Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Exclamation DIY - TROMBE STEBEL NAUTILUS 139dB

As far as i'm concerned, this is the best car air horn I could find. I find train horns and tuck horns just too much.

I don't do my own installs. I'm not good mechanically, nor electrically. I pay an auto elec to do it for me. He's done all my installs from my ECHO to Camry to Yaris. I can give you a brief run down of what he did.

1. Unplugged original horn through the front grill, (did it with a tiny telescopic mirror and a very small set of pliers, was awesome to watch).
2. Pulled the wire (possibly added more length to it by splicing it) through to the other side of the engine bay.
3. Fixed horn to engine bay. There was a spot already there for the bolt, there was no need to drill a new hole.

4. Connected the negative and positive power cable to the terminals on the air horn.
5. Upgraded horn fuse from 10amp to 15amp. The 10amp blew after I held the horn down for 5 seconds, I have not had a problem with the 15amp.
6. Never looked back since.

I know it's not the most detailed D.I.Y. but I hope it helps.

IMPORTANT INFO FOR EVERYONE.

Just to let you all know I had a problem with my horn recently, the compressor is still working but there is no sound coming out of the horn. I've had it for about 10 months but the original ebay seller I bought it from is no longer a seller on eBay so I don't know where to claim warranty.

I've ordered a new STEBEL NAUTILUS DUAL TONE AIR HORN KIT RED 12V ITALIAN MADE 139dB from a company called Online Auto Parts (OnlineAutoParts.com.au) Exactly the same one that I have. I seriously would not buy anything else.

They have them on sale for $44.95 Australian Dollars (roughly $31.84 US Dollars). But if you enter a promotion code "SAVE5" all in capital letters when your at the checkout you'll save 5% on everything you purchase.

The 5% discount code can be used until December 31st 2008 and as many times as you like (They may change their promotion at any time).

Yes he ships internationally with tracking numbers too. He sells on ebay as well and has an eBay store. If I was you I’d jump on this while the Australian Dollar is so low (70ish cents US).

Below is a direct link to the horn I've bought. You can get them in Red, Black and Chrome.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Onl...20MADE%20139dB

You can pay via credit cards, direct back deposit, paypal, money order......

He sells other things than horns too so check it out.

Video/Sound Test of Horn

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=5c75db10.pbr

I finally got around to shooting a video. I must say that i used my Nokia 6110 navigator (2MP) cell phone to record this video. I fully admit to having no skills as a movie maker, nor am i a sound engineer so what you get is the best i could do.

I had no tripod and just some basic shareware to edit the video. I rested my cell on a edge of a dumpster, turned it towards my car and started shooting. I notice that the sound of the horn in the video dies off towards the end of the video. I must stress that this does not happen in real life, it must be the nokia cutting the mic volume down.

First video i've ever made using a cell phone.

P.s. Mods sticky this please.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook

Last edited by *MAD DOG*; 10-26-2008 at 06:00 PM.
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote