Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
Slight engine over-rev - anything to worry about ?

hey guys , quick question ..

while i was racing the car , was in 3rd gear , slowed down a little , then put into 2nd , car reved up quite hi , but as soon as i put into 2nd put back into 3rd.

according to greddy info touch car normally limits at 6750 rpm , when i did that little crap gear change i hit 6805 RPM , any chance of damage ?
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Probably not if you do not notice anything by now.
Damage from over reving is usually instant and dramatic.

The 6750 RPM limiter is most likely a bit conservative (as it is with most engine limiters) and you only over reved it by 55 RPMs.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
over-rev under engine braking is not great, but no where near as bad
as revving under WOT
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
The Yaris has a rev limiter like most modern cars, designed to prevent you from over-revving the engine It will cut the ignition off before you exceed the max RPM.

Remember you can rev it into the red zone without killing the engine, it's just not recommended to keep it there too long...
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
if a piston does not fly out of your hood, you're all good ;)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

thanks for all the comments guys , really appreciate it.

yes , i recon the REAL rev limit of the car is a little bit higher for safety sake.
i just got a little spooked when i say 2ZR-FE engines with rockers that had popped off with the corrolla guys in USA.

took the car for a good spin after i washed is today , seems ok , so all good it seems. it still spins the wheels in 2nd so that should be good , haha ;-)
Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I used to bounce off the rev limiter in my old car (a 96 VW Passat with a VR6) and you'll know it when it does. All of a sudden it is like someone cut off the ignition. Once the RPMs drop it comes back on again, but you'll be accelerating one second then decelerating the next when it happens...

By the way, you need to ask the mods to merge your two threads on the same subject.

Cheers! M2
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

yeah , so i suppose the is some sort of pre-caution built in , i have heard of a few 1000cc yaris' here in RSA that was over-reved and caused the engine to completely "blow-up" , but that is a non toyota engine , the citroen C1 , peugout 1007 and a few others use the same engine.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

yeah , good idea , mods can you help out ?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
ArtS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Overrev

Aucorium,
You are undoubtedly ok with only 6805 rpm - there should be a generous margin there. However, the other comments about the rev limiter saving you are all bogus. The rev limiter will cut out the ignition if you rev too high with the accelerator for example but wouldn't be able to do anything for you if you DOWNSHIFTED (like you did) at too high a speed. The momentum of the car wouild overrev the engine in an instant -depending on how fast you were going. The rev limiter couldn't stop it.
ArtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

ahhh ok i see , makes sense , thanks for the input , yeah , luckly it didnt rev up to hi and i caught it in time , after the drive around with the car today , no problems it seems, still seems to have the same power etc.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I hit the rev limiter once or twice during autox if switching to 3rd is a waste of time. Been doing it for a year now. no problems yet. lol
Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

interesting observation i made , went for a blast around a few farm lands tonight , went up into top of 4th gear , hammered it WOT through all the gears , when i stopped and looked at the greddy info touch it said my highest rev reading was 6795 rpm , meaning , the 6805 rpm reading i saw wasnt that much over , and it seems on high speed WOT the car seems to rev up higher ? cause from 1st gear flat out it does 6705 rpm , and at higher RPM speeds its revving higher , so all good then i recon.

i also noticed the 2012 Lotus Elise S has the same base motor 1.8 2ZR-FE as mine , and they rev it till 7000 rpm , so it seems the engine can rev a bit , which means toyota was very conservative with the rev limit.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
If you REALLY want to over rev an engine, do like I have done, twice: while hooking up for tow behind my crane, first an old beater Subaru and a couple years later a Toyota All-Trac. Get distracted by whatever (contractor handing me a check in one case) and leave it in first gear. Then, make sure to reach speeds of 65 mph in the crane while towing, but make sure you arrange for a ride home first as you will NOT be driving the beater home. It seems like much above 14 K these engines usually will suffer some damage (duhhhh) the good thing is you know it as soon as you try and crank it, it ain't subtle at all!

Now, on my second All-Trac for 3 years now, so far so good, I think I've learned my lesson, of course I said that after the first one, we'll see.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote