Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Previous gen Echo shocks on current gen Yaris

I have researched this quite a bit, and with no definitive answer. I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris and i really want Koni's for it. With no progress in site, i have looked into the topic again. I came across a site on this forum with toyota part numbers: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ so after looking on there, i noticed that quite a few parts are identical, for example the nut that attaches to the strut, the knuckle that the lower bracket of the strut attaches to is identical, leading me to believe that they are nearly the same. The major difference is the sway bar mount. The sway bar mount on the yaris is a tab welded to the strut body. Thus that is the problem that must be a addressed.

The rear is the same deal, the rear upper nut is the same, and the beam frame thing is identical part number. This leads me to believe that they should mat up pretty well, minus the sway bar issue.

So what is left is deciding how to sort out the sway bar issue, which should be as easy as having a machine shop welding on a tab for you to mount the sway bar endlink. If anyone else had ideas or inputs, or sees a flaw in my logic, let me know. Also, has anyone ACTUALLY tried using an echo shock on a yaris? ive heard alot of maybes, but no one really seems certain. Anyways, i have ordered a set of Koni's for the previous gen Echo, and I am going to give it a shot. So wish me luck, i hope this works out! But it may be more complicated that i expected, but lets hope not.

Thanks for your input!

Ken
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
What are you going to do about the swaybar? You don't want to be welding to the strut body. I haven't even looked under the car lately, but perhaps a speedway style swaybar could work and endlink mounts could be welded to the arms? Or you could weld a bracket on to the arms to accept a short endlink.

You reasoning seems sound, and it is worth a shot. Sounds like your biggest concern (aside from the front sway bar) will be the compressed and extended lengths of the dampers, but I would imagine they are similar.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

yeah, you bring up some of the concerns i had. i was concerned about welding onto the strut body, so perhaps instead, i could go down from the sprint seat instead? or like you said, relocate the second link mount to the A arm. Once i get the dampers and make sure the rest of it fits, i will tackle the sway bar problem. Thanks for the ideas though, the more the better.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
all that for adjustable shocks? seems like a lot of work...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the stock swaybar endlinks are super long.. i don't see why you couldn't modify your LCA's to mount the sway from below instead of off the strut.

the $$ spent and time and headaches though.. and you could probably just keep an eye out for someone selling coilovers used..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
welding onto the strut body is fine as long as you know what your doing. i welded a swaybar tab onto my bilstein shocks on my old 3 series bmw so i could use a M3 swaybar, no problems at all.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
the stock swaybar endlinks are super long.. i don't see why you couldn't modify your LCA's to mount the sway from below instead of off the strut.
i think this is what im leaning towards...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
welding onto the strut body is fine as long as you know what your doing. i welded a swaybar tab onto my bilstein shocks on my old 3 series bmw so i could use a M3 swaybar, no problems at all.
yeah? this was my original idea... I will probably go to a machine shop and have them take a look and see what they think. do you have any pics or thoughts you may want to share??
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
all that for adjustable shocks? seems like a lot of work...
not so much the adjustability, but superior valving and the capacity to be rebuilt to different specs. most off the shelf dampers have garbage for valving.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
I have a stack of echo shocks lying around, if you need any dimensions, let me know.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Well, i got a hold of some Echo shocks and struts. I unbolted my stock components to see if they would fit, and they WILL NOT. So we can finally rule that out. I was majorly bummed because that would have really opened some new products open up for us.

Anyways, if anyone is intrested in specifics, the lower rear bolt is different. The stock yaris is very small, and the Echo mounts on a larger stud. The front strut holes are too far apart on the Echo. Other than that, both upper mounts look like they would work (but that may be a different story) and the strut spring perch look compatible.

Thought you guys might want to know.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Photos would be helpful here. But, I'm not hearing anything that would make it impossible to fit.

In the rear, you say that the Echo uses a larger lower bolt. That can be easily fixed with a bushing to fit the smaller Yaris bolt to the Echo shock.

In the front, use the Yaris upper mount. If the shock shaft diameter is larger, can the upper mount hole be enlarged to fit it?

The front lower mounts, as long as they fit around the hub assemblies, shouldn't be a problem. Fix the too-wide bolt spacing by redrilling the lower hole.

