Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Steering Wheel Issue.

Hello, Everyday when i let my car sit (and it only happens in the afternoons, NOT in the mornings) the wheel feels extremely loose, and just like i really dont know how to explain it. Like when i go to turn the wheel, it feels like its loose and like very light.

Heres my story: So i would get in my yaris in mornings around 8 am, everythings fine...i get to work and park, and it sits until 4 pm. When i go to use the steering wheel at 4 pm to come home, the steering wheel just feels loose and almost as if i was turning the wheel with it not attatched to anything! But this feeling of it being loose goes away after 5/10 minutes of driving.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this "feeling" happen to them, and if it sounds normal, or should i have it checked out.

Im sorry i couldnt explain it better!
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
Hello, Everyday when i let my car sit (and it only happens in the afternoons, NOT in the mornings) the wheel feels extremely loose, and just like i really dont know how to explain it. Like when i go to turn the wheel, it feels like its loose and like very light.

Heres my story: So i would get in my yaris in mornings around 8 am, everythings fine...i get to work and park, and it sits until 4 pm. When i go to use the steering wheel at 4 pm to come home, the steering wheel just feels loose and almost as if i was turning the wheel with it not attatched to anything! But this feeling of it being loose goes away after 5/10 minutes of driving.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this "feeling" happen to them, and if it sounds normal, or should i have it checked out.

I seem to remember a statement in the Factory Service Manual or the Owner's Manual that stated that if there was a problem with communications with the electronic power steering ECU that it'd be a bit easier to turn in some cases, though I think it was easier to turn at freeway speeds and harder to turn at low speed, so maybe that's not your problem.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I seem to remember a statement in the Factory Service Manual or the Owner's Manual that stated that if there was a problem with communications with the electronic power steering ECU that it'd be a bit easier to turn in some cases, though I think it was easier to turn at freeway speeds and harder to turn at low speed, so maybe that's not your problem.
Yeah thats not my problem, and this is an everyday issue.

But thanks!
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I thought it was super easy when you're at a super low speed. Then it stiffens up when you're going faster.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I thought it was super easy when you're at a super low speed. Then it stiffens up when you're going faster.
^^ Exactly. The wheel will tighten up the faster you go.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
If you suspect a problem..... ask the dealer to check the steering. Nothing is perfect and something may be going wrong...... you have a warranty

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
k2vitz

Drives: Vitz 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post

Yaris steering wheel is speed sensitive i.e. at low speed will move freely and at higher speed will get stiff. In your case it seems like this, so nothing to worry. Otherwise get it checked by the dealer.
k2vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
ya... plus, the fully electric powersteering helps too..

i remember when i did my window tinting at a guy's garage, we had to push the car around the garage so another car could get in, we let the key in the ignition at ACC ON because he had to roll up and down the windows. That's when i found out it was so damn easy to turn the steering wheel :P

anyways... it's warmer in the afternoon, and everything moves more freely when warm. That's why you don't get this feeling when you drive it in the morning. Anyhow, if you believe there really is something wrong, bring it to the dealer.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Take to dealer.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote