Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
DIY: Discreet Mounting of 12V adaptor for the Gtech & V1

I didn’t quite feel I had adequate enough electrical skills necessary for adding additional 12V plugs like this http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=12v on a new car. However I needed a discreet set up to run at least two devices that utilized 12V power without gaudy wires running everywhere, thus this FAQ. After exploring locations for mounting the 3 plug accessory adaptor I found tons of room on top of the black plastic panel under the dash and in front of the pedals.

First undo these two screws, then detach a white plastic clip from the back and the panel will come down.
Yaris 054.jpg

I then removed the "sunglass holder" glove box located on the bottom left of the steering wheel. From the open position lift up gently and turn to the side.
Yaris 037.jpg

Then the A-pillar was removed by a slight prying action with a flathead screwdriver covered with cloth for the top two plastic screws. You can not see the screws as they “unsnap” similar to buttons.
Yaris 034.jpg
Yaris 035.jpg

I then snaked the wires from the desired position (top left corner of the windshield for me) along the A-pillar line, down the hole through the sunglass glove box and to the removed panel.
Yaris 038.jpg

I then affixed the 3 port 12v adapter to the removed panel with velcro and tested the devices.
Yaris 044.jpg

I reattached the panel above the pedals and took this shot through the Sunglass glove box showing the 12v adapter and the two accessories I have plugged in.
Yaris 0491.JPG

Snapped the glove box and A-pillar back up and tucked the wire from the stock main plug.
Yaris 053.jpg
Yaris 055.jpg
Yaris 052.jpg

More on the G-tech later, I’ll post about it in the Performance section once I hopefully solve a RPM calibration issue. Otherwise it is useless to us Liftback owners as a solution for a Tach.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:01 AM   #2
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
I can help you on that calibartion issue mate.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:32 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
nice toes :D

cool wiring job too!
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:35 AM   #4
Katana

When I used the Gtech to measure my horsepower, I had problems with thw results.After the test it showed that I only had 62hp!

So, the calibration was wrong.I needed to turn on all the lights of the car, even the fog lights and the radio.Anything that uses electrical power.

After that, the results were 80hp, which is pretty normal.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 AM   #5
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
looks good. keep us updated with the g-tech.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
Katana

Τhis G-tech is great stuff.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
Hey Katana thanks for the help but it is a different issue. I bought primarily for it to serve as my Tach since the US spec does not have one...secondly for its proven ability (C&D R&T mags etc..) to measure hp, 1/4 mile, G's and tq not so much on this car but when/if I pick up another sports car. The problem is that in order for it to accurately read RPMs you need to sync it with a stock or aftermarket gauge (rev to 2K hold it press "ok" then 4K hold and it is set.) So I'm now trying to figure out a way to sync it…...One way is bring it to a dealer hop into a sedan, that is probably what I am going to do but I don’t really want to remove all my wires and panels to unhook it. Alternatively I'm looking for ways to read it via the OBD II port or some other way that is "rentable" since it is a one time deal. I'll make another post in the performance category for any other issues with it as well as when it is fully functioning.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:50 AM   #8
Katana

Ι see.

When I did the calibration with the rpms of my engine, I had no problems.I think that you have to rev up to 3000rpms 2-3 times in order to make it correct.Doesn't it have any manual?