Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
dinop
dino

Drives: '07 Toyota Yaris (sedan)
Replacement Radio + Steering Wheel Control Questions

Hey Everyone!
My Yaris' head unit is in rough shape. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it does work, it works well. I mainly use it with my iPhone so it's in AUX mode most of the time. However, I do listen to CD's and whenever I put one in, it's crap. It takes forever to read ANY type of CD, and you can forget about skipping tracks when it does. You have to fast forward like a cassette to get to the next track.

Anyway, I've been doing research and I was thinking about replacing the HU with Scion's T1807 or T1808 HUs. Anybody know if I'd be able to retain the AUX capabilities with the T1807? All I see is a SAT button, meaning I'd have to purchase one of those Sirius->iPod kits, right? I'd rather keep the stock AUX port.

Also, I want steering wheel controls. I had them in my Range Rover, We have them in the Volvo, I'd really like them in the Yaris as well. I've been searching through the forum and I've found the posts about using a Scion steering wheel, which sounds like something I'd want to do, BUT I don't want to play with the airbags or pay all that $$$ for one that fits in the Scion wheel. My parents also have a Yaris, but theirs has cruise control, meaning its got that little stalk coming out of the steering wheel. Is there any way that the cruise control stalk could be wired to the radio? Are the connections the same? They all have to go through the wiring cassette on the steering column anyway. It'd be cool if it was that easy! Then all you'd have to do is play around with it to see what each switch on the stalk does.

Can anybody help me out here?

Dino, VT
07 Toyota Yaris Sedan- stock, 281k, daily driver
09 Toyota Yaris Sedan- stock, 128k...parents car
95 Audi S6- alt daily driver, 5 cyl turbo, 224k
75 Triumph TR6- Current restoration project, 8k
dinop is offline   Reply With Quote