Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Drummy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatch
Whiteline Swaybar

Hey all!

It's been a while, but in that time I rummaged around in the forums gathering information on the swaybar and I finally caved.

It's an awesome purchase and I love the way it feels when I drive.

Just gonna go over a couple things I encountered during my install.

So the first problem I had was getting the OEM bolts out. Those shits were rusted on from years of the previous owners driving. I had to get creative in how I got them off, resulting in this little... Thing...

So little explanation, that is my breaker bar attached to the bolt, with a ratchet on the nut, being held in place by some bricks. No, the car is not being held up by the bricks, it is held up by jackstands. It worked surprisingly well, since the breaker bar could be used like a ratchet.

Once those were off, the bolts came out, and I could get the swaybar bolts in. Except they were too long and ended up needing to be forced in up against the back of my Brakes. That was taken care of with a little wiggling and some light hammering.

The next big challenge was the nylock nuts on the whiteline bolt. Kind of hard to do when you don't have an Allen wrench. So I improvised. I took a small u-bolt with nuts that were the exact size of the allen wrench needed, threaded a socket on the end of the u-bolt, and used a 1/2 inch drive ratchet to secure it. Once that was done, the hard part was over, and things started to line up nicely.

Now I am left with this beautiful piece of equipment that was a PITA. But I loved every second of the install. Every problem I found a solution to was icing on the cake.

So all-in-all, the install wasn't too hard, and could have been done a lot faster than the 5 hours I took, most of which was taking off rusted bolts with nothing but hand tools, if you had proper tools.
Drummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Nice. Could of just heated the bolt though. I guess as long as it did not break.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Drummy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatch
No heat. Only thing I would have had was a propane torch
Drummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Propane torch will do the trick, it just takes longer. Once your propane runs out grab a yellow bottle of MAP has (iirc) it burns hotter than propane and works a bit quicker