Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
pc1x1

Drives: Yaris 2007 Liftback (Jan 07)
Wink CAI Vs Insurance

I will consult various insurances, however does a CAI increase or screw up your insurance rate? Whats your experience on the matter? .
pc1x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Do not tell your insurance company about a cold air intake- your insurance company is obligated to cover up to $1000 in modifications (if you have full coverage). Only after that point do you tell your insurance company about them- if you want coverage on them- and be prepared for your rates to skyrocket.

Telling them about a CAI at this point would make them assume you want coverage on it- and you would pay.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
man i don't even know about this thing, never told my insurance about CAI b4.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
Some people don't even tell there insurance about a turbo and nos. Maybe if you had a super tuned ride and raced and if you lost your mods you would lose money but just don't tell them
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
pc1x1

What about the exhaust same thing? This is bad, :(, got to convince the parents now!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1x1 View Post
What about the exhaust same thing? This is bad, :(, got to convince the parents now!
Same thing- just have them look at the policy- it outlines all of those details.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
what they don't know won't hurt them, and if you are afraid of your insurance company somehow finding out, then do some "stealth" mods.

hack your airbox and put in a K&N, get custom 2" catback exhaust but instead of putting a stainless steel 5" ricerboy muffler on the end, throw a quite smooth-flowing Dynomax Superturbo muffler on the end with a 2" stainless tip. Install a grounding kit yourself, use black wiring and wire loom so no one knows what it is. Get a short throw shifter and lowering springs and wheels, that stuff wont mess up your insurance unless you ask for those to be covered on your policy.

There are things you can do to get performance out of your car without everyone knowing it has been modified.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
i ask to cover my modification but they said i put like more than 1000$ in the car they will break my contract hhu.. just the wheel is more than that so i just shut my mouth
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
CAI sees to add so little performance to a car, and is fairly cheap, why even mention it?
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
pc1x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
CAI sees to add so little performance to a car, and is fairly cheap, why even mention it?
I just don't want to get in trouble heh, I don't see a problem with the Cai and Exhaust, I mean I can cover to replace them if theres a problem. My biggest worry, is if I get into an accident or a problem, that they blame the CAI, or Exhaust, as the cause and don't cover me. I know its ridiculous but I also know those insurance guys are shady enough to do anything to screw me over. I don't like the fart cans either so thats not a problem, I heard the Tanabe exhaust isn't loud, so I am planning on ordering it.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
Spades
The Hated One

well, there are two methods...the sleeper method I mentioned above, small exhaust, hacked airbox, little things like that. Or there is method two...what the insurance company doesn't know wont hurt them method,lol.

Honestly, there isn't much that could go wrong with modifying your car because it is mostly engine based performance, in a accident the body will mostly be what takes the damage, and if something happens to the modifications you would just cover it out of pocket anyway.

The main issue is that the insurance company may use the modifications as a excuse to say that you were "hotrodding" the car and therefore were driving recklessly...they may try to pull that card if you put it in a ditch or around a telephone pole.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #12
pc1x1

Well, its a Yaris, I wouldn't race it, and if I did, it would be in an abandoned place, or by the country side, ranches etc, where there is no people, or cops or problems, I care about my safety, and what potentially can happen to others. I just like to represent Florida's youth in saying, not all of us lack common sense ;), and race like idiots, on fart cans. Though I want them to prove I hot rodded a car to +5 HP... Although they could consider the TRD stickers those I hear add +10HP
Old 03-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Do not tell your insurance company about a cold air intake- your insurance company is obligated to cover up to $1000 in modifications (if you have full coverage). Only after that point do you tell your insurance company about them- if you want coverage on them- and be prepared for your rates to skyrocket.

Telling them about a CAI at this point would make them assume you want coverage on it- and you would pay.
That $1000 thing may be your policy in your state, some policies only will cover OE installed equipment ONLY, I got screwed with this once... so check your policy if it even covers additional modification or not
Old 03-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1x1 View Post
I just don't want to get in trouble heh, I don't see a problem with the Cai and Exhaust, I mean I can cover to replace them if theres a problem. My biggest worry, is if I get into an accident or a problem, that they blame the CAI, or Exhaust, as the cause and don't cover me. I know its ridiculous but I also know those insurance guys are shady enough to do anything to screw me over. I don't like the fart cans either so thats not a problem, I heard the Tanabe exhaust isn't loud, so I am planning on ordering it.
ok, I would love for an ins company to prove in court that some guy running a red light and hitting you was caused by your intake and exaust... only problem you may have is engine damage if you buy a CAI that has a filter in the wheel well that does not have a by-pass... then you could be SOL... but if you are lookin into preformance, but not looking for something too loud, go to your local exaust shop and have the get rid of the ristrictive 1.5 inch exaust after the cat and replace with 2 or 2.25 and throw a high flow muffler on... cost just the same as most axle backs you get online and you get much better preformance, and not anymore loud
Old 03-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
Spades
The Hated One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
ok, I would love for an ins company to prove in court that some guy running a red light and hitting you was caused by your intake and exaust... only problem you may have is engine damage if you buy a CAI that has a filter in the wheel well that does not have a by-pass... then you could be SOL... but if you are lookin into preformance, but not looking for something too loud, go to your local exaust shop and have the get rid of the ristrictive 1.5 inch exaust after the cat and replace with 2 or 2.25 and throw a high flow muffler on... cost just the same as most axle backs you get online and you get much better preformance, and not anymore loud
I agree. I would still go the stealth route and just not report any mods to your insurance company. I doubt intakes would even be a issue if you got hit by someone running a red light. What I was suggesting, that if you wrapped it around a telephone pole the insurance company may try to suggest that the performance modifications showed your driving habits...that the reason you wrecked was because you were driving at unsafe speeds, ect. It is really a stretch though and I dont know of any insurance company that has pulled that card yet.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
What I don't get is why the heck you guys are worrying about telling your insurance company anything mod related? That sounds like the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
What I don't get is why the heck you guys are worrying about telling your insurance company anything mod related? That sounds like the most retarded thing I've ever heard.
If you get in an accident and your policy does not cover aftermarket equipment unless you add extra coverage, you can get screwed. It won't matter to most ppl