Unless I'm missing something, it sounds doable with some very minor modifications.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

yeah, i was thinking about that. What i was thinking in the rear was either a sleeve around the bolt, or enlarge the actual bolt hole on the car. The later would make using a stock yaris shock impossible though, so maybe not a great idea.

As for the front, the distance i am talking about is the holes on the lower bracket. They are about a half to a full inch farther apart. Everything on the top looks like it will work.

What i really need to do is do a comparison of the actual yaris shock off the car, but that means i have to pull mine off, figure out what modifications need to be done, and then put it all back together. and then test fit the new parts to see how it turns out.

So anyone got any stock shocks they want to donate?? :D

maybe i shouldnt give up on it quite yet...
Old 02-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Photos would be helpful here. But, I'm not hearing anything that would make it impossible to fit.

In the rear, you say that the Echo uses a larger lower bolt. That can be easily fixed with a bushing to fit the smaller Yaris bolt to the Echo shock.

In the front, use the Yaris upper mount. If the shock shaft diameter is larger, can the upper mount hole be enlarged to fit it?

The front lower mounts, as long as they fit around the hub assemblies, shouldn't be a problem. Fix the too-wide bolt spacing by redrilling the lower hole.

Unless I'm missing something, it sounds doable with some very minor modifications.

couple problems with front upper

yaris has socket head inside the top of the strut rod
echo(and most other struts that have a 3bolt mount) has flatsided portions that the spring top hat fits into to keep it from rotating. also the bearing surfaces are different between the two shocks. the yaris upper mounts would bind up if used with echo shocks

how much "off" are the lower bolt holes between the echo and yaris?

next question...

why are we sticking to toyota here? anyone thought about maybe a mazda strut?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
yeah, i was thinking about that. What i was thinking in the rear was either a sleeve around the bolt, or enlarge the actual bolt hole on the car. The later would make using a stock yaris shock impossible though, so maybe not a great idea.
Yeah, enlarging the hole on the car would be the easiest thing to do, but making permanent mods to non-removable parts of the car should always be the last resort.

Quote:
As for the front, the distance i am talking about is the holes on the lower bracket. They are about a half to a full inch farther apart. Everything on the top looks like it will work.
That's what I thought you meant. Just drill a hole in the appropriate place. (slot it for camber while you're at it!)
Quote:
What i really need to do is do a comparison of the actual yaris shock off the car, but that means i have to pull mine off, figure out what modifications need to be done, and then put it all back together. and then test fit the new parts to see how it turns out.

So anyone got any stock shocks they want to donate?? :D

maybe i shouldnt give up on it quite yet...
I have stock shocks on the shelf in the garage that I could take pictures and measurements of... but I'm keeping them in case I need to return the car to stock.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Yeah, enlarging the hole on the car would be the easiest thing to do, but making permanent mods to non-removable parts of the car should always be the last resort.

That's what I thought you meant. Just drill a hole in the appropriate place. (slot it for camber while you're at it!)

I have stock shocks on the shelf in the garage that I could take pictures and measurements of... but I'm keeping them in case I need to return the car to stock.
Would you mind taking picture of the upper strut? and how about a measurement of the bolt holes in the lower bracket. I will get some pics of the upper mount and lower bracket here as well. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
couple problems with front upper

yaris has socket head inside the top of the strut rod
echo(and most other struts that have a 3bolt mount) has flatsided portions that the spring top hat fits into to keep it from rotating. also the bearing surfaces are different between the two shocks. the yaris upper mounts would bind up if used with echo shocks

how much "off" are the lower bolt holes between the echo and yaris?

next question...

why are we sticking to toyota here? anyone thought about maybe a mazda strut?
yea, i had not thought of that. i figured i could just swap the upper mount on and it would not be a big deal. The echo shocks dont have a flatside on the strut though, so perhaps that wont be an issue.

i just found out that echo shocks fit xA and xB, i was not aware of that...
Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

ok here are the pics... i see what you mean about the slotting, there is a really thin spot with notching. now i need to get the tape measure out :p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1143.JPG (509.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1144.JPG (454.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1145.JPG (470.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1148.JPG (451.9 KB, 93 views)