Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
JustYYaris

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue Hatch M/T
XLR8 Intake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...101753794&rd=1

Seems like a pretty decent intake for 100 bones plus shipping. I inquired on the 20 hp claim and the seller responded:

"A 20 hp gain at the engine is more like 12 hp at the wheels and that's what dyno tests indicate is horsepower gained at the wheels. Our intake system is the best VALUE in our opinion. You get the most horsepower per dollar spent and a pretty solid warranty."

Is it possible to gain 12 hp with just an intake? I thought 5 to the wheels would be a great gain, but 12? This guy has a myspace account and it seems legit, I'm just a little skeptical of the numbers. What do you guys think?
JustYYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
No, it won't give you 12 at the wheels. Mabye 5-6 to the wheels and 10 at the flywheel. You simply don't get 15% + gains in power from adding an intake alone. 10% is about the most I have ever seen and that is on forced induction applications.

Seems like an ok price for a short ram compared to the competition.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
hey you got a better deal than my man, i got the exactly intake for around $146 fuck, i should've wait a little longer, but anyway, that a nice intake man, it's short, easy to install, don't need to remove your wheels or bumber.. just remove your stock intake and put that thing on. Don't make any noises, but it's feel great.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
JustYYaris

Going through what I read, you have one Jamal? Where did you buy it for 146? Any pics?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
jamal1984

Ebay, i got it from ebay couple months ago, here is the link with the pic.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4233
Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Id suggest waiting for chino's intake to be finished..
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
JustYYaris

Yeah that's the thing, all this talk about Chino's intake had me lookin for what is out there that isn't 250+. If the XLR8 doesn't have any growl... that's no good! I am interested to see what Chino ends up with
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYYaris View Post
Yeah that's the thing, all this talk about Chino's intake had me lookin for what is out there that isn't 250+. If the XLR8 doesn't have any growl... that's no good! I am interested to see what Chino ends up with

Why would you want an intake to be loud? So when you step on the gas your car make's lots of noise but is still slow? Quiet, but quicker than stock is preferable IMO.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Why would you want an intake to be loud? So when you step on the gas your car make's lots of noise but is still slow? Quiet, but quicker than stock is preferable IMO.
Exactly, yaris is way too loud already and make too much noises already. XLR8 Intake is not an excellent intake, but it's not loud and sure you can feel your car lighter when accelerate.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
I agree.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
JustYYaris

Maybe I misrepresented what I meant... I'm not looking for a vacume vortex sound that makes lesser yari bow to it's supreme aspiration. I would however like a little bit of extra noise at the higher RPM's that sounds a little mean. It's interesting that I never used the word loud in my post Peters, so why the laughing faces?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
You guys want a reason to shy away from this one?

The main picture for the auction is actually just a picture of elsteverino's TRD intake with some lettering photoshopped over it. Don't believe me?

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1682

If they don't picture the product, that leads me to believe that they haven't made one yet. They are waiting for someone to order one before they go through the "bother."

Also, if you read the page, they say some hilarious shit.

Quote:
Don't waste your money on a cheap no name intake and end up with a check engine light on, less horsepower and torque, no warranty, and even a smog violation ticket!
Umm, this is the cheapest no name intake on the market.

Quote:
We will not sell an air intake system that does not provide a substantial increase in horsepower, torque, and gas mileage.
That implies you've tested an intake you apparently can't picture.

Quote:
Our air intakes are proven to increase horsepower and torque on a rear-wheel dynamometer.
A rear-wheel dynamometer... the Yaris certainly wouldn't have much power on that.

If you buy this, you're crazy... regardless of whether or not you're waiting for mine. If mine comes out and you decide it isn't for you, you'd still be crazy to buy this. STAY AWAY!

Watch, XLR8 will be a vendor next week.

EDIT: They have made one. Jamal has it. Interesting. Either way, stay away.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 03-19-2007 at 07:11 PM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
Poorboy

Drives: 07 liftback
holy crap that is steverino's pic. How do you notice that? Right down to the aluminum welds. There is no way that is a coinicidence!
Poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Nobody else saw the freeking bypass valve in the pic? I saw it and thought it looked a lot like our TRD intake, but I don't have a Panasonic battery... so I searched trd intake here and low and behold, its Steve's.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #16
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
hey chino when you will have finish you intake?
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #17
JustYYaris

Wow you're right. Good eye Chino. I'm still very interested with what you come up with Chino for a lost of reasons. 1) Obviously a guy that has a passion for the same car I own 2) Sounds like you have some really knowledgable guys 3) Looking to make a really good product, not one that is necessarily the shiniest with the most HP stickers or the one the most profitable to make. Your talk of a reasonably priced intake got me looking at intakes in the first place. Thanks for the forwarning about the XLR8. Now lets get that intake done!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYYaris View Post
Wow you're right. Good eye Chino. I'm still very interested with what you come up with Chino for a lost of reasons. 1) Obviously a guy that has a passion for the same car I own 2) Sounds like you have some really knowledgable guys 3) Looking to make a really good product, not one that is necessarily the shiniest with the most HP stickers or the one the most profitable to make. Your talk of a reasonably priced intake got me looking at intakes in the first place. Thanks for the forwarning about the XLR8. Now lets get that intake done!
I want to respond to this, but I don't want to thread-jack. I'll update the DIY INTAKE thread.