Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #19
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Has Toyota changed to synthetic on anything and stayed the same viscosity? From the cars I've seen so far the only synthetic is a switch to 0w20 which is to gain fuel economy. Synthetic oil can go further, which is a bonus but comes at a cost. Also with regular oil it lines up with most people's tire changes for winter to have their oil changed at the same time as the oil (twice per year). You really should be having your car checked by a shop every 10,000km or once per year minimum.

From my experience, most modern catastrophic engine failures are due to operators not checking/changing their oil, or a weak hard-part (design flaw). Synthetic oil will extend the oil change intervals, but you will still need to change the filter at a certain point and check your oil level.

Believe it or not, I've found the most cost effective interval for my customers is 5000km with regular oil. Reasoning being that few people come in on time (probably 8K is about average and just about any engine can do that), and even fewer actually check their oil level. Many engines use up the reserve engine oil in about 5000km.
5000km is much too soon and a waste of resources. Even Click n Clack say go at least 5000 miles (8000KM) for oil changes. The oil is better, the gas is better and the engines are better.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/service-your-car-8
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #20
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
5000km is much too soon and a waste of resources. Even Click n Clack say go at least 5000 miles (8000KM) for oil changes. The oil is better, the gas is better and the engines are better.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/service-your-car-8
I agree. Nonetheless, customers killing engines because they run them out of oil is much more wasteful.

I've done oil testing on my Yaris since it has an unusual/hard life and settled on 8000km for the oil I use. I might be able to stretch it to 10,000km but it is not worth the risk to save ~$15/yr.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #21
JDJanitor

Drives: 2016 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
I agree. Nonetheless, customers killing engines because they run them out of oil is much more wasteful.

I've done oil testing on my Yaris since it has an unusual/hard life and settled on 8000km for the oil I use. I might be able to stretch it to 10,000km but it is not worth the risk to save ~$15/yr.
That's about 5000 miles? Can't argue with lab testing.
Are you using synthetic or conventional? I was thinking synthetic should make 7500-10k Miles, but maybe I will re think that

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
JDJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #22
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJanitor View Post
That's about 5000 miles? Can't argue with lab testing.
Are you using synthetic or conventional? I was thinking synthetic should make 7500-10k Miles, but maybe I will re think that

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Yeah roughly 5k Miles. Conventional oil. My car gets a lot of autoX and abuse, mixed with slow, local driving. I'd bet the typical Yaris coiuld stretch the oil life to 8k Miles easily, but can't say for sure. Testing isn't expensive. $50 or so per test. If you can extend your oil life with two tests, that $100 will pay off pretty quick (especially if you're paying someone else to do your service).
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote