Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
SedanDan

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Coilover Install... Problem

Started to put my new megan racing coilovers on today and for the life of me, I could NOT get the 2 bolts that hold the shock to the wheel hub loose. Basically the two bolts that clamp around the shock assembly to hold it in place. Snapped 3 sockets, and broke a wrench trying to break these two bolts loose. Even got out the Sh-long breaker bar... nothing. Question is this, is there a trick to loosening these bolts? Are they left handed threads? thanks ahead of time
SedanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I had the same issue on mine. Bolts are meant as a permenant bond so they are torqued extremly tight. On top of that they come into contact with all the road dirt and grime and elements.

You didnt list this yet so I will recommend trying some PB blaster or WD40 on them. Spray loads of it on the bolts and try and get between the washer looking part of the bolt and the hub itself and between the nut and the bolt. Let that sit for a while and give it another go. I did this but unfortunately the only thing that worked for me was to find someone to zap it with an impact gun. They were just too stuck to remove with hand tools. GL

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
SedanDan

Ah yes I used Liquid Wrench on it, AND then used an impact on the bolt side while my dad used the Sh-long breaker bar on the nut side... no luck... they are standard thread correct? Lefty loosey? lol
Old 05-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Yes, the threads are standard lefty loosey.

How long did you let the Liquid Wrench sit? If they are that difficult, spray it down and let it sit overnight.

If they still won't budge, try heating the nuts with a propane torch if you have one.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
tighten them a tick with the breaker bar and then try to loosen them
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
SedanDan

@WeeYari, I soaked the nuts in LW, then changed the oil in my dads car and came back to them. And @sex im going to probably grab my neighbor's gas welder and heat it accordingly
Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
You can always try hitting them with a hammer. If you get a really big iron mallet something in the 5lb range should work, put the wrench on as you would and hit the end of the wrench with the mallet. That should put enough impact on the nut to break it free.

FYI do not heat suspension components with a torch its a really bad idea. Rubber+Heat=Failure
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
not much rust/ice/salt out there in Riverside. It's usually our Northern & Eastern neighbors that have the most trouble. Got air tools?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
You can always try hitting them with a hammer. If you get a really big iron mallet something in the 5lb range should work, put the wrench on as you would and hit the end of the wrench with the mallet. That should put enough impact on the nut to break it free.

FYI do not heat suspension components with a torch its a really bad idea. Rubber+Heat=Failure
Not to mention these are gas filled struts and could potentially explode with lots of pieces going everywhere. Best bet is to take about a tablespoon full of PB Blaster warm it to about 100 degrees, pour all over the nut and exposed threads let sit about an hour or 2, then hit it with an impact using a hardened impact socket. Some times it just needs the touch of the impact to free everything up!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
woah^

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
SedanDan

So good news is, nuts are off... bad news is I guess I have NO idea on how to get the tophap to sammich between the top. Basically it seems to seat in the upper strut housing, but as soon as i lower the car, the whole assembly pushes up and heads towards the hood... like its not having any pressure between the coil itself and the hole in the engine bay (ie stock tophat mounting possition)