Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
stran

Drives: '07 Yaris 3D HB Auto
Help Needed: Unlink A/C to Defroster

I don't like the way how the A/C has to be on when I turn on the front defrosters. I think there are two ways to fix this: fake out the detector switch so the car doesn't know you turned on the defroster, or kill the circuitry that automatically turns on the A/C.

In case you don't have the Factory Repair Manual Handy:
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/EWD.pdf
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairm...nditioning.pdf

This might get a little technical:
Option 1
One guest is that the switch could be inside the control knob itself, and the signal could be turned off by shorting the signal wire or soldering in a resistor. Take a look at page 245 of the Air Conditioning manual for more info about this. Or there could be a switch in the air damper that controls flow to the front defroster. See page 10.

Option 2
The Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual (filename: EWD.pdf) on page 239, 240, and 330 mentions "Defroster Mode Detection SW" in the context of air conditioning. SW means switch. The problem is that I don't know where this switch is physically located in the car. The diagram on page 50 and 52 might help answer this question but I can't put the two together.

Any help is appreciated, and I know I'm not the only person who wants to get rid of this.
stran is offline   Reply With Quote