Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #37
EleKid
Eugenie たでし

Drives: '09 Blazing Blue Liftback
BLEGH. I'm just going to dig a hole in my backyard and hide all my money there.
EleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #38
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
just remember not all places accept American Express Yaris Sedan and Bailout....

Right after my Under Drive pulley installs at Speed Element...they refused to take my American Express Blue Student Card because they had some dick on the east coast buy something off of them and get a total refund through American Express.....

Just FYI.... and dont get me wrong, i love AMEX to death, had it since 05 and no probs, easy credit limit increase :D
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #39
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Yeah i have a visa credit card as my secondary for those places who dont take amex. It is a bank of america though. If i wasnt on the markte for a home i would cancel all my cards with bank of america and find someone else. But i dont want to be doing so many drastic changes to my credit score at the moment such as opening and closing different lines of credit.

I have a visa and amex with bank of america. Retarded thing is i requested a amex so what they did is they cut my credit limit on my visa and took that credit and put it on my amex. So it was pretty much pointless. So my total available credit through bank of america is the same. If i knew they were going to do that i wouldnt have applied for the amex in the first place and went with another lender. So i plan to cancel my bank of america amex and just keep the visa. Now the question is if they will let me merge the credit line back with my visa.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #40
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It should not be much of a problem, if you carry only the AmEx card. You can travel and eat at most places. Most stores will take AmEx. If you need the ability to use Visa, you can get a debit card from your bank.

Building credit is easy. Pay your bills on time, if not ahead of due date. Late payments deducts points from your credit score. Make small loans and pay on time.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #41
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
It should not be much of a problem, if you carry only the AmEx card. You can travel and eat at most places. Most stores will take AmEx. If you need the ability to use Visa, you can get a debit card from your bank.

Building credit is easy. Pay your bills on time, if not ahead of due date. Late payments deducts points from your credit score. Make small loans and pay on time.
Yeah i followed all those rules you stated. Within the past year and half my credit score has jumped over 100 points. I think my car loan was the biggest boost to my credit.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 AM   #42
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
to be fair see if the Credit union offers a cred it card (visa or mastercard)

it's what I do.

We have our WaMu Visa/debit, a Bj's Visa ( great if you're a member ) and the Blue AmEx
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #43
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Our credit union offers Mastercard, no trouble ever, unlike Visa: the left us hanging 300 miles from home because we had made an error before we left for a long trip. That was almost 20 years ago, and the bastards are still renewing their mark against our credit rating! Never again with Visa.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #44
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Try Bank of America, leaving me hanging all the way across the Pacific Ocean... lol..
I was tired, sweaty, couldn't take a shower (no money) and got yelled at by cute japanese girls... FML 3 years ago~~

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-21-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #45
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
bailout, thanks for taking the time to write this post, it certainly provides most interesting information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
BofA has had problems for quite while now. When my wife and I first met over 10 years ago her account was with BofA. Her debit card number was her login to their online banking system (!) and her pin code was the password (!!!). I griped to them about this early on and was rebuffed.

Fast forward to 2000. She was still a Windows user at the time and there were no less than 4 cookie exploits for Internet Explorer. I again warned BofA about it and they basically told me that I didn't know what I was talking about. Within weeks many mainstream websites that served off of the Windows platform has been compromised and were combing visitor's cookies when they used IE.

Sure as hell, 3 weeks later a charge showed up in our account for a losing $1,000 bet at an online sports book. I checked out the sports book's site and they didn't even require an expiration date, name or anything else for a transaction... just a credit card number.

BofA took 3 weeks to give us our money back, and when they mentioned they would issue my wife a new card we said, "Don't bother." and merged our accounts into Wells Fargo.
Are you saying that some hacker sites highjacked the information contained in the cookies?

Quote:
Let me provide you with some warnings concerning Wells:

- Any transaction that favors the bank will take place either immediately or overnight; any transaction that favors you will take 2-5 business days.
Yes, I would agree with that, which can be infuriating at times.

Quote:
Without any warning they shut off our card last Tuesday. It wasn't just us... thousands of Shell/Citi customers had their accounts closed. We were all given some bullshit excuse that it was "something on your Experian credit report... a change in your FICO score". What made no sense from the start was that I'd just pulled our credit reports not 10 days earlier (a semi-annual event) and not only was nothing negative shown, but our FICO scores had gone up by roughly 30 points due to refinancing our home and some other dealings. Your FICO score is also not a static measurement, but a constantly evolving number. I mentioned all of this to the Citi CSR and he made it clear that it only said "something" on my Experian report, not necessarily something negative.

The accounts were closed, conveniently, on the 13th, because the billing cycle ends on the 14th and that's when they would normally disburse everyone's rebates. The fine print in the contract lets them keep the rebates if they close the account for any reason.

So, aside from the hassle of losing our primary credit card, we also lost over $50 in rebates that were due to us.
I'm always leary of these types of cash-back and rewards type of cards. For one thing, many come with fees and fine print and loopholes nobody understands, and they find ways to weasel out of their promises too easily. Closing an account on you is cold!! They usually just change the terms of the contract. I've only lost my airline miles, but that was enough of a warning for me to understand that there is probably no free lunch so why bother, I don't earn/spend that much money so the rewards would be negligible anyway .

Quote:
I also just signed up for an American Express Blue Cash card because I don't want to get stuck having our only credit card ripped out from underneath us like Citi just did. I will be adding a 3rd card, likely from a local credit union, in order to add some extra credit security and to help out our FICO scores by keeping less than 30% of our total available consumer credit used at any moment.
I don't like American Express, because they charge a huge fee to merchants (used to be something like 15% of the transaction?) Small businesses are having a hard enough time as it is, and many do NOT take AmEx. Plus it's not free or at least it wasn't when I looked into it.

If you want banking horror stories then try to get a credit card through Barkley's (spell?) back East.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #46
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I prefer AmEx over Visa and by the way Visa screwed Mastercard years ago. I've never had a problem with AmEx and have traveled with it for over 25 years.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #47
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I don't like American Express, because they charge a huge fee to merchants (used to be something like 15% of the transaction?) Small businesses are having a hard enough time as it is, and many do NOT take AmEx.

Amex is mending it's ways with small business by adding incentives (i.e. more revenue on the amex cards equals lower fees over time etc.) so a lot are actually taking it now (example: lots of merchants about 3-4 years ago in Key West did not take Amex AT ALL, when we went this year everywhere we went we paid with it)

Quote:
Plus it's not free or at least it wasn't when I looked into it.
they have a wide variety of cards with and without fees the Blue cash does not have a fee plus you get cash back every year (on anniversary)

Quote:
If you want banking horror stories then try to get a credit card through Barkley's (spell?) back East.
Barclay's. that is who Bj's does their visa card through no problems whatsoever (yet)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:49 AM   #48
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Good to hear AmEx is changing his ways. That's excellent news.
Good to know about the Blue, too, thanks.

As to Barclay's , they underwrite the LLBean card, I believe, and the story is long, boring, and the details will not help anybody, but I've said this much already so in a nutshell, it involves turning down someone's request for a $200 credit card (!!) (who has otherwise an excellent and long credit history in California) based on the Patriot Act alone. Uh?

I will *never* give these people my money if I can help it.

I think Barclays also underwrote another card I used to have some years back, and I closed my account. They wanted to charge me a $70 fee for not using the card enough. WTF?!!!

I'm a bad client anyway, always pay off my credit card debt monthly, so they don't like people like me because they don't make any money on finance charge.

Last edited by tomato; 10-22-2009 at 01:51 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote