Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #55
Mr.Yaris

Drives: 2007 "Flint Mica" S-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
does anyone here know if the fuel guage is set to "drop" slower when it's full? i noticed that when i get to the half-way mark, the bars tend to disappear quicker.
The reason is likely in the tank's shape & design. My Camaro and my wife's Trans Am are both the same way. When the gas gauge reads 3/4 tank, it's really @ 1/2 tank, and once it reaches that mark, it drops quicker and quicker. When it's at 1/4 tank, you're pretty close to Empty, closer to 1/8 tank. I'm sure the Yaris is the same way. I've noticed this as well with my Yaris, and I'm sure if i asked my wife, she'd tell me her Yaris was the same way (yes, we have two Yarises. They're our "daily drivers" and the Camaro & T/A are our "weekend toys"...)
Mr.Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #56
Mr.Yaris

Drives: 2007 "Flint Mica" S-Type
To those arguing about whether mpg goes up with certain mods, I can assure you, minor bolt-ons DO, in fact, increase mpg, and here's why. Certain mods, like CAI, lightweight pulleys, lightweight wheels, etc. help the engine work less to achieve the same power. With CAI, the engine doesn't have to waste as much HP sucking the air through a restrictive filter. Instead, it breathes easier, and therefore less power is wasted doing so, which translates to better mpg. Adding a lightweight pulley and/or wheels reduces rotating mass, and once again, allows the engine to produce the same amount of power with less work, and thus better gas mileage is the result.

People who say otherwise don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. I've modified a number of cars, and most well-known to me are the Camaro and Trans Am that my wife and I own. When I first started modifying these cars with the smaller "bolt-ons"- CAI, pulleys, headers, exhaust, spark plugs & wires, etc., I noticed not only did these cars make more power, but they got better gas mileage. It wasn't until I started doing other mods that lowered my gas mileage- bigger injectors, camshaft, ported heads & intake, reprogrammed computer, rear axle gears, etc. There's a very clear difference between mods that help an engine MAKE MORE POWER, and mods that help an engine WORK LESS AND MAKE THE SAME POWER WITH LESS WORK/RESISTANCE.

I heard someone got better mileage by changing their oil. I will back this member up. I've seen it first-hand, and I can tell you it's because of the same reason that CAI, pulleys, etc. help improve mpg. Premium-quality oils = better engine lubrication = less resistance & wear on engine internals = less work the engine has to waste on simply running.

Now, some people claiming that just one of these mods improves their mileage by 4-5 mpg or more makes me raise an eyebrow of doubt to their claim, however, it's most certainly believeable if you did several of these mods- oil, CAI, pulleys, etc., you would definitely see a 4-5 (or more) mpg increase.
Mr.Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote