Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #19
Yarii

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Toyota's gone soft... I mean, what are the sports cars they are selling today? MR-S and Celica... MR-S uses a 1ZZ engine, same damn thing we get in corollas here! At least the Celica has a high rpm engine, but even so it can't really be considered all that sporty compared to the previous generations' rally-conquering monsters.

I guess it's all about profit margins now, pandering to the larger market, forgetting the performance enthusiasts...

At least they're working on a new Supra, and possibly an AE86 successor... there is still hope!
Unless you're in Canada (I think it's the same in the states)... We don't get anything sporty over here. We get "sport packages" on Toyota's regular cars... They include things like *fast looking, ugly-ass trim* and *a slightly more powerful engine*
Yarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #20
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, ussually when it comes to cars, you make a choice...gas milage and good reliability, or big hp numbers. you can sometimes have both, but that is ussually difficult to develop and generally expensive to purchase and repair.

now, on to why it hasnt been done yet....someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 1.8 require modification to the yaris just to fit in? The 2.4 is even bigger...also, bigger is not always better...while the 1.8s used in the celica weren't the best as far as being able to handle big boost without major internal mods(just what I have read, haven't worked on one yet), they have the potential to be beasts when built right....and whats more they actually fit.

I have also read they are lighter, which, in small cars, is a pretty major concern. Installing too big of a engine will not only trash your handling and braking, it will add more weight and slow the car down...a big engine isnt always the best way to go faster...

Personally, if people can determine if our little 1.5l engines we get here in the US handle 5-7 PSI without sending a rod through the block,ect, I plan on installing a roots type supercharger on my Yaris someday. It won't be fast by any means, but it will make twisty roads more entertaining, and it will also enable me to climb hills without shifting all the way down to 3rd.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #21
LoudYar

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
5.8 Liter, with a shopping cart welded on the engine bay, plus some astroglide just for a slick fit ;)

Is anybody's money tree that big?.

Maybe we can save a few leaves by stealing a 5.8 outta there new tundra's ;)
LoudYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #22
LoudYar

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
On a more serious note, im very interested in the idea of swapping the engine outta the yaris.

190HP could possibly make the Yaris a very fun car to drive.
LoudYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #23
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
I have helped friends out with engine swaps before, and on some of them, the amount of machining,fabricating,and wiring, as well as time and money, could have often times have been spent on beefing up the engine that was in it.

In alot of cases the engine in the car could be made to have more horsepower for the same amount of money than the engine you were trying to install....and that was if you did all the work yourself.

I dunno, if for a few grand you can get say, 150-170 reliable HP out of the 1.5 currently in the yaris, I would say do it, it will most likely get more fuel efficency and be more entertaining and cheaper than a swap...even though a stock 1.8 has what, 20 more hp? The added weight would make that hp differance null.

I think that a supercharger and some bolt on mods could get the little 1.5 up to 150hp+ with only say, 7psi of boost. If you could do that, I would say that would be better than the thousands of dollars and hours of time to swap in a engine.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #24
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
put a 7.1 hemi SRT-8 engines thats in the chargers and the 300c's that will be AWSOME!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #25
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
The ultimate engine swap?

How does a Hartley H1 2.8L V8 with 375HP @ 10KRPM, and 210 lb-ft @ 6500 RPM sound? 100lbs lighter than the GM ecotec 2.0 too..

It fits into an Ariel Atom, so it'd probably fit into a Yaris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a025[1].jpg (67.7 KB, 47 views)
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #26
pc1x1

Drives: Yaris 2007 Liftback (Jan 07)
I don't think the yaris can take more than 150 hp. Without major internal mods, and with that said, to do those mods, would prob be around 10k if not more, to completely swap, or build the engine. So now the car costs $23,000, plus rollbar etc, etc, point is, Yaris wasn't meant to be fast, its not going to be fast, and if you make it fast, well thats contradictory, as you could bought a Lancer Evo 9, or WRX Sti, and go fast, without voiding warranty, etc. Yaris is a great ecobox, with great mpg, those are the selling points. cheap and economical, and eco friendly, changing its character makes no sense, slightly making it better does. I will add an exhaust, and CAI personally. But breaking the budget, and MPG does not. Save up for a GTR if you must ;).
pc1x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #27
Razr
YRS WHOR

TRD Thailand charge 150K Baht to swap in a 2ZZ-GE plus gearbox. Add that to the base price of a Yaris E Manual (599K) and throw in another 50K for some suspension and tires, and you're talking 800K Baht (~USD$22,900).

