Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Problems starting the engine

Hi,

I've had my Yaris for 6 days now, am happy with it, but I've been experiencing a problem when starting the engine. I try to start it and sometimes nothing happens. Just like when you don't have the clutch pedal depressed. It happened a few times already, so I'm starting to get worried. This morning it happened on the exit ramp off the highway. I was waiting for traffic to pass, it was a little steep, so I stalled the engine. It took me about 5 tries to re-start it. It's weird, it doesn't happen all the time, I keep trying a couple times and eventually it starts. Afterwards I went to get gas and after I filled it, it didn't start either the first 2 tries. Does anyone have any idea, did anyone experience this before?

Thanks, Florin
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
take it to the dealer, there's gotta be a bad electrical connection somewhere, most likely the clutch sensor or the starter system itself...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yes, it definatly sounds like a electrical problem, i have experienced these these things in other cars, it can be something as simple as a bad ground on the starter or could be as bad as the PCM/ECU loosing communication with the engine.

It is still under warranty, so let the dealership figure it out.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Problem solved! I feel a little stupid, but I'm relieved, there was nothing wrong with my car, it was my foot :-) I experimented a bit and realized I wasn't depressing the clutch all the way. 5 mm made all the difference.
GO YARIS!
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Problem solved! I feel a little stupid, but I'm relieved, there was nothing wrong with my car, it was my foot :-) I experimented a bit and realized I wasn't depressing the clutch all the way. 5 mm made all the difference.
GO YARIS!
Hey Thomas bring back memories of you and your Yaris for the first time starting at the dealership?
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
*whistles innocently*

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Quote:
GO YARIS!
At least your car is fine!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
miroatlanta
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Man, did this thread save me a lot of headache! Same story. I've had my Yaris for about 2 months, and it's an awesome car! Yesterday, I went to start it, and nothing. All the instrument panel lights came on, but the starter and engine were silent. After a few attempts, it started just fine.
This morning, same thing. And after a few tries, it started. I got to work, and immediately called the dealership, scheduled a tow truck and cussed my new car!
On a whim, I Googled "Toyota Yaris ignition problem" and this was the first thing that appeared. I went outside, put the clutch to the floor, HARD, and she started right up. I tried it several times with different amounts of pressure, and that 5mm of play really does make all the difference!
The weird thing for me is, I haven't changed the way I drive that car since I bought it, so why now is it so sensitive? Is the clutch "adjusting"? Is my left hip crumbling?
Thanks for the tip, y'all!
miroatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
On my 5 speed ECHO I had ice get in the clutch switch during the winter. Press down all the way on the clutch and...no start! I replaced the battery because it was 7 years old (stupid...there were bright ignition lights!) New battery...same results! In frustration I slammed down on the clutch and felt the ice crack and give about half an inch and it started. Something to think about when your manual equipped car wont start. If I had a manaul now I would short the two wires together on that freakin switch!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
On my 5 speed ECHO I had ice get in the clutch switch during the winter. Press down all the way on the clutch and...no start! I replaced the battery because it was 7 years old (stupid...there were bright ignition lights!) New battery...same results! In frustration I slammed down on the clutch and felt the ice crack and give about half an inch and it started. Something to think about when your manual equipped car wont start. If I had a manaul now I would short the two wires together on that freakin switch!
I did.

For my remote starter, but same effect, lol, and it works
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
GO YARIS!
Hmm, sounds familiar... I had my car a few days when i was having this issue (then again, I was also stalling my car kinda frequently as I hadn't previouisly owned a stick-shift). I was gettin very frustrated.

But now that I'm experienced (all of only 2 months to the day), I don't have this problem. (well, the starting at least... the stalling still happens on occassion when stopped going up a hill and I don't feel like redlining it to get it moving again......)

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote