Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Gasoline Prices on the Rise

National Average Gasoline Price Nears 3-Year High:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owne...cid=spartanntp
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes the producers are looking for any old excuse to raise prices so what will happen is people buy less gas until the stocks rise up to ridiculous levels again and the price drops. In the meantime I will be building invisible storage tanks out of transparent aluminum In my yard where no one can see them so when the price falls to $.50 a gallon I’ll stock up!

Seriously I hope they don’t go up to much more even though I only drive 100 miles a month my wife drives Over 1000.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I never understood the logic of cheaper gas prices equals buying/driving cars that waste more gas to get from point A to B. It's like most people never see the bigger picture on anything in the world, and live in these tiny bubble realities of complete self-interest and instant gratification. Even when gas was cheap I was very happy to be averaging 41-42 MPG in my Yaris - not just when it started hitting the wallet harder. Regardless of the gas price, I am still using X% less gas & spending X% less money on gas.

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-06-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I never understood the logic of cheaper gas prices equals buying/driving cars that waste more gas to get from point A to B. It's like most people never see the bigger picture on anything in the world, and live in these tiny bubble realities of complete self-interest and instant gratification. Even when gas was cheap I was very happy to be averaging 41-42 MPG in my Yaris - not just when it started hitting the wallet harder. Regardless of the gas price, I am still using X% less gas & spending X% less money on gas.
Yep

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
Quote:
For me; if the prices rise it makes me not want to drive my BMW as much. But when they are low I will always pick the other car over the yaris. Which is what happens with a lot of people I think. I have the option to switch to the yaris but many people don't. You are right though, I drive the same distance, just save a on gas...
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
complete self-interest and instant gratification.
selfishness self- centeredness! that we think is the root of our troubles

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
The real problem is a lot of economy cars are just not good places to be. Although that is changing now there are tons of comfort options other countries get in their cheaper vehicles we never do because supposedly Americans won't pay for luxury in small cars.

The interiors of newer Yaris are much nicer and more expensive than the first gen.

Then the auto journalists are dumb and always make economy cars sound like crap. They love trashing the Yaris and have done a great job running off enthusiasts, even though the Yaris is a phenomenal car for enthusiasts and has done really well in autocross and at the track. Hell I even made my father a believer and he hated my car in every way.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Oil at $71.38 . Middle East tensions are meddling with gas prices . Likely to go over $3 for 87 w/E10 .

Last edited by Hershey; 05-10-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Quote:
Yeah I was always happy to pay even less for gas when the prices were cheaper by driving a fuel efficient car. I guess the derps think they're saving money in some way. They're saving a little, but if they had a good 4 banger, they'd be saving a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Then the auto journalists are dumb and always make economy cars sound like crap. They love trashing the Yaris and have done a great job running off enthusiasts, even though the Yaris is a phenomenal car for enthusiasts and has done really well in autocross and at the track. Hell I even made my father a believer and he hated my car in every way.
So true. Even on youtube they do it to some degree. Which is where most people are going to go for their car reviews these days. I always leave a comment like "You didn't mention anything about how they forgot to put the correct Ferarri badges on there!" They think a car at the bottom of the price segment is supposed to be at least something like the one at the top. Nope. Its supposed to save gas and be reliable. And that's all. Everything else it can pull off is bonus. Old people are pretty bad about it, since they come from the days where if a modern Abrams tank hit the car, the tank would be totaled. Some people have a hard time actually using that big organ inside their heads.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote