Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #37
stevethegimp

Drives: '09 Blazing Blue 3D LB
I was able to install the wiring through a grommet so no drilling! It's definitely a little more aggressive in the mid range but i'm a bit on the rich side after 5000rpm, i'd rather play a bit conservative at first than run lean.

Overall the installation was not as frightening as I first thought!

stevethegimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #38
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethegimp View Post
I was able to install the wiring through a grommet so no drilling! It's definitely a little more aggressive in the mid range but i'm a bit on the rich side after 5000rpm, i'd rather play a bit conservative at first than run lean.

Overall the installation was not as frightening as I first thought!

^^ Sweet I just picked up a camcon about 2 weeks ago and im about to wire it up sunday if my Aem wideband gauge gets shipped in time . Can you please tell where the existing grommet in the firewall is and also help with the wiring . Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #39
stevethegimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
^^ Sweet I just picked up a camcon about 2 weeks ago and im about to wire it up sunday if my Aem wideband gauge gets shipped in time . Can you please tell where the existing grommet in the firewall is and also help with the wiring . Thanks
No problem! I'll start working on a post and put it up tomorrow!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #40
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
No problem! I'll start working on a post and put it up tomorrow!
Sweet! thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #41
stevethegimp

Ok so here is my short and simple install guide.

So you'll obviously need to disconnect the negative terminal on your battery before doing anything, don't want to get any nasty surprises!

Next- You should definitely memorize/refer back to this picture during installation.

The ECU we will be hijacking is located on the passenger side firewall under the hood, there will be a long and short connector. Go ahead and disconnect both as you will be doing the informational wiring on the long connector and the 12v source on the short.

I initially did some research on the Yaris repair book to get the correct existing ecu wire colors but once I actually started doing the splices I threw it out. The color codes are pretty ambiguous and as long as you double/triple check which wire goes to which port you should be fine, i.e. count from left to right, big or small.

On the above diagram all but the "cam" and "a/f" wires will be using the wire taps provided, these are a piece of cake and require no cutting. The "cam" and "a/f" wires do require you to cut them in order to intercept the signal and allow the camcon to do it's magic, you will use a male/female splice connector on these. The included instructions are pretty clear which color from the camcon harness goes to which wire. The following URL has the wiring schedule ---> http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/pr...on-english.pdf (Page 10 of the PDF)

When all is said and done make sure to reconnect the ecu harness into the ecu and reconnect the negative cable to the terminal. Then proceed to follow the camcon instructions on proper starting procedures to make sure everything is up and running.

I routed the actual camcon harness wire through a bung located in the passenger footwell, under the carpet. You can just pull the plug out and run the harness along the firewall, taking care to keep it away from the exhaust manifold (mine is roughly 5-6 inches from the manifold). I installed it right next to the cigarette/power adapter on the bottom of the center console to make sure it was out of sight at night and still be accessible.

The following is the chart I followed in programming the cam angle/ a/f values and will be fine tuning.

Honestly it was not too terrible to install and this was my first time splicing a wire in my life. I would certainly recommend researching splicing techniques prior to installing.

Good luck to any fellow YW members who decide on attempting this!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #42
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Do you run a wide-band O2 sensor, or how do you know you're running rich after 5000rpm?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #43
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Are you going to tune it or just use those numbers?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #44
stevethegimp

I have an aftermarket A/F gauge! I've been approaching close to 11.7 around the 5000 mark. Not sure if my 1zz injectors might be the culprit or if i'm just being overly paranoid and un-educated in what the Yaris likes.

A proper tune is certainly in order.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #45
jouna

Drives: jdm yaris sedan
i dont know if the ecu harnessfor the sedan is connected the same way as the camcon instructions but im having trouble finding the right wires in my ecu. the graph that the camcon guys give you is the right size and holes but when i look for the wires in the back thereare no wires conected to the actual hole they give you. if someone can tell me the colors i would apreciate it
Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #46
stevethegimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouna View Post
i dont know if the ecu harnessfor the sedan is connected the same way as the camcon instructions but im having trouble finding the right wires in my ecu. the graph that the camcon guys give you is the right size and holes but when i look for the wires in the back thereare no wires conected to the actual hole they give you. if someone can tell me the colors i would apreciate it
Well I had the same issue at first. What you need to do is look at the pin out guide in an orientation like you were about to plug the harness back in.....so plug face away from you. Once you do that you should see the corresponding wires.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #47
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I have an aftermarket A/F gauge!
He asked if it's a wideband. Where are you getting the data?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #48
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Sorry to sound like a noob, but bottom line is; this will add power, right? with a tune
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #49
jouna

Quote:
Well I had the same issue at first. What you need to do is look at the pin out guide in an orientation like you were about to plug the harness back in.....so plug face away from you. Once you do that you should see the corresponding wires.
haha yeah... i imagined that after i posted... but no biggie i managed to plug it in that same day.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #50
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Anyone who has installed the CamCon recently.. thoughts?
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #51
jouna

i installed it and currently running the diagram in their website. i do feel a difference but looking foward to dyno it and tune it next week. my setup is a custom intake manifold 1zz inj. polished 1zz throttel i have a ram air in my front bumper with a carbon fiber velocity stack and an air box filter so all the cold air gets in and no dirty air or water ;-) header 2.25 custom exhaust with a 2.00 muffler and of course the camcon. ill post results next week hoping to get a good a/f setting with the intake manifold and of course good numbers
Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #52
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ I want to see the intake mani
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #53
monchyxb

Drives: scion xb
I hope this helps! I had the camcon, AEM CAI, Ebay header, stock exhaust without the catalytic and resonator, and DC sports axle back. I had 18" rims so maybe there were a little more gains with smaller rims and a bigger exhaust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0170.jpg (138.5 KB, 207 views)
monchyxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #54
Bar_Red_Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan
I got a CEL now after installing mine. "Cam sensor bank A" or something like that. Any thoughts???
I'm almost positive the CEL came right up after install. Faulty unit or is this a common occurence?
Bar_Red_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote