Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
Gdubsmith

Drives: 2007 yaris
4 wheel drive Yaris north america

Ok so I have a 2007, flat black Yaris. I want gonna get rid of her but I love her too much. I want to make her everything she can be. I want to make an American Yaris beach buggy. I need suggestion on how, if possible, to convert my Yaris to 4wd. Please any feedback would be awesome! Type of trans, drive Tran ect
Gdubsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubsmith View Post
Ok so I have a 2007, flat black Yaris. I want gonna get rid of her but I love her too much. I want to make her everything she can be. I want to make an American Yaris beach buggy. I need suggestion on how, if possible, to convert my Yaris to 4wd. Please any feedback would be awesome! Type of trans, drive Tran ect
find a matrix in a junk yard with the 4x4 drive train and use that ...think that would be cool.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have looked at merging an older RAV4 and a Yaris, but significant chassis mods would be necessary to fit the drivetrain in.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:16 AM   #4
Gdubsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
find a matrix in a junk yard with the 4x4 drive train and use that ...think that would be cool.
Do you think that would fit? Are there any other mix matched that might work?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
Gdubsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have looked at merging an older RAV4 and a Yaris, but significant chassis mods would be necessary to fit the drivetrain in.
What kind of chasis modifications are they doable?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
The original Vitz in Japan came with AWD i believe
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Yeah. Except I've seen TWO 4x4 Matrixes in like ten years, and one of them was my wife's.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
What kind of chasis modifications are they doable?
It would require basically removing the entire lower structure of the Yaris body and replacing it with the RAV4 lower structure. It would not be a practical thing to do because of how the unibodies are structured. Bolting it onto a cut-down Tacoma frame would probably be the best way to go, but used Tacomas are not cheap.

There is a AWD version of the Yaris sold only in Japan, but it too has a different lower body structure to provide a tunnel for the driveshaft.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Check this guy out. http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/vitz...celica-gt-swap

Dont know if he lived long enough after that build. Lol. Doesnt seem to be too much info on it but it looks like this guy must have done it. There are some video links but i couldnt open them. That body kit makes me lol.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Pics please. Been wondering what a flat black Yaris would look like. My paint's gone to hell, looking at alternatives...
Old 04-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
clearly the best option is to get a second yaris and cut the front clip and subframe and match it up to the rear and make a duel engine AWD yaris. probably the easier option to gain AWD plus it doubles the HP...theoretically.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
clearly the best option is to get a second yaris and cut the front clip and subframe and match it up to the rear and make a duel engine AWD yaris. probably the easier option to gain AWD plus it doubles the HP...theoretically.
Something similar was done by a guy in quebec with a 03' echo hatchback. He dropped two engines (cant remember what kind) boosted them and converted it to a front and rear engine rear drive platform. I dont speak french but the retarded smile on the test drivers face told me everything i needed to know haha.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
Old 04-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Something similar was done by a guy in quebec with a 03' echo hatchback. He dropped two engines (cant remember what kind) boosted them and converted it to a front and rear engine rear drive platform. I dont speak french but the retarded smile on the test drivers face told me everything i needed to know haha.
It was two 4age motors with turbos and the C160 transmissions. They were in a '04 ex-echo cup car. There's a YouTube vid of it.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #14
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
It was two 4age motors with turbos and the C160 transmissions. They were in a '04 ex-echo cup car. There's a YouTube vid of it.
Yes, exactly. It was rear drive, right? Not awd.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Yes, exactly. It was rear drive, right? Not awd.
It was dual engined, so AWD yes.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
cparker

Drives: 2014 Yaris L
The thing to do is convert your Yaris into a 4x4 hybrid by adding small electric motors to each rear wheel . You'd have to figure out a place for a battery pack , like under the seats. Add a plug in to recharge the battery.
cparker is offline   Reply With Quote