioned the guy dismissing it the previous time. So I really don't know a WHOLE lot about cars... enough to get around. From this thread, I gather that the gear box has separate oil that needs to be changed to keep shifting smooth? Should I mention this to them? But I don't want to say anything if I don't know what I'm talking about...

DIY, it's a no brainer / five minute job. I recall seeing a step-by-step process posted here somewhere.
The stealership will charge a fortune. An independant garage less perhaps but still not worth the time and expense.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #28
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
How much does the tranny take? I've changed tranny fluid in other cars and I'm used to the "fill it on level ground until it drains out the fill hole"
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #29
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
I replaced my gearbox fluid with Redline MT-90 today. It was simple...required no jacking of the car and the quantity was exactly 2 quarts. My impressions after a short drive is that...it's not much different but certainly noticeable. All gears appear a touch easier to engage, most of all first, second and reverse. Overall, a good modification for $25.
I'd just like to say .... You have the coolest name on this forum! I love the chupacabra... yes!

I've been contemplating doing the fluid switch myself.... i'm at 32k miles... maybe i'll do it next summer when i'm around 50k.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Can anyone fill me in (pun intended) on how much fluid to use? I know the shop manual specifies an amount (1.7quarts?), but is it the kind where you have to pour in the perfect amount, or the kind where you pour in fluid until it leaks out the fill hole?

Thanks!
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #31
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
I wish I could buy MT-90 locally! Cant get that mess anywhere in or around Collingwood where I live in Canada!

Apparently some shops in Toronto sell it, but its 2-2.5 hours south of me... and its simply not worth the drive down to the city in $$ and time just to pick up some gear oil

If i get some, ill hafta wait till im down there anyways and make a detour on the way home to try and purchase it.

Or i can order it online off Amazon.COM for $11 US a quart... but shipping to Canada is fucking $15-20... and ill bet ill be hit with stupid duty too... adding another ~ $10 to the cost...

Not sure its worth it to try to score this redline gear oil for my car with another 20-30 bucks added to the cost!?

What do yall think? Worth it even at around $50 for 2 quarts ???
Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
suiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
I wish I could buy MT-90 locally! Cant get that mess anywhere in or around Collingwood where I live in Canada!

Apparently some shops in Toronto sell it, but its 2-2.5 hours south of me... and its simply not worth the drive down to the city in $$ and time just to pick up some gear oil

If i get some, ill hafta wait till im down there anyways and make a detour on the way home to try and purchase it.

Or i can order it online off Amazon.COM for $11 US a quart... but shipping to Canada is fucking $15-20... and ill bet ill be hit with stupid duty too... adding another ~ $10 to the cost...

Not sure its worth it to try to score this redline gear oil for my car with another 20-30 bucks added to the cost!?

also here in italy is very hard to find but I had a good deal on ebay.co.uk... just my 2 cents ;)

Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #33
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
i did my trans fluid swap last year sometime. how often should i be changing this?

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #34
suiller

I do it about every 10/15k miles, generally I try to do it together with motor oil change, keep in mind that I use the car at 99% in urban streets, probably making a sort of 50:50 (between city & highway) you can retard the change

Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #35
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Is everyone here using a manual tranny?

Im on an automatic, and I was wondering how to change the tranny oil out. Got her since day one, and the car has around 54k miles on it now. Want to change the tranny oil to the best that I can put in there (since an extra $1-3 a quart really isn't a big deal).

Is there a DIY for this?

Thanks....
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #36
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
I

I have news for you. All these companies get their oil from the same oil tank located in Houston TX. The only difference is the bottle they put it in/the food color they add (red, purple etc)
Once I put conventional transmission oil in my ECHO. Worked great in the summer. When winter came on a cold morning it would barely shift gears until you drove like 5 miles! I had the guy add some more food coloring (orange I think) and NO PROBLEM!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote