Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
Rostra Cruise Control install done on MT

I bought this cruise control on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

It came today and I installed it tonight. It only took about 1.5 hours start to finish. I saw a review somewhere else that said it was difficult to do. Maybe on the auto it is but the manual transmission was pretty easy.

I took it on a road test and it works perfectly, in fact I've never seen a cruise control maintain speed so accurately, must be the throttle by wire.

I'm very happy with it. Now when my girlfriend wants some luvin (she lives 80 miles away) I have no excuses.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Appear to be a great kit, but it's not interesting for Canada buyers because the price is too near of the dealer price. In Canada the dealer price is 400$ CDN installed.

Your kit is 235$ USD, add around 25$ USD to ship to Canada, then add brokerage and taxs, then add funds exchange rate... hummm... and take a chance to install it by your self... to save less than 100$. hehehe
Old 08-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
only 1.5hrs to install?? wow.
was it really that easy??
argylesocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
heydin

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris RS (mexican)
Has anyone found a better price? A similar kit for the Scion Xa/Xb is less than $175 and includes more parts since it is not a drive by wire system. I would be willing to become a distributor if there is enough interest. I'm not looking to make money, just save for all of us.
heydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
TC-LIFTBACK

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I dropped Rostra an email regarding a group buy on this baby. Looks like the ebay price has gone down to $230-235 shiped for MT/AT.

Let's hope this works out.

Let's get a group buy on this puppy!

-Ben
TC-LIFTBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
OK Yaris

Time for me to vent. From the Rostra website:

* Toyota dealerships have exclusivity in the following states:
Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi & Arkansas
Florida, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Georgia & Alabama
*Toyota dealerships have exclusivity in all provinces of Canada

So those of us in these states must pay dealership prices for cruise control, unless you happen to have a mother-in-law in South Dakota

Mike
OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
yaris-intuit
Aunty Yaris is In!

Drives: Blazing Blue, 2 Dr Hatchback
I had the dealership put it in for me and it was $446.60 installed plus GST = $473.40 CAN! It works great. My only beef is the location...you can't see it. Everything has to be done by feel but I'm getting it memorized - had my car 5days now.
yaris-intuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
SimmZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Yaris
Time for me to vent. From the Rostra website:

* Toyota dealerships have exclusivity in the following states:
Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi & Arkansas
Florida, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Georgia & Alabama
*Toyota dealerships have exclusivity in all provinces of Canada

So those of us in these states must pay dealership prices for cruise control, unless you happen to have a mother-in-law in South Dakota

Mike
WTF? You can always get it over eBay or on a web-store, no matter where you live!?

But as I told above, for a canadian customer, take 250$ USD over eBay, then add pretty expensive shipping, then add customs/GST/taxes/brokerage... it's very very near of the 400$ CDN installed on the dealer (when you negociate a price with them)...
Old 08-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
OK Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmZ
WTF? You can always get it over eBay or on a web-store, no matter where you live!?

No, you can't. These sellers on e-bay and internet sites have specific instructions not to sell to folks in these states. Some will ship to an alternate address though.
OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #10
ketel0ne

Drives: 2007 Liftback Blazing Blue
A distibutor in Minnesota for rostra at 1-877-402-3944 quoted me $212 about 10 minutes ago on the phone.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:42 AM   #11
AlexK

Hey I'm noticing something funny with my car. When I'm cruising in 5th gear (over half throttle) and let off the gas, put in the clutch and shift to neutral, the revs stay up where they were! I'm not talking a few seconds here... more like 30 seconds or more, the revs just sit there at 3000 to 4000 rpms. If I tap the gas a few times it will usually come back down but this is extremely annoying. It does it almost every time. I've been doing this a lot because by using my scangauge I've learned how to get incredible mpg by coasting. Today I drove from Reno, NV to San Francisco (220 miles) and averaged over 48 mpg (speed was 66 mph cruising speed)!

I'm not sure if it's related to the Rostra cruise control or not. I'll have to unhook the throttle connection and see if it still does it. When I find out what the cause is, either Rostra or Toyota is going to hear it from me.

Loving the cruise control for road trips... worth every cent!

Does anyone else's manual transmission Yaris do this with or without the Rostra cruise control?
Old 09-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
AlexK

Car is getting worse.
Yesterday my Yaris would not respond to throttle at an intersection. I would floor the pedal and the engine just stayed at idle. I pulled over (with difficulty) and fiddled with the cruise control wiring, shut off and restarted the car. Problem gone.
Last night my CEL came one. It returned code P2121 which is "bad throttle position sensor". I reset the code, unplugged the cruise control, and took it for a test drive. Everything is fine with the cruise control disconnected.

The Rostra cruise control is causing the problems. Either I got a bad one or the design is bad. I'm gonna talk to them after the weekend.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #13
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Sorry to hear about that. I think I'll put mine off for a bit.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #14
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
Car is getting worse.
Yesterday my Yaris would not respond to throttle at an intersection. I would floor the pedal and the engine just stayed at idle. I pulled over (with difficulty) and fiddled with the cruise control wiring, shut off and restarted the car. Problem gone.
Last night my CEL came one. It returned code P2121 which is "bad throttle position sensor". I reset the code, unplugged the cruise control, and took it for a test drive. Everything is fine with the cruise control disconnected.

The Rostra cruise control is causing the problems. Either I got a bad one or the design is bad. I'm gonna talk to them after the weekend.

Any word on what was up?
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
SimmZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
Car is getting worse.

Sorry to ear that... but that's exactly the reason why I prefer to pay my dealer for that kind of electronical installation.

I'm not sure your dealer will appreciate to see you install by yourself an aftermarket cruise control. They will probably ask you to pay the charges to fix that problem even if your car is brand new and warranty...
Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #16
AlexK

I will call Rostra on Tuesday. There is no problem with the car when the CC is disconnected. No reason to involve the dealer. I think I could un-install it without a trace anyway (excpet for the small hole where the switch mounts).

If it doesn't get resolved I'll ask for my money back. No biggie. I hope they can fix it though because I loved having the cruise control.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:44 AM   #17
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
So the problem is only on manual Yaris w/ the Rostra?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #18
ketel0ne

Drives: 2007 Liftback Blazing Blue
Any news on this?