Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #37
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
How many miles do you go between oil changes?
U.S. spec Yaris calls for 5000-mile OCI.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #38
Indianspringsaz

Drives: 07 Bitchin Blue HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Looking at Amsoil own tests are interesting, especially the motorcycle test which showed that the oil I use, Maxima Ultra was one of the best tested. But asking Amsoil for test results of their products is kinda like asking the Catholic Church for proof of God dontcha think? I would be interested in any INDEPENDENT oil test results...
That said I'm sticking to the 4-5k rule, synthetic only and Baldwin filters I have used for my cars and diesel the last dozen or so years...the mechanic that I let change my Duramax engine oil now n then says my truck is one of the only ones he's seen that after the oil change the new oil still looks clean....I'm gonna drive that thing until even thing else besides the engine is worn out...that engine is 10k, at least half that to be rebuilt, not including the turbo, and I cant tell you what its worth (to me) not to be stuck on the side of the road during a family vacation trip in the middle of nowhere....
That was an independent test
Indianspringsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #39
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
The latest motorcycle oil test "White Paper" put out by AMSOIL was done by five different lads using ASTM procedures. Blind samples were submitted. A notarized affidavit certifying compliance with ASTM methodology and the accuracy of the tests was included with the test results in the Paper.

12 different tests were conducted. The over all results determined the number 1, 2, 3...position. Scoring was done as if playing golf. Lower total got first position and so on. Between 2 grades of oil 40 and 50, 32 oils were tested.

Many of the oils tested are some of the most popular on the market. I understand Maxima is a good oil as well. In fact Maxima tied with Royal Purple at number 7 overall for the 50 group with a score of 82 and number 3 overall in the 40 group with a score of 59. Amsoil's score was 30 and 32 repectively. Consider the following regarding Maxima:

It's viscousity is 10 higher then the AMSOIL SAE 40 group and 4 higher then AMSOIL in the SAE 50 group. However its shear stability (difference in viscousity from initial point and that at the end of each cycle point, 15, 30 and 90 cycles) is below viscousity grade required for both the 40 and 50 group after less then 1/4 of the max cycles used for the test. After the max cycles used (90) for the tests AMSOIL remained the highest in the 40 group and was within .2 or.3 of the number one oil in the 50 group. AMSOIL viscousity was higher then the number one oil in the 50 group. Does the higher viscousity of AMSOIL in that group make it the best or does the higher shear stability of the number one oil in that group make it the best?

As the paper indicates AMSOIL did not get the highest marks on every test and published those results in it's White Paper. This, of course will allow many to say AMSOIL is inferior. However, the overall result is what matters to most people. AMSOIL did get the highest overall rating. The above example illustrates the point I hope. A higher viscousity oil that loses viscousity over fewer cycles may not be the oil you want.

Though synthetic oils have drasticly improved over the years. AMSOIL has contnued to develope oils that remain some of the best available.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #40
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Every 5000 while under warranty
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #41
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I want to try Amsoil. Why wont they sell it in a store like a regular oil, its like a MLM scheme or something. By the time you pay shipping it damn expensive, No?
Is there a place where I can just put 4 quarts in a shopping cart and walk out with it? If I could buy some and not pay ridiculous CA sales tax that would make things even I guess.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #42
Indianspringsaz

Get it shipped to your door
05 Scion TC
01 30' Sleekcraft HP500EFI
Your Local Amsoil Dealer
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #43
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
I want to try Amsoil. Why wont they sell it in a store like a regular oil, its like a MLM scheme or something. By the time you pay shipping it damn expensive, No?
Is there a place where I can just put 4 quarts in a shopping cart and walk out with it? If I could buy some and not pay ridiculous CA sales tax that would make things even I guess.
Any local car shows? There's usually an Amsoil seller at the car shows near me. That's where my boyfriend gets his supply from. He'll buy a case at a time from them.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #44
Lazerdot

