Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #37
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Im not sure how strong the other internals are BUT once you go with low comp pistons you better start building the bottom end all together. I would say the thing to do is find you a wrecked Yaris and rape the motor out of it for cheap. Build that thing up in a spare room of your house over the winter. Then swap it in come spring.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #38
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #39
nester
I made a post!

Drives: 2006 Scion tC-t
Send a message via AIM to nester
The rods and pistons would allow you to run more boost, and make more power safely.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #40
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
I had some questions. For someone who has never installed a turbo but has more than enough experience on cars(ive removed power steering pumps, water pumps, alternators, starters, swapped stock exhaust manifolds with headers, tons of wiring experience)how hard is the install? How long does it take? full day? weekend? can all this be done without removing tons of parts from the car? im sure removing the wiper blades, trim, wiper motor and that big sheet metal piece would make the install tons easier.....

It looked like a 5 speed in the dyno video, what are your thoughts on the auto? any things to worry about?
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #41
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post

It looked like a 5 speed in the dyno video, what are your thoughts on the auto? any things to worry about?
yeah, it blowing to pieces. Can you imagine a econocar auto running 200hp when it was built economicall for 100? Not pretty. Besides, unless you're running 1000hp Supras or muscle cars, turboing a auto is lame....well, about as lame as auto cars in the first place.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #42
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
is this turbo thing will fuck your car up really fast? i mean i got no idea how turbo works and last in your car?
Speak english!
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #43
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
DID SOMEONE SAY THAT THIS TURBO KIT WILL BOOST YOUR FUEL ECONOMY?

IF SO.... IM ON MY WAY TO THE BANK!!!

Will this be cheaper on group buy? and you guys at ZPI should sell an -
"install kit only" without a Turbo with it...
just suggesting so that more people would buy it because they can get a used turbo from their EVO buddies for a price of a Nintendo Wii!!!
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 AM   #44
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
If you're going to do pistons, you might as well ceramic coat them along with coating and replacing the valves and valve springs. Anyone done a head and cams for this little engine...is there a windage tray kit for this engine? Heck, go hardcore and do a 5 angle jobbie on the head.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:42 AM   #45
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
yeah, it blowing to pieces. Can you imagine a econocar auto running 200hp when it was built economicall for 100? Not pretty. Besides, unless you're running 1000hp Supras or muscle cars, turboing a auto is lame....well, about as lame as auto cars in the first place.

lol dude come drive a 5 speed in la and see how long til you get tired of it.

and my question was how strong is the auto tranny, less or more than the 5 speed? they were both built for a 100hp engine so whats your point in that?

id appreciate someone actually answering some of my questions. thanks guys
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 AM   #46
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
Sorry I haven't been getting back to you guys.. I have been really busy and am kinda on vacation but I will try to be on to post some messages here and there.... Alright here goes the final dyno results we made 182 whp and 184 ft lbs of torque. As was already iterated the tune is safe we ran between a 11.2 and 11.6 for AFR which is safe and would keep you from blowing up your engine. The wastegate is controlled by the internal spring and is not adjustable by the owner unless you were to install a boost controller.
Yes you will get better fuel economy because Kenny was able to lean out the stock map in a safe way. I received about a 3-5 mpg increase in my drive down to Florida so it definatly gets better mileage.
As far as the stock auto tranny is concerned I am almost certain Zpi has done their turbo kit on the xb in an auto before but that would be easily solved by a quick call to them on monday but i am willing to bet that I remember hearing that. If not they deal with a guy that can make you upgraded valve bodies should you decide to increase your power levels beyond that.

As far as selling just the kit minus the turbo, it would be silly the turbo isnt that expensive to begin with, so then buying an old one off of a mitsubishi is a risky move as its seals could easily be bad, plus why be cheap about it. If you are going to buy a turbo kit for a brand new car wouldnt you want everything to be brand new just seems logical to me.
You can possibly run more boost on the stock engine they have had their XBs running 12 psi without a problem, on slicks at the track they did however snap an axle with that setup. So yes it is possible they just don't want to sell a kit for 12 psi because they aren't sure how long the engine can last at those levels. The more you boost the more a stock engine gets fatigued so that boost level was chosen to keep it safe and reliable.
Their is plenty you could do if you wanted to do a full engine build, it is more possible then you think as most of the parts are available to do a full build they just require some research and maybe a couple one off parts.
Thats about all i can come up with for now. If there are more questions fire away or pm me or whatever.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #47
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

What what just said is VERY important.

When you guys buy this kit, keep it at it's predetermined level. As I'm reading, there are several options to raise boost level. The thing I'm reading that scares me is the Xb's axles *BREAKING* with slicks at 12 lbs.

This means that the vehicles they're going on ARE NOT DESIGNED for the increase in tourque and horsepower. I've heard of axles breaking on my old SRT at 450+ horsepower. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just saying BE CAREFUL with your investment.

It might not be a bad investment to send your tranny out to a place like Perfomance Autowerks to rework your internals. Is there a compny that offers beefier axles for the Yaris?

Remember, your vehicle is going to be ONLY as good as it's weakest point. As ZPI has said, you need to pay to play.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #48
nester
I made a post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
I had some questions. For someone who has never installed a turbo but has more than enough experience on cars(ive removed power steering pumps, water pumps, alternators, starters, swapped stock exhaust manifolds with headers, tons of wiring experience)how hard is the install? How long does it take? full day? weekend? can all this be done without removing tons of parts from the car? im sure removing the wiper blades, trim, wiper motor and that big sheet metal piece would make the install tons easier.....

The install is not really that hard. The kit will include all the piping, bolts, nuts, clamps, etc. I would imagine the install would be an all day affair in the garage, but you might split it up over a weekend.

We put the turbo on from the bottom/side of the car, by removing the passeneger side wheel and sliding the axle out.. Which sounds worse than it might be.

Wiring is ~12 wires, only one of which has to be cut. The rest are splices.

If the automatic stayed the same between the xB and the Yaris, I wouldn't expect any problems. We've installed about 5 xB kits on autos and they run great. You can install a tranny cooler for added safety, and we'll be releasing a valve body upgrade in the next couple weeks. An upgraded torque converter is also a real reality, if we get enough interest.

To the person who suggested a no-turbo kit, the evo has a different flange than a typical mitsu. The cost difference between a kit with no turbo and a regular kit would be about $400.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #49
nester
I made a post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
What what just said is VERY important.

When you guys buy this kit, keep it at it's predetermined level. As I'm reading, there are several options to raise boost level. The thing I'm reading that scares me is the Xb's axles *BREAKING* with slicks at 12 lbs.

This means that the vehicles they're going on ARE NOT DESIGNED for the increase in tourque and horsepower. I've heard of axles breaking on my old SRT at 450+ horsepower. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just saying BE CAREFUL with your investment.

It might not be a bad investment to send your tranny out to a place like Perfomance Autowerks to rework your internals. Is there a compny that offers beefier axles for the Yaris?

Remember, your vehicle is going to be ONLY as good as it's weakest point. As ZPI has said, you need to pay to play.

You can't compare a yaris to a SRT4, really.. Well, I guess you can.. SRT-4 comes out of the box with about 200-220hp.. You double that to 440, and you break axles..

xB comes out of the box with about 90hp, you increase that to 200hp, you break an axle when you accidently dump the clutch on slicks.

There are axles for the xB/xA. I don't know if they are bolt in for the Yaris.. Rated for 500hp, so I've heard.. :)
Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #50
nester
I made a post!

I also think more importantly than talking about the dyno numbers is how the car drives..

The car is a quick little booger... and with the stock hubcaps and the intercooler tucked away, it's a sleeper for sho.

One, if they were so inclined, could put a 5psi spring in there, with a AEM tru-boost, drive around on 5psi all the time, and then turn it up to 8psi when they're feeling froggy.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #51
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Double that HP over what the car was designed to do...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #52
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester View Post
One, if they were so inclined, could put a 5psi spring in there, with a AEM tru-boost, drive around on 5psi all the time, and then turn it up to 8psi when they're feeling froggy.
Could this be an add on option? I think 5psi would be more than enough for everyday driving in this car. How well will the stock map work outside stock boost levels?
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #53
nester
I made a post!

Yes, I would recommend the addition of the Greddy Pressure Sensor. With that, we can tune based off boost and not off throttle position sensor. That way you don't have to retune when you turn up the boost..
Old 03-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #54
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
Thumbs up

Is it possible to lower or control the turbo power with a switch if driving on the "streets" so I wont be able to spin my wheels to much?

Because if the yaris get a 5.7-6KG per HP its going to spin the tires quite often coz it doesnt have TCS... and it will attract cop attention for thinkin Im a street racer "which Im not"LOL!

and will the Blitz RViT monitor/tuner interfere with the E-Manage it comes with?

also did you guys try a smog test on it yet?

I might get this kit on June...

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote