Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Clutch Start is TOO DEEP

I have a yaris annoyance..The Clutch start is TOO DEEP. Is there any way to adjust the switch to halfway instead of pressing to the floor level?

Otherwise, can we disable the clutch start?
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by du2efs View Post
I have a yaris annoyance..The Clutch start is TOO DEEP. Is there any way to adjust the switch to halfway instead of pressing to the floor level?

Otherwise, can we disable the clutch start?
Its right at the bottom. Probably a simple switch. You can get an auto electrician to remove the switch and wire the circuit shut so you haven't got the clutch start feature anymore.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I was thinking of doing that too, but I'm so used to it now, it's not a bother...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
My Tacoma had a clutch cancel button so pushing the clutch in to start was optional.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Its good for you. Give the clutch a full engaging every shift and it'll last longer. You'll get used to it.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Its good for you. Give the clutch a full engaging every shift and it'll last longer. You'll get used to it.

thats not what he is referring to, its there so you don't start the car in a gear, without the clutch pushed in, kinda like automatics have a neutral safety switch.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

OH. Sorry.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
heh-heh... dumbass.. heh-heh

Man I remember when I first tried to start the car at the dealership... never drove a car before with this system... So it won't start! And I run back in the dealership and tell them there seems to be a problem with the car... Oops!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Wait, so let me get this straight... you hopped in a manual car and wondered why it didn't start when you didn't have the clutch depressed all the way?

And you guys are all wanting to start the car without having to press the clutch?

What a bunch of ninnies!
Old 03-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

hey the way I learned to start a car, was to make sure it's in neutral by moving the stick left to right before turning the ignition, never had this fancy-pants safety feature in all those old cheapass cars we had

Real men don't need stupid safety reminders! We want to fight for the right to crank our cars into a wall!

actually, while on topic a friend of mine ripped the driver's door out of his dad's car when cranking the engine while the gear was in reverse.. Mega-oops!

As I said, I'm used to it now

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Real men don't need stupid safety reminders! We want to fight for the right to crank our cars into a wall!
That made me laugh, a real good from the belly chuckle. I remember having a car that I had to practically stand on the clutch to get it to engage. I say if you want to have it disabled, do it. I just wouldn't expect much sympathy if you were exercising your right to crank your car into someone else's.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
Poorboy

Drives: 07 liftback
Back to the tacoma and mine had the same switch, you were supposed to use that switch to use the starter to "drive" the vehical out to a stuck spot. I never did this because I can use a clutch gently to get out of the mud. But hell I had the locking rear end so there was no way to get it stuck. But you could easily pull the switch off your clutch and wire it so it thinks it is engaged. This won't affect anything other than make sure you have the clutch in when you start it or your gonna lurch!
Poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #13
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
US cars have had that for decades....literally. I would think having NOT to push the clutch in would weird me out.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #14
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
Funny that you would mention this now, just the other day I was thinking the same thing when I practically had to slam my foot to the floor to get it started, Tommorow I am looking into what can be done to adjust it. On my Toyota pickup the switch was threaded and could be adjusted in and out, Hope this is the case.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #15
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
problem with my yaris is you have to floor the clutch all the way t0 98%...At least it should have like 75% to 90% pressing is tolerable.

I've been thinking to fix a rubber bumper where the switch strike-in to. at least say 4mm just to reach 75% clutch start press
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #16
mcdaddy

Drives: Yaris 2006, 2NZFE 1.3L
IMO.. I'm not bothered with the switch myself.. It's there for safety purposes.. think of the danger when kids playing the wheels, car keys... GMC & most american cars has these feature & I love it myself..
Old 03-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yeah, most of the cars I have owned had this safety feature. I got used to it and now I dont even think about it.

A ghetto way to get rid of it is to jimmy rig the clutch position sensor to stay open all the time by bypassing the sensor and running the circut hot all the time so it thinks the clutch is down all the way all the time.

However, I would not reccomend this because of safety reasons and because I dont know that the wire was intended to stay hot 24/7, so if anyone asks, I never mentioned the idea.