Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #91
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Yes, the airflow is going down everyone. Hence, if you look up, that is where the outside air comes from, and that also has to be filtered, so thats why it must only be able to go down! Not joking, its how the car is.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #92
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yeah, it's really not open to dicussion as the air flow is without a doubt from top to bottom.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #93
Fazulka

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4dr Sedan Base
I know this is kinda bumping an old thread, but I want to point something out to you.

Not having a cabin air filter has caused problems with the car, and if you don't install one or get one installed you are asking for trouble.

My wife's yaris (an 07 4d sedan) started to occasionally make a strange noise. It sounded like someone was pouring water on a fan. The noise was intermittent, and at first we did nothing. Then the car started to smell bad. We bought an air freshener. Then, after it had been warm and raining for a while cold smelly water started dripping onto the feet of both the driver and passenger when you went around a corner. This is finally when we decided to get it looked at. Before I brought the car to the dealer i did a quick google search, and found there are others that had the same problem.

It turns out that there is no screen where the outside air gets sucked in under the cowl, so some debris comes in with the air. Once it is in the car there is no cabin air filter to catch it. The debris settles into a pan at the bottom of the system, under the console, that is meant to collect condensation that forms when you have the a/c on. The pan empties through a small hole into a tiny rubber tube that attached to a nipple on the floor of the body in front of the passenger foot area. It is supposed to drain outside the car.

I unplugged the rubber tube at the body end and it was damp. I got a container in case my plan worked, then blew air into the tube. There was a small popping noise when the clog moved out, then OVER A QUART OF SMELLY DIRTY WATER drained from the a/c system. There were several pieces of leaves in the water.

The moral - get a cabin air filter. The car stunk. Cold smelly water on your feet sucks. paying a dealership to dismantle the console if blowing into the tube doesn't work sucks. Just get a filter. One filter will keep debris large enough to cause a problem out of the system for years.
Fazulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #94
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
you can get filters just about anywhere now...... they are like $10 at Autozone

and most cars, no matter who makes it, do not have a cabin air filter installed.
They are not a necessity, they are just nice to have
Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #95
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazulka View Post
I know this is kinda bumping an old thread, but I want to point something out to you.

Not having a cabin air filter has caused problems with the car, and if you don't install one or get one installed you are asking for trouble.

My wife's yaris (an 07 4d sedan) started to occasionally make a strange noise. It sounded like someone was pouring water on a fan. The noise was intermittent, and at first we did nothing. Then the car started to smell bad. We bought an air freshener. Then, after it had been warm and raining for a while cold smelly water started dripping onto the feet of both the driver and passenger when you went around a corner. This is finally when we decided to get it looked at. Before I brought the car to the dealer i did a quick google search, and found there are others that had the same problem.

It turns out that there is no screen where the outside air gets sucked in under the cowl, so some debris comes in with the air. Once it is in the car there is no cabin air filter to catch it. The debris settles into a pan at the bottom of the system, under the console, that is meant to collect condensation that forms when you have the a/c on. The pan empties through a small hole into a tiny rubber tube that attached to a nipple on the floor of the body in front of the passenger foot area. It is supposed to drain outside the car.

I unplugged the rubber tube at the body end and it was damp. I got a container in case my plan worked, then blew air into the tube. There was a small popping noise when the clog moved out, then OVER A QUART OF SMELLY DIRTY WATER drained from the a/c system. There were several pieces of leaves in the water.

The moral - get a cabin air filter. The car stunk. Cold smelly water on your feet sucks. paying a dealership to dismantle the console if blowing into the tube doesn't work sucks. Just get a filter. One filter will keep debris large enough to cause a problem out of the system for years.
Actually most of your problem is covered under the TSB and has nothing to do with the cabin air filter or lack of. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=tsb
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #96
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^ I agree. I live where muddy, puddle ridden dirt roads are a must to get anywhere in a good amount of time. couple that with all the pine needles and rain, you get the ideal situation for HIS problem, but I dont, Im at almost 80k miles and no cabin filter installed. with no problem.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #97
Fazulka

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Actually most of your problem is covered under the TSB and has nothing to do with the cabin air filter or lack of. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=tsb
I read through that thread, but i don't think that is the problem we had. Others have had the same problem i did because of the missing filter. I unclogged it, drained the water, put a cabin air filter in and haven't messed with it since. I installed it during the spring, now at least 6 months later we have not had a problem with smell since we got the carpet to stop smelling.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #98
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

My daughter's boyfriend and I got together, cut up a furnace filter and made filters for all three of our Yarises. I notice less dust settling on my dash since I put in the filter and now seldom drive with the windows open with the weather cooling off.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #99
b_hickman11

Quote:
I read through that thread, but i don't think that is the problem we had. Others have had the same problem i did because of the missing filter. I unclogged it, drained the water, put a cabin air filter in and haven't messed with it since. I installed it during the spring, now at least 6 months later we have not had a problem with smell since we got the carpet to stop smelling.

So you changed about 4 or 5 different varriables(including the filter) and you got better results....And you are claiming better results solely on the filter install? I have had a cabin air filter since day 1 in my 2007 Yaris and the AC smells pretty bad. I have a cabin air filter in my 2008 Yaris and it doesn't smell at all. Therefore it sounds like your smell was being caused by one of the other few things you changed not on the fact that you added a filter.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #100
Fazulka

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
So you changed about 4 or 5 different varriables(including the filter) and you got better results....And you are claiming better results solely on the filter install? I have had a cabin air filter since day 1 in my 2007 Yaris and the AC smells pretty bad. I have a cabin air filter in my 2008 Yaris and it doesn't smell at all. Therefore it sounds like your smell was being caused by one of the other few things you changed not on the fact that you added a filter.
True I did fix the smell by changing several variables, but the filter was the root problem. No filter let debris in, debris clogged drain, excess stagnant water got smelly and was splashing around in car. There may be other ac smells, but it mine was caused by the filter. The smells are not taken away by the filter, clogs are prevented by the filter.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #101
b_hickman11

Quote:
True I did fix the smell by changing several variables, but the filter was the root problem. No filter let debris in, debris clogged drain, excess stagnant water got smelly and was splashing around in car. There may be other ac smells, but it mine was caused by the filter. The smells are not taken away by the filter, clogs are prevented by the filter.
Awwww I see now. Guess you must live in an extra dusty/debris area. Don't think Toyota would consider making the cabin air filter standard based on a few area's conidition.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #102
amtoro

Drives: 2009 3LB Metheorite
In case it helps anyone.

Just a few weeks after buying the car I read this thread and quickly went to the dealership asking for my filter. For a while, they argued that if the car didn't come with it they were not obligated to give me one for free. The thing is, with all the paperwork they gave me when receiving the car, there was a "pre-delivery check list" and very clearly, they had checked "Install cabin filter". Asked for the sales manager and they accepted it. Got the OEM filter from their part's department for free.

Spray some fabreeze or sprinkle baking soda on top of the filter before installing it; it keeps the car very fresh.
amtoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #103
DANIELTNIEVES

Drives: 2010 yaris 3dr manual
how to position new cabin filter

There was no cabin filter in my 2010 Yaris. I got one at napa auto parts, but there were no instructions in the box and no one at napa knew exactly how to position it.

1.Do the ribs run side to side or front to back?

2.There is an arrow on the side of the filter but no words like TOP or UP. Do I install it with the arrow pointing up? At napa they said the arrow should point in the direction of the air flow, but I don't know if the air flows from top to bottom or bottom to top. The fan is under where the filter will go.

3.So how do I position the new filter?
DANIELTNIEVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #104
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELTNIEVES View Post
There was no cabin filter in my 2010 Yaris. I got one at napa auto parts, but there were no instructions in the box and no one at napa knew exactly how to position it.

1.Do the ribs run side to side or front to back?

Front to back

2.There is an arrow on the side of the filter but no words like TOP or UP. Do I install it with the arrow pointing up? At napa they said the arrow should point in the direction of the air flow, but I don't know if the air flows from top to bottom or bottom to top. The fan is under where the filter will go.

Arrow points in the direction of flow, which is down.

3.So how do I position the new filter?

See 1 and 2
See notes above
Old 12-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #105
eddie054

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerebilt View Post
went to change the cabin air filter in my 08 yaris s sedan. removed glove box and filter door. was no filter. the oe toyota filter fit in correctly. has any else run across this...
Went to change mine today after owning the car since new ten years later. Well, no cabin filter installed. Guess that's part of Toyota's "Lean Manufacturing".
eddie054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #106
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Toyota Yaris cabin filter mice

Cabin filter also stops mice...or they make a nest out of it so you know they got in. (Search "Mice" here...there are at least two places they crawl in.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote