Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Yaris17

Drives: Yaris
Transmission sounds, what is normal ?

Since I'm new to the yaris I am hearing sounds that I wonder if they are normal or not.
1. When the car shifts into first it sounds different that when it shifts into other gears. It is hard to explain but when it shifts into other gears I can slightly feel it shift but when it goes into first I can feel it shift slightly and also hear it shift.
2. When I am coasting to a stop with my foot off the gas and the break I hear a slight whoosh or whistle sound when it is approaching near stop.
Are these normal sound with the automatic tranny of these cars? Anyone else notice these?
Yaris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
RETRO

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
seriously relax and enjoy the car..You have 17 post with all concerns..Its a Toyota they are bullet proof.Your a lil paranoid
RETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris17 View Post
Since I'm new to the yaris I am hearing sounds that I wonder if they are normal or not.
1. When the car shifts into first it sounds different that when it shifts into other gears. It is hard to explain but when it shifts into other gears I can slightly feel it shift but when it goes into first I can feel it shift slightly and also hear it shift.
2. When I am coasting to a stop with my foot off the gas and the break I hear a slight whoosh or whistle sound when it is approaching near stop.
Are these normal sound with the automatic tranny of these cars? Anyone else notice these?
No, but then I usually have my radio on.

I know that when I first drive my Yaris...when its cold....the transmission is a little stiff. After it warms up and the cold light goes off, it is so smooth and shifts gears with almost no real notice.

Is you Yaris brand new or used? If it already has a lot of miles, you might have a concern, but in general, Toyota's are rock solid.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I know my 2007 AT has different shift points, when cold. Also will not go into 4th. until the COLD LED goes off {130F on my Scanguage}.

#2 could be the fact that the Yaris has DFCO {Deceleration Fuel Cutoff} and the transmission maybe acting like a brake.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote