Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #307
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^ NICE! Wheels and tyres look good.

Is that Mitsubishi emblem removable without leaving holes?
I don't know. Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
+1

Looks really good from the pic. Love the color; is it OEM?
Yes, Mercury Gray. (The wheels are also the original color)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Mirage looking good with those tires . How's the gas mileage ? Few weeks ago we test drove a '17 G4 with the C.V.T.. Managed to get 40 during the drive with 2 of us and temps hovering around 35 . Car kept up fine on the interstate . The steering wheel seemed off . Had a tendency to go to the right when wheel was level ( possible low tire pressure ? ) . They're known for poor alignment and to much play in the steering from the factory . The car was under $13,000 . Have you been to the MIRAGE / G4 owners site ? If not , http://mirageforum.com/index.php

We averaged 49 mpg on the way up to Victoria, BC over Thanksgiving. We generally are between 35 and 44 on the narrow 165s. Not sure yet on the 195s. I actually took them off last night for winter.

Our steering wheel is actually slightly cocked to the left. Need to bring it in and see if they can align it. I don't have too much play, however.

I am an active member on mirageforum.com. It's a really good group.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:57 AM   #308
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs

LDV G10. You probably don't know what this is, it's a UK brand Leyland brought by SAIC the biggest Chinese car company. I've seen a few of these in Australia and it is a good looker.Believe it or not AUSTRLAIANS ARE buying these Chinese cars.Money talks for the price you get a lot. I don't want to be part of the normal car scene. I want something i can sleep in on long drives, have loads of room to put stuff in and not worry about not having room LOL.

There's a few Chinese brands here now as well. LDV, FOTON, HAVAL and GREAT WALL MOTORS. I don't know about America but Astrayans are buying them. OK some Chinese car manufacturers have come here some didn't survive like Chery and Geely. But these new ones are strong contenders.

I also want an NC Mita RWD fun sportscar.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #309
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post

LDV G10. You probably don't know what this is, it's a UK brand Leyland brought by SAIC the biggest Chinese car company. I've seen a few of these in Australia and it is a good looker.Believe it or not AUSTRLAIANS ARE buying these Chinese cars.Money talks for the price you get a lot. I don't want to be part of the normal car scene. I want something i can sleep in on long drives, have loads of room to put stuff in and not worry about not having room LOL.

There's a few Chinese brands here now as well. LDV, FOTON, HAVAL and GREAT WALL MOTORS. I don't know about America but Astrayans are buying them. OK some Chinese car manufacturers have come here some didn't survive like Chery and Geely. But these new ones are strong contenders.

I also want an NC Mita RWD fun sportscar.
Do they sell the Toyota Avanza in Australia?

I saw them on Vacation in Mexico and thought it was a nifty little car. We don't get such convenient practical cars here in Canada. If you want a third row you have to go all the way up to a Sienna Minivan or full size SUV with a monster engine.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #310
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I would LOVE to buy a hybrid subcompact/compact, but the US market is a stomach-wrenchingly bad joke in that regard - at least from any brand that I would considering buying a vehicle from. Sorry, those Prius abominations just don't cut it, and the Lexus CT200H is really just too loaded and snotty for my taste (not to mention discontinued as of 2017). Give us a sensible hybrid Auris/iM or Yaris 'H-SE'. On the bright side, Toyota has indicated that they plan to have hybrid or electric versions of all their models available by 2025 - though I doubt either the Yaris or iM will be around in the US by that time.

Last edited by Kalispel; 01-26-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #311
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Before replacing my Camry (about 6 months ago), I drove the Toyota Prius and the Hyundai Ioniq. The Prius drove well, but the car was just too bloody ugly (outside and inside) and the seats were not very comfortable. The Ioniq's conservative sheet metal design was appealing, the interior was decent, the seats were comfortable, and the car drove surprisingly well. But, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Hyundai. I passed on getting a hybrid, but I'm still thinking about one for the future. Electric cars don't interest me at this point. I'm rather spontaneous and need a car that can go the distance wherever it may be. Plus, I'm the type that would suffer battery anxiety driving an electric car.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:54 AM   #312
Kalispel

Quote:
Electric cars don't interest me at this point. I'm rather spontaneous and need a car that can go the distance wherever it may be. Plus, I'm the type that would suffer battery anxiety driving an electric car.
I agree with you on full-electric cars. I think I am also the battery-anxiety type. Heck, I absolutely hate dropping below 1/3 or so tank on my gasoline Yaris.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:09 AM   #313
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
yeah, i get that way when the gauge is blinking too!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #314
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Goodbye Yaris ��

Hello Corolla!

Toyota loyalty!
Old 01-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #315
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Do they sell the Toyota Avanza in Australia?

I saw them on Vacation in Mexico and thought it was a nifty little car. We don't get such convenient practical cars here in Canada. If you want a third row you have to go all the way up to a Sienna Minivan or full size SUV with a monster engine.
Yes. We have.

We have French, Swedish, Italian, Chinese and Malaysian cars sold here as well.

Chinese..

FOTON.

HAVAL.

Great Wall.

LDV

Malaysian.

PROTON.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #316
kimona
Super Moderator

Hmmm... a wide variety of cars available in Australia.

Too bad about the demise of Holden and some great Opel platforms.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:43 PM   #317
junorico24

Quote:
Hmmm... a wide variety of cars available in Australia.

Too bad about the demise of Holden and some great Opel platforms.

Agreed.

That's why KIA came in with the RWD stinger because most Aussies love their big RWD muscle cars with Holden and Ford no longer producing them Kia will.

There's also Citreon, Peugeot,Renualt, Volvo, Skoda, MG is coming back.

The one that i have an eye on because it ticks the boxes.

Economical, good looks, affordable, fun to drive, 4wd, cheap servicing cost, good list of features; sat nav as standard, voice command, panoramic roof, all grip 4 wheel drive, 1.6 diesel engine would usually cost 40k-50k plus....

But not with the Suzuki Vitara the top of range is just under 35 K..

Last edited by junorico24; 01-30-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 PM   #318
junorico24

The Swift Sport is out in Australia as well..

A lot of good reviews ..

1.4 booster jet engine is same engine in the Vitara weighing just south of a tonne this thing is a pocket rocket.

A line of yellow hot hatches, WOW.

Last edited by junorico24; 01-30-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:03 PM   #319
Kalispel

The 2019 refreshed Honda HR-V just popped up on the Honda website for building/review of features. I have to say that the new 'Sport' trim is almost perfectly outfitted for my personal taste in features. It avoids all the 'safety' tech bloat for bad drivers (which starts on the EX trim) and other over-engineered 'convenience'-nonsense tech & has many of the nice cosmetic upgrades that this vehicle needed when it first made its debut in the US market. The (improved-for-2019) CVT looks like the only wildcard really, but I'm betting reliability on a CVT depends a lot on how aggressively you constantly stomp the gas from stop, etc. (which is where most CVT stress comes from). A lot of people seem to drive their cars like they are running from the cops (& don't do proper maintenance), so not very surprising they have engine/transmission issues sooner rather than later.

I like how the Sport trim replaces the cheap black plastic body/wheel trim with the piano-finish gloss-black trim instead - meaning you can wax/maintain it far easier, and it shouldn't age/discolor like the normal crap matte black plastic usually used for bumpers, trim, etc. The 50's series tires on the 18" wheels are the perfect compromise between performance, ride & looks (just like on my Yaris). The old-school 1990's halogen-reflector headlights/DRL have finally been replaced with more-modern, attractive projector headlights & LED DRL - and look better than the Touring trim squinting LED headlights. The Sport trim 18" alloy wheel design looks halfway decent if I wanted to stay factory/OEM. Muffler look has been refined, with added OEM exhaust tip. Standard fog lights. Black (Sport) instead of chrome (all other trims) front brow piece looks a lot better. On the fence about the color choices - Modern Steel looks nice & Orangeburst Metallic is interesting, lol. Sound/Noise insulation has been improved also with the refresh, and Active Noise Cancellation technology has been added.

The engine will be polarizing for a lot of people, since it is the same naturally-aspirated 'old school' carryover from the current model. I personally like that it is NOT a straight-up direct-inject and/or turbocharged engine, as those engines cost more to maintain properly & really won't age well in terms of reliability/durability. That's one of the reasons I love my Yaris so much as well. Seems like it would work fine for a normal driver (just like my Yaris engine does), but will leave wannabe drag-racers & people 'fleeing from the cops' no-doubt unhappy still.

Sounds like something worth checking out for me, & see if it can pass my rigourous OCD stress-test inspection. I will have to stop by a Honda dealership later this year for a test drive of the Sport trim, & see how it holds up in-person vs online research. If I like it, then it will get added to my very short list of cars that I might go for in 2020 or so, though a new black Yaris SE hatch still easily tops the list currently (assuming I can find one, lol).

My current short list:
(#1) 2018+ Yaris SE hatch (Black only)
(#2) 2019+ Corolla hatch XSE (or SE with aftermarket 17" graphite/black wheel+tire-swap) (Black only)
(#3) 2019+ Honda HR-V Sport (Black, Modern Steel or Orangeburst Metallic)

Last edited by Kalispel; 07-26-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #320
kimona
Super Moderator

I've driven the HR-V a few times, and I stand by my initial comments back in post #205 of this thread in Aug. 2017.

"Front and rear design looks good. Side view leaves a lot to be desired. Interior looks and feels cheap! Noisy motor, sluggish transmission, mediocre handling, uncomfortable seating. Hated the car."

I'd be curious to hear your feedback after test driving the car.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #321
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Im personally looking at the redesigned 2017 FRS or BRZ depending... Still new enough for the cpo but same chassis as the old model, and

of course the BRZ tS stuff fits right one :D :D
Old 07-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #322
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
LS430 UL black black with the nav and the rear seat options or a W210 E55 2002 or older, loaded as well.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #323
Kalispel

Quote:
I've driven the HR-V a few times, and I stand by my initial comments back in post #205 of this thread in Aug. 2017.

"Front and rear design looks good. Side view leaves a lot to be desired. Interior looks and feels cheap! Noisy motor, sluggish transmission, mediocre handling, uncomfortable seating. Hated the car."

I'd be curious to hear your feedback after test driving the car.
I will post a basic review once that I do check out the 2019 Sport trim HR-V in-person sometime this fall/winter. I wasn't a fan of U.S. version HR-V during its initial release in this market (2015-2018). It looked okay to me from most angles in terms of basic shape, proportions, etc., but seemed really cut-rate versus what was being offered in other global markets. Hopefully, the refresh addresses a lot of issues that you mention. Release notes do mention better sound deadening in the cabin, an updated CVT 'driving experience' & sports-tuned steering/handling adjustments on the Sport trim, etc. Hopefully, they also address some improved interior features/materials/comfort as well, and not just the exterior improvement I mentioned in my last post. We will see. I will be going in from the perspective of someone who prefers hatchback/sedan cars over Crossovers/SUVs in general, but the idea of a Crossover type vehicle does interest me.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #324
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Well, I just bought a Scion iQ so I guess that's what my next car is now lol.