Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Nitrous.

I've googled and searched about it and god damn do I ever suck with searching for crap.

Goods and Bads of it? Anyone on the forum have it on a Yaris? Was thinking about bottling up as I heard LordCo where I live sells kits etc. How does the whole thing work.

Basically a general thread about nos.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
two kinds dry and wet. 50 shot is probably max for a stock Yaris motor.

Basic purpose is to cool the intake charge = denser air = more fuel = more power.

Upside: Power on demand.

Downsides: Temporary power. Medium difficulty install. Bottle has to live somewhere in your car, taking up space. Have to refill the bottle after a few uses.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
two kinds dry and wet. 50 shot is probably max for a stock Yaris motor.

Basic purpose is to cool the intake charge = denser air = more fuel = more power.

Upside: Power on demand.

Downsides: Temporary power. Medium difficulty install. Bottle has to live somewhere in your car, taking up space. Have to refill the bottle after a few uses.
Difference between wet and dry? And a 50 shot is 50 horsepower or? Also no big deal about temporary power to me tbh, though I've heard it is really dangerous on the road?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

So I went to LordCo today.

1100$ CAD (Abit less) gets me a 4cylinder NOS Kit 50-75 hp on demand.

Positives of this and is there anything that can go very very wrong?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

$399.95 at Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NEX-20421-10/

50-shot means 50 hp.

Wet, squirts directly into the intake charge, or the cylinders themselves. Dry is sprayed onto an intercooler. At least I think that's the way it works.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
zbouncer

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5MT
When used correctly it is a lot of fun, put a 125 shot on my bros LS1 and it did a 1.60 & 11.52 with nothing more than an intake and catback on street tires...now running a 150 shot with a big ass cam, headers, a host of suspension goodies and a good tune. Will not see the track til a 9in or 12bolt is in that beast, but should hit 10.5s on sticky
Here is some great info on Nitrous, we have used both NX and NOS brand and must say that NX has much better solenoids and true jetting, plus a much more helpful staff over the phone if you have questions http://www.nitrousexpress.com/faq.php
zbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
$399.95 at Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NEX-20421-10/

50-shot means 50 hp.

Wet, squirts directly into the intake charge, or the cylinders themselves. Dry is sprayed onto an intercooler. At least I think that's the way it works.
Wow that kit looks freaking great, will definately consider buying it after abit more research. I'm thinkin the 35 shot to be safe, I was told by a friend irl that not forging things in the engine will cause me to melt rings or pistons with wet spray, and dry spray will lean out too far and completely screw my shit up.

is this true? Or can I honestly run this off stock components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbouncer View Post
When used correctly it is a lot of fun, put a 125 shot on my bros LS1 and it did a 1.60 & 11.52 with nothing more than an intake and catback on street tires...now running a 150 shot with a big ass cam, headers, a host of suspension goodies and a good tune. Will not see the track til a 9in or 12bolt is in that beast, but should hit 10.5s on sticky
Here is some great info on Nitrous, we have used both NX and NOS brand and must say that NX has much better solenoids and true jetting, plus a much more helpful staff over the phone if you have questions http://www.nitrousexpress.com/faq.php
Same response as above, the FAQ doesn't say anything about requiring other things than their own kit to avoid screwing everything up and if I'm going to void warranty I want to be real safe about it.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Look, if you can run a turbo kit that adds 80 whp and not hurt your car, you can add a 50-shot that will get used a LOT less and not hurt your car. Makes logical sense to me.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Look, if you can run a turbo kit that adds 80 whp and not hurt your car, you can add a 50-shot that will get used a LOT less and not hurt your car. Makes logical sense to me.
But turbos are progressive speed with lag and has a piping set up, while nos is instant power on demand is it not? Which leads to overstress or redlining?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ No.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Alright I'll go for it, thanks garm. Will be posting pics when I get it done labour will prob rape me though this wil lbe a 2 month project.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Yeah, it's pretty involved to put all that in and run all the lines, etc.

You should also buy the controller if it doesn't come with the kit -- set it to come on (after enabling it) at a certain rpm, very handy.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Well I was thinking of that kit you posted here, then having a heavy duty shop here install it. According to the description it comes with a switch, not sure if it has gauges and what not or if I even need them. In two months I should have about 3 ish K's maybe abit less saved so it should cover everything.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
$3k will cover a nice turbo solution with management. (I would think)

Then you'd have that "50 shot" %100 of the time. :)
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ true.

The nitrous kit will come with a switch, which means you have to flip that switch to turn it on. It's way more fun to enable it and have it come on at a preset rpm.

A gauge on the bottle is another nice accessory so you know when to refill it.

Neither are needed for the kit to work, but they do increase the fun factor.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Where I live these things are hard to come across, yet have someone do it. I have no idea if we even have dynos here.

Also, so basically I should buy the kit - a gauge for the bottle.

Is there anyway to have it enable at lets say 2500 RPM, but only if the switch is on? Or is it better to just flip it on at 2500 myself.

edit:

I also said 3k as an over guesstimate, I asked for a week off starting yesterday so my pay will suck in two months taking out bills etc I might have around 2k MAYBE abit over. So lets calculate.

The kit garm linked me too, 399.99$

399.99$ - Kit
Gauge - 100$? If not less but lets put that to be safe
+Installation labour I'm guessing no longer than 4 hours? So I'm looking at about 1500$ but I like being safe so I said I'll save 2k incase anything else comes up but either way that extra money can serve me a purpose.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
xixarchangelxix
The Unicorn

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5D HB
I'm not sure about B.C. but if you're caught with an active nitrous system in Ontario, they'll impound your car. They also fine you $500-2000 and may also put you in jail for up to 6 months. I doubt it's much different in B.C.

You're better off doing a turbo kit. It will be cheaper in the long run. Have you even sourced a supplier for N^2O?
xixarchangelxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixarchangelxix View Post
I'm not sure about B.C. but if you're caught with an active nitrous system in Ontario, they'll impound your car. They also fine you $500-2000 and may also put you in jail for up to 6 months. I doubt it's much different in B.C.

You're better off doing a turbo kit. It will be cheaper in the long run. Have you even sourced a supplier for N^2O?
Shops here can refill NOS bottles. But turbo kits and superchargers are like no where to be found here, and ordering online is a bitch. Garm makes it easy but hes in the states so I cant just buy it on the spot I need to wait for him to give me shipping prices and its just a mess of his time so I don't bother.

EDIT: After googling apparently nitrous isn't even mentioned in the BC vehicles legal acts.
I'm pretty sure aslong as you don't use it infront of police officers, and have everything connected you won't get in shit. What will they do if they catch you speeding 15 over the limit and say it is NOS? Are you jokin the bottle would give alot more than 15 on the spot lol.

Last edited by .Kevin.; 05-06-2011 at 06:05 PM.
.Kevin. is offline   Reply With Quote