Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #73
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
my sentiments exactly
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #74
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
strictly a biased opinion on the rebuild / swap. 3g's for a used engine?
Search for a 2zz engine on ebay

There are a few yards here that have used long blocks w/ tranny for 1200 or less.
What engine?

Buy the engine harness from toyota for a few hundred, the ecu off eba or another yard for 50 bucks. That gets me to about 3500 or so parts only. A far cry from 7400.
Again what engine? Not a 2zz

And since when are you going to lose 45hp right off the top?
The average loss of HP to the wheels on a dyno is 15-20%

That 5400 you claim implies you do all the work yourself?
Yes

And from everything Ive read about the two engines (1nz and 2zz) they 'should' almost bolt it place of one another.
If that is the case there should be at least 200 engine swaped Yaris's out there.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #75
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
^ the engine harness isn't a couple of hundred more like a g. and make sure you got a vin# from the donor car for the harness......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #76
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
theres plenty of corolla's and late model pontiacs available within 400km of my location and yes 2ZZ - ebay isnt the be-all-end-all of shopping but there HAS been plenty of ECU on there for a dime.

there isnt a pile of yaris swaps out there cause apparently its exhorbitantly expensive. guess thats why theres so many with FI.

I priced out an engine to replace my tired 3.1 in my malibu - the engines at the yard I called came complete, tranny and all including wiring to the ECU but not the ECU itself.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #77
Nabisco

Drives: '08 Honda Fit Sport
Send a message via ICQ to Nabisco Send a message via AIM to Nabisco
Hello all,

I am eager to soon own a Yaris hatchback. I think it is the perfect hatchback in many ways. Once I get one I want to attend some local SCCA events and hopefully get involved.

Back to the topic, I don't see the practicality of a 1zz or 2zz swap. It wouldn't be cost effective and it couldn't have been explained any better earlier that a 200hp+ Yaris wouldn't perform well on a track. A swap car should be like discovering an Easter egg in software, it was "meant to be there".

Toyota used to produce the Starlet into the late 90's which had a 4EFTE?
After production ended of the Starlet I presume the Vits aka Yaris Echo etc. came about. Isn't there a Vitz turbo? If still in production, What year(s)? I could call a reputable importer I know and see if he knows much about them.
Nabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #78
Nabisco

Drives: '08 Honda Fit Sport
Send a message via ICQ to Nabisco Send a message via AIM to Nabisco
4e-efte (starlet turbo) swap ?

Interesting :

http://www.stratisautosport.gr/en/pr....php?id=43#164
Nabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #79
Izi.D

Drives: '08 Toyota Yaris
I'm actually really debating this. Hopefully next month I'll be able to look at my expenses and chains and see what I can do for engine swaps. The 2ZZ-ge does look like good compatability... but idk, Trying to research what other engines you could possibly pop in.
Izi.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #80
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
it couldn't have been explained any better earlier that a 200hp+ Yaris wouldn't perform well on a track.
um, I'm really hoping you're kidding about this. If not, c'mon over and take my car out for a spin. That statement is pure BS. Just keepin' it real.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #81
Izi.D

Drives: '08 Toyota Yaris
Haha, Well, I've done alittle more diggin', The 4AGE can also fit in, the only problems would be the tight fitting of it all. it is a 1.6l engine, and you can get about 135hp+ out of it, so it's a decent boost before you do anything else to it such as i/e/b etc etc. Input?
Izi.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #82
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
4agze could work also depending on fit
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #83
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
its been put into an echo already, i dont see why it wont fit into the yaris... the 4age that is
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #84
Valli Djöfull

Drives: Yaris '99 - 1,0
This one has a tuned 2.0 engine from a '89 Celica.
190 hp

5 gear manual
Quaife LSD
Best time on track - 13.5@100mph

Not my car, used as a rallycross car in iceland :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-EQR7HzPt0

Valli Djöfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #85
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
i wanna take ur car for a spin =(

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #86
loneknight17
I've made a post!

Drives: scion xa
Originally Posted by cdydjded
OK I need to vent a little on this topic, here I go, lets just say you could get a GTS engine in our car, Engine $2900 (ebay). Tranny +/- $1000, then you need labor +/- $1500, mounts, wiring & miscellanious +/- $2000. Now you have invested +/- $7400 & you have a 180 flywheel hp Yaris which equals 145 to the wheels. Now this is all asuming you can get everything done for this amount of $$. Now how many people on this forum are going to spend half of the total cost of their car on a swap? Consider that Blitz & Greedy have a SC & ZPI has a turbo kit for less than half of what a swap cost & only 3 owners have gone in the forced induction route! Guys WE bought a INEXPENSIVE CAR! The possibility of any of us spending $7400 is slim to none. If you wanted more power you needed to start with a better platform. If you want a more powerfull Yaris a Turbo Kit for $3200, a S/C kit for $2500 or a N2O kit for $550 is the best way right now. I am not saying that a swap is never going to be done. But the $ per HP value is just not there. If you have $7400 to spend on your Yaris here is a plan for you: ZPI kit $3200, Pistons & rods $1200, install $1000, These $5400 will get you 200hp + to the wheels. Why swap?

This is a good point. I own a 2004 XA (a larger yaris basically), there is plenty of power to dig out of this little engine with less stress than a swap. S/C is definitly the way to go due to the VVT-I the turbo will hand grenade the engine. It is relatively easy to push 200hp out of the 1nz-fe and at only ~2200lbs thats plenty. I was at ~145hp with an intake, exhaust and computer chip. (Until the catastrophic meltdown of a spark plug , I guess trial and error). Some bolt ons and a S/C should do the trick.
loneknight17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #87
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Great link, HKS turbo kit, Swap etc.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
4e-efte (starlet turbo) swap ?

Interesting :

http://www.stratisautosport.gr/en/pr....php?id=43#164
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #88
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Hello Kelowna Neighbor lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
before diving headlong into the projects im working on over winter I looked into a 2zz swap for the yaris, might even buy the parts for it if I can sell one of the other projects. Trying to find a wrecked or tired 2000+ celica, vibe or matrix around here is impossible for less than 8-9k.
From the research I did do at the time it seemed the only daunting task of the swap was the wiring. Youd need a whole donor car or engine with complete harness to pull off the swap unless you want to spend weeks chasing wires.
Only other issue is lack of front tranny mount which could easily be solved with a cross brace. Like its been said, weight is negligeable, size also, engine mounts on either side are (should) be the same. Some minor clearance issues on the passenger side pulleys and building a complete exhaust from the header back.
Nice thing is the matrix came with an AWD and six speed for a couple years, celica had a six speed in the gts didnt it? cant remember now.
I do know I took all the measurements from the AWD matrix and other than having to mock up rear suspension mounts, cutting down the driveshaft (about 4 inches to long) and putting in a tunnel it would all fit.
Course the straight engine swap is the easier of the two evils. Either way if youve never done a swap or dont intend to do it yourself it may be super daunting and overly expensive to get a shop to do it.
I for one will never spend what youd need to on the stock 1nz just to get 150 reliable hp out of it.
Ive also bounced around the idea of getting a small displacement aluminum longitudinal v8 or v6 and four link with a rear live axle from a miata so dont laugh to hard at the small block chev idea....

A guy in town here built a mini with a small block in it for the 'knox mountain hill climb' was the craziest thing ive seen, think the tranny was bolted direct to the rearend...

Anyway, dont think youll see any extreme yaris anytime soon.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #89
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
wowo double zombie bonus for this thread

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote