Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
CrystalJean

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris, 3D, Gray
Stripping Paint Without Sanding

Okay - this is my first ever post on the forum (but I have been frequenting it for a couple of years)

I found a DIY on here that I did awhile back involving painting interior panel pieces of the car (such as the console, A-liners, ect.) to which, I did - the first time around what I did paint came out pretty well.

This time, not so much. I decided to pull two pieces to repaint because of chipping (I'm pretty rough on my car, and I sling things around so I chipped some visible areas of paint that I had wanted to fix) - Long story short - Nothing went right this time.

Paint started bubbling on contact, or crinkling/cracking. My father (who is typically better at spray painting then I am) rushed me to put the pieces back into the car before the paint was really set, and I scraped and dented brand new paint - so now the paint is really shitty looking.

The question is - Does anyone know of a legitimate, quick, and effective way for me to just completely strip the paint off and restart WITHOUT sanding it, I like the diamond texture imprinted on the pieces and if I were to sand them anyway - I'm pretty sure I would do it so uneven that would be a new issue all together.

Acetone, Turpentine, ect? I tried a "Greener" planet friendly paint thinner a couple of hours ago but it...did absolutely nothing.

I'm fairly certain my problem this time was just trying to repaint over the paint that was already there - but you live and learn. Can I start over or am I doomed to shitty looking chipped paint or having to buy all new interior plastic?
CrystalJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
laquer thinner
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote