Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
brettcipra97

Drives: 2008 yaris hatchback
Lowering springs with stock shocks?

Okay, so im new, first post so bare with me. I am looking to lower my 08' hatch. I was wondering if i could do this with just the Tanabe df 220 springs. I do not want to have to buy shocks/struts. Has anyone done this? and if so how is it? I dont want to bottom out on curbs or speed bumps or anything.
Any help is Much Appreciated
brettcipra97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
It is done often but expect the stock shocks and struts to wear quicker.
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcipra97 View Post
Okay, so im new, first post so bare with me. I am looking to lower my 08' hatch. I was wondering if i could do this with just the Tanabe df 220 springs. I do not want to have to buy shocks/struts. Has anyone done this? and if so how is it? I dont want to bottom out on curbs or speed bumps or anything.
Any help is Much Appreciated
how many km on ur car is one also if u gone go and pay to install lowering springs u may as well replace struts/shocks , u can save a bit by just doing front and the rear later .
Its always best to replace both ...and yes stock will wear out faster , there is lots after market that can be cheap and way better then over priced toyota parts.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
fourbangingfun

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I lowered my 07 at 130k miles on Tein S springs. 138k on it now with stock struts and shocks and they havnt blown yet. The ride is really nice and smooth. No bottoming out because I cut my bumpstops down.

Like others have said, if you're paying for the install, I'd do the struts at the same time, because you won't be paying for much extra labor the first time. If you do it separately expect 2x the payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fourbangingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbangingfun View Post
I lowered my 07 at 130k miles on Tein S springs. 138k on it now with stock struts and shocks and they havnt blown yet. The ride is really nice and smooth. No bottoming out because I cut my bumpstops down.

Like others have said, if you're paying for the install, I'd do the struts at the same time, because you won't be paying for much extra labor the first time. If you do it separately expect 2x the payment.

It should cost the same. I mean, they have to completely take the thing out anyways. Except the rear.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
fourbangingfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
It should cost the same. I mean, they have to completely take the thing out anyways. Except the rear.

Exactly. What I meant to say was that it will cost the same to do the springs as it would to do the shocks/struts. Might as well have them done together and save yourself a couple hundred dollars.

Or do it yourself and strip the sway bar end link nuts like I did lol. I had to buy new Moog links at $45 each.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You can run lowering springs with stock struts and shocks. Tanabe in particular are designed to be ok with stock suspension (fairly soft spring rates).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
brettcipra97

Drives: 2008 yaris hatchback
Im going to do them myself with one of the guides on here. thanks all, i appreciate it.
brettcipra97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
cdenton134

Drives: 2010 TOYOTA YARIS LIFTBACK
lowered my 2010 hatch on TRD lowering springs which are also designed to run with stock shocks and struts! love the ride and height!
cdenton134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
You can run lowering springs with stock struts and shocks. Tanabe in particular are designed to be ok with stock suspension (fairly soft spring rates).
This.

Adding to that, my Yaris had been lowered at about the same height as DF's (although stiffer) on stock struts. They lasted me 110k miles with no problems inflicted on the struts.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
fourbangingfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
This.

Adding to that, my Yaris had been lowered at about the same height as DF's (although stiffer) on stock struts. They lasted me 110k miles with no problems inflicted on the struts.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles were on your yaris when you lowered it? I'm curious how long mine might last since I dropped it at 135k miles.

Tags
lowering, springs, suspersion