Shipping costs can be offset. Go to Trulube.com, online store . On the left there is a perferred customers save section. $10 dollars for six months gets you All Amsoil products at dealer cost. Saves about 20-25% off retail.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Old 11-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #45
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
every 10000 miles.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #46
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
I run about every 6-7k miles with Pennzoil Platinum. I normally don't have any problem with extended drain intervals provided I'm using a good filter (I run Amsoil SSO in my Mazda3) but the sludge tendencies in other Toyotas worries me a bit. Amsoil now recommends OEM intervals on all Toyotas, and has stopped selling the EAO spin-on filter for the Yaris.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #47
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Has sludge really been a problem with the 1nz, or really any small toyota engines? All the oil gelling recalls I read seemed to be mainly about larger engines, and the only 4 cylinders on the recall was the 2.0 camry if I remember correctly.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #48
Lazerdot

MANN oil fiters are now being recommended by Amsoil for the Yaris I have, an 08. 7500 miles between filter changes if using Amsoil.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #49
Indianspringsaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearda View Post
I run about every 6-7k miles with Pennzoil Platinum. I normally don't have any problem with extended drain intervals provided I'm using a good filter (I run Amsoil SSO in my Mazda3) but the sludge tendencies in other Toyotas worries me a bit. Amsoil now recommends OEM intervals on all Toyotas, and has stopped selling the EAO spin-on filter for the Yaris.
I cant find where Amsoil recommends OEM intervals on Toyotas. Would you post a reference?
05 Scion TC
01 30' Sleekcraft HP500EFI
Your Local Amsoil Dealer
Old 11-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #50
Henry G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianspringsaz View Post
That was an independent test
Its on the Amsoil website, no doubt they paid for it, how is that independent?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #51
Lazerdot

Blind testing meant the labs didn't know which oils were being tested. I would imagine Amsoil paid the labs for their work, but which companies oil was doing good or bad during each test would have been unkown to the testers.

Were you able to checkout becoming a Perferred Customer yet? Unlike some other MLM's Amsoil let's you get the benefit of dealer pricing without having to buy a minmum amount of product or becoming part of Amsoils dealer group (Program driven MLM programs want folks in the "program"). The Perferred Customer option allows you to give Amsoil a try at a reduced cost. As a Product Driven MLM, getting Premium Amsoil product into the hands of the consumer is the goal. Dealers such as myself can build the business through retail and/or commisions on purchaces through our independent own dealerships, i.e Trulube.com. I am very interested in the maximum amount of folks getting a great oil at a good price, not necessarily the profit on a retail sale.

Last edited by Lazerdot; 11-26-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #52
Henry G.

Well its them interpreting the test results no doubt. If THEY tell that the 4 ball wear test means this or that, or that THIS particular result indicates a far superior product, its really their test isnt? Its on THEIR website, written by them. Does that sound independent? Now the tests may have been done in an independent lab but do you know how important the 1 % difference is in some vapor test? Neither do I.
Its them highlighting where their product did well, and kind of skipping over whenever it didnt place first....just my take on it....
Ok found your link will check it out thanks
Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #53
Lazerdot

Cool,

By the way I could use a CA based dealer.... I may be able to get to LA in Jan (my flying schedule, and wife, permitting). We have a one day dealer meeting/training going on on the 20th.
I believe the biggest sceptic can be the best advocate. I am talking with a guy that wants to do this as business, he has pummeled me with questions and mega research. He's got his business plan and dealer name just about ready to go. I'm worn out but have learned a lot and have gained even more respect for the product as a result.
Send me an e-mail to Greg@Trulube.com and I can PDF you the Motorcycle "White Paper" were talking about if you'd like.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #54
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerdot View Post
MANN oil fiters are now being recommended by Amsoil for the Yaris I have, an 08. 7500 miles between filter changes if using Amsoil.
Does that mean Amsoil is splitting the sheets with WIX and letting MANN build the filters for them now? Before WIX I think it was Hastings that had Amsoil's recommendation.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote