Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Replaced belt today, Squealing gone.

I put the Dayco belt on today after blasting the pulleys with parts cleaner. So far no squeaking. I even backed it off a bit from my original tightening as it seemed quite taught.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
My good year belt also doesn't tighten to the same spot. But after a while, it stretches a bit. I believe I'm back at where it originally was now.

I would hear a tiny bit squeaking at start up, so I had to tighten it twice.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris serpentine belt

I like the occasional chirp on a cold start...tighter reduces accessories' bearing life.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Thanks for the responses gents! So far, so good. We had a lot of rain today and after a few drives, I shut down and restarted to see if I would get a chirp. No chirps yet. I agree, dogsridewith, I don't like too much tension on pulleys either for the precise reason you mention.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Got a bit of squealing today. If I turn the heater fan off, the belt immediately stops squealing. I tightened it a smidgen and then loaded up all the electrical I could in the car and got no belt slip/noise. I'm going to order one of the Continental Elite belts or pick an OEM one up from the dealer and give that a try. The Continenental has a "helicog" configuration, much what the Gatorback belts have, I believe.

The squealing only happens at low rpm or idle when there is an electrical demand. I'm wondering if a better battery might help as well. Measured voltages are pretty steady at around 14.3V with a slight dip at idle.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I've noticed 2 kinds of Yaris belt squeal. There is the short one right on start up. Which believe it or not seems to be cured by turning the key slower in the ignition.

I had an issue on mine where the Dayco belt on which was replaced the OEM one when the alternator died at about 9 years/90,000 miles. It started squealing in the mornings while i was driving, it would shut up when the car warmed up a bit. It had been on for less than 18 months when it started! Adjustments either way didn't shut it up so i changed it for a Chinesium "Blue Point" belt that has been fine for coming up on 2 years/40,000 miles. Even though its actually a little loose compared to what it should be at the moment. If it squeals on a cold morning i can always tighten it.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I've noticed 2 kinds of Yaris belt squeal. There is the short one right on start up. Which believe it or not seems to be cured by turning the key slower in the ignition.

I had an issue on mine where the Dayco belt on which was replaced the OEM one when the alternator died at about 9 years/90,000 miles. It started squealing in the mornings while i was driving, it would shut up when the car warmed up a bit. It had been on for less than 18 months when it started! Adjustments either way didn't shut it up so i changed it for a Chinesium "Blue Point" belt that has been fine for coming up on 2 years/40,000 miles. Even though its actually a little loose compared to what it should be at the moment. If it squeals on a cold morning i can always tighten it.
Yeah, I don't have a whole lot of faith in the Dayco now. Someone else cautioned me a while back about the Daycos. I'll see if another brand, such as the Continental or OEM belt will improve things, although it's been silent for the past few days.

And, I too saw the youtube video about pausing for a few seconds before turning the key to the start position. It worked like a charm before (and after) I replaced the belt. I posted a link to it in another thread.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:32 AM   #8
zoidberg444

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yeah, I don't have a whole lot of faith in the Dayco now. Someone else cautioned me a while back about the Daycos. I'll see if another brand, such as the Continental or OEM belt will improve things, although it's been silent for the past few days.

And, I too saw the youtube video about pausing for a few seconds before turning the key to the start position. It worked like a charm before (and after) I replaced the belt. I posted a link to it in another thread.
The OEM belt from Toyota is pretty expensive. I'm not sure who makes it for them. I'd try the continental belt first. I've heard other people have issues with Dayco belts screaming for no reason. It's why I replaced it and I've been vindicated so far. Only squealed once on a very cold morning when I'd flattened the battery a bit and it's probably a little loose anyway.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
The OEM belt from Toyota is pretty expensive. I'm not sure who makes it for them. I'd try the continental belt first. I've heard other people have issues with Dayco belts screaming for no reason. It's why I replaced it and I've been vindicated so far. Only squealed once on a very cold morning when I'd flattened the battery a bit and it's probably a little loose anyway.

Thanks zoidberg444. I plan to order the Continental belt. I'm getting a little nervous about having the Dayco cranked up so tight.

I found this document but not really sure how I would measure it effectively. I'd likely go with the belt deflection at point B, but how to determine 22 lbs, I'm not sure.

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...in-pa01112.pdf

EDIT: After looking at a hardware website, I may pick up a small spring scale with a hook. Canadian Tire has a 50 lb scale for a decent price. I could run a straight edge across the pulleys joining section B, pull down on the belt with 22 pounds and measure deflection.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:18 AM   #10
zoidberg444

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Thanks zoidberg444. I plan to order the Continental belt. I'm getting a little nervous about having the Dayco cranked up so tight.

I found this document but not really sure how I would measure it effectively. I'd likely go with the belt deflection at point B, but how to determine 22 lbs, I'm not sure.

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...in-pa01112.pdf

EDIT: After looking at a hardware website, I may pick up a small spring scale with a hook. Canadian Tire has a 50 lb scale for a decent price. I could run a straight edge across the pulleys joining section B, pull down on the belt with 22 pounds and measure deflection.
Yeah. You should be careful overtightening the belt because you could burn out the bearings on the pulleys if you leave it like that for a while.

To be honest. When I did it, I used my calipers and opened them to 11mm. Positioned them roughly in the middle of the belt and then tugged with my finger to measure the deflection. Not to hard and then eye balled it. Seems to have worked pretty well. I'd start a little loose and then maybe add some tension if it squeals.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Yeah. You should be careful overtightening the belt because you could burn out the bearings on the pulleys if you leave it like that for a while.

To be honest. When I did it, I used my calipers and opened them to 11mm. Positioned them roughly in the middle of the belt and then tugged with my finger to measure the deflection. Not to hard and then eye balled it. Seems to have worked pretty well. I'd start a little loose and then maybe add some tension if it squeals.

Yes, however I do it, I will do it soon. I'm going to look through our shop today and see if we have any kind of scale that I can use. And, I'll follow your advice of starting looser and adding a bit of tension each time to eliminate squeal. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:46 AM   #12
40mpg

Drives: 2009 Yaris
My Yaris would squeal pretty bad when I first got it. I tightened the belt and it's gone away. It usually would do it when I started the car with the A/C on. I replaced the belt on another courier driver's Yaris, and had to re-tighten it a few days later to stop the squealing. I guess the belt stretches a bit as said in here previously.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
I use Bando and find they are the best quality (especially for non squealing)..

https://www.ebay.com/p/Serpentine-Be...hn=ps&thm=1000
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote