Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
JDJanitor

Drives: 2016 yaris
Buying from Hertz tomorrow

Hello, new to the forum.
has any one bought a used Yaris from Hertz? I am a bit hesitant, but it is a 2016 Yaris L 5 door absolutely red. 42k miles. It will be about $10k out the door.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
JDJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 AM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
I don't think you should have anything to worry about. Rental companies generally look after their cars vey well, as they can't affort the bad publicity of people having problems when they hire a car.

I bought my Yaris as a 3 tear old ex rental with 60000 kilometers on it. The log book was in the glove box and showed every service carried out by a Toyota dealer. It now has another 30000 trouble free kilometers since then. The only money I have spent on it was for tyres, fuel and routine service.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
I don't think you should have anything to worry about. Rental companies generally look after their cars vey well...
+ 1

From my exerience, better than the average consumer.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Probably my dozenth time stating on here that my ex rental is the best car, new or used, I have ever owned.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Two of my Yaris were previous fleet. One a rental and the other a company fleet unit. Both have been good. The one I've put 50,000 miles on without any incident.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
JDJanitor

Thanks guys, I ended up buying a blue L model automatic. 43k miles.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJanitor View Post

Congrats! Post pics when you can...

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Remember to show your AAA card and you will receive a $300 discount off the non-negotiable price. This discount applies to the Hertz rent 2 buy cars and the Hertz certified used cars.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 AM   #9
JDJanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Remember to show your AAA card and you will receive a $300 discount off the non-negotiable price. This discount applies to the Hertz rent 2 buy cars and the Hertz certified used cars.
Oh man, I didn't show them AAA. It was a certified pre-owned one too.
That would have been 2 months payments!

The reason I really bought the car is because my Silverado only gets about 14.5 mpg.
I reset the average mpg On my ride from dealership to work, and then back home I averaged 40 mpg! As long as the little meter on the dash is accurate I know that this car will save more in fuel than I need to pay.
I will have to get some pictures up soon

Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #10
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
Congratulations! I'm sure it will be a nice change of driving experience from your Silverado.

Why the switch from red to blue?
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Enjoy your Yaris driving experience and smile at the fule bill savings and easier parking.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 AM   #12
JDJanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
Congratulations! I'm sure it will be a nice change of driving experience from your Silverado.

Why the switch from red to blue?
The red one I originally wanted did not look so good in person. Some of the paint looked like it was rougher than it should have been like it wasn't finished correctly maybe repainted at some point. The other red one had a big ding in the rocker panel.

The blue one actually looks the best in my opinion from the ones I saw. Overall it went pretty well, but there are some discrepancies I noticed after I purchased. The bumper does not seem to clip into the body correctly and pops out a little bit. When I turn all of the way the driver side Tire rubs a little bit on the black plastic inside the wheel well. It almost looks as if somebody broke underneath on a curb or something.

The air filter must have been the original Toyota Denso. It was filled with debris and I noticed that it looks like a piece of the clamp for the top air filter cover maybe missing.

On the driver's side in the corner of the windshield for some reason the seal cuts across and is not in place where it should be.

And I think it needs to new front tires one I believe is original it is dated from 2015 the other is a made in Indonesia Tire. It seems to slightly veer right on straight aways.

The wiper blade ended up having a tear in the middle but that was a very easy replacement I did that today.

It looks like somebody tried to pry open the fuel door as well it doesn't quite sit right but it still works with the release latch so all is well there

Even with all of the small things I am still happy with the car it is so much easier to maneuver and park than the truck and the gas savings is outstanding I have over 40mpg average for about 100 miles. My Silverado gets about 14.5mpg on the same roads! This car will end up treating me well for many years. I plan to do a drain and refill on transmission, and oil change as soon as I have the time. After that I want to get those nice all weather mats, and the car is good to go.

9.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by JDJanitor; 05-19-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #13
JDJanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
Enjoy your Yaris driving experience and smile at the fule bill savings and easier parking.
I have already begun enjoying the huge fuel savings! I am amazed that I did not do this sooner. Headlights are great at night too this is a really cool little car it's basically like driving around a big go-kart

Old 05-18-2018, 04:51 AM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Very interesting. What else can a AAA card to for you? TIA!
Old 05-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #15
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Very interesting. What else can a AAA card to for you? TIA!
One discount that I found particularly useful last year was getting unlimited Carfax reports (using license plate) and ~10 reports using VIN for $39.99 for 3 months. That is a good value compared to full price. I started Carfaxing cars like crazy just to see what the reports said.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #16
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
it's basically like driving around a big go-kart
A big go-kart that gets 35 mpg on the freeway!

I've always had blue cars but my recent ones have been white. I really like the blues on Toyotas. Especially that Blazing Blue from the older Yaris. Enjoy!
Old 05-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
One discount that I found particularly useful last year was getting unlimited Carfax reports (using license plate) and ~10 reports using VIN for $39.99 for 3 months. That is a good value compared to full price. I started Carfaxing cars like crazy just to see what the reports said.
That's a good tip!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
JDJanitor

My last red vehicle was the 1999 red Toyota Tacoma I bought in 2012. that vehicle turned so pink and bleached over the years I was concerned that the red Yaris would do the same. Also the blue Yaris has a metallic Sheen to it and seems to have a clear coat the red yaris did not look to have a clear coat
Overall the blue Yaris I feel was better condition and I am happy I made the purchase.
I will have to start using my AAA card I just don't ever seem to notice people advertising discounts for it . Or I probably just look past them.