A 5-speed Impreza STi sells for 3.95 Million Baht here -- which would buy you 5x 2ZZ-GE modded Yarii, or leave you with 3.15M Baht change (USD$90,000!) to pump the fuck out of the 2ZZ-GE :)

Different economies!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:47 AM   #28
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
TRD Thailand charge 150K Baht to swap in a 2ZZ-GE plus gearbox. Add that to the base price of a Yaris E Manual (599K) and throw in another 50K for some suspension and tires, and you're talking 800K Baht (~USD$22,900).

A 5-speed Impreza STi sells for 3.95 Million Baht here -- which would buy you 5x 2ZZ-GE modded Yarii, or leave you with 3.15M Baht change (USD$90,000!) to pump the fuck out of the 2ZZ-GE :)

Different economies!
Ya hit the nail right on the head there

Although the cheap performance car of choice on these shores is the old A31 Nissan Cefiro, usually swapped with all sorts of engines.. 2JZ's, RB's, SR's... But then there are so many on the road, and they are 10 year old cars. Gotta be different!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #29
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
why don't we do this engine swap

"The jet boosts his engine by a cool 1,350 horsepower and is actually street legal in California because it still runs on the VW's factory engine. He claims he isn't sure what the top speed is because once it hits 160 mph the car starts to lift off the ground, which sounds like a pretty wussy excuse to us"
Old 03-29-2007, 06:32 AM   #30
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Although the cheap performance car of choice on these shores is the old A31 Nissan Cefiro, usually swapped with all sorts of engines.. 2JZ's, RB's, SR's... But then there are so many on the road, and they are 10 year old cars. Gotta be different!

1) it's a Nissan, 2) it's butt-ugly, 3) it's 10+ years old. No thanks

I actually came this || close to buying a new Honda Cervix with the intention of wedging a K20A + supercharger in it (300+HP). Then I looked at it again. Then I looked at it again. No matter how much I looked at it and wanted it to change, it still kept on looking like my grandma's car.. So here I am with a Yaris and (coming soon) the Mini-monster truck Hilux from hell instead
Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #31
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:

I actually came this || close to buying a new Honda Cervix
They realy do sell body parts in Thailand, don't they.... Honda is just hacking up Thai woman and selling off their Cervix's.... what is the world coming to?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #32
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Oh god yeah the new Civic (Cervix! haha!), looks pretty cool from the front, not half bad from the sides, but look at that back end, ew!

The hatchback version is pretty sexy though, like the Si in the states and the Type R, but any chance we'll get that over here? Highly unlikely...

3.0L Accord with turbo/supercharger could be a very interesting base, though...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 AM   #33
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
3.0L Accord with turbo/supercharger could be a very interesting base, though...
Yes it would be, but the base there is 1.6M - think of what you could do to a Yaris with 1M Baht

If they sold the Cervix hatch here, you probably wouldn't see me posting here :) Likewise if they sold the Mazda3 MPS..
Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 AM   #34
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Yes it would be, but the base there is 1.6M - think of what you could do to a Yaris with 1M Baht

If they sold the Cervix hatch here, you probably wouldn't see me posting here :) Likewise if they sold the Mazda3 MPS..
Seriously is there a car called a Cervix there? That would just be funny?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #35
Razr
YRS WHOR

Nar man, It's just my pet name for them, seeing how girly they are and all :)
Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #36
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
LOL I should know, I'll be getting there very quick with the engine swap and other extras needed (roll cage, proper brakes, etc)

Bye bye 1NZ...