Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
DevilzMafia

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Yaris 2007 sedan (auto) Transmission fluid change and rear wheel noise

Hey guys, as I'm new here, I apologize if this is the wrong thread for such a topic. @ Mods do move as necessary.

I bought this Yaris 2007 (auto trans) a year back, have changed the engine oil on good time intervals, but now I have a hitch to change the Automatic Transmission oil. When I checked the dip-stick, it was reddish but with a little noticeable black in it.

My main questions were that:

1) Do I only need to drain the trans fluid through the bolt underneath? or as I've been reading, do I also need to change some oil pan/filter or something like that? If so, could you refer me to the original part no. of that?

2) This second question refers to the second part of the topic. My Yaris makes some quite noticeable noise between 40mph-50mph, which I have a good feeling comes from the rear wheels. The first thing that hit my mind was may be the transmission?, but after putting it at neutral at that speed, the sound is still there, so the second obvious reason came to my mind was 'wheel bearing'.

If anyone has any views, comments, I'd be delighted to hear them, thanks.
DevilzMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
Automatic Toyota trans fluid does get dark... You would just flush the trans fluid with new. You can get away with a lot of miles on automatic fluid, I usually go about 75K.

The sound from the rear could be a wheel bearing. Does it get louder if you turn one way or the other? If it does, it's most likely a wheel bearing.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
DevilzMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by narly charley View Post
Automatic Toyota trans fluid does get dark... You would just flush the trans fluid with new. You can get away with a lot of miles on automatic fluid, I usually go about 75K.

The sound from the rear could be a wheel bearing. Does it get louder if you turn one way or the other? If it does, it's most likely a wheel bearing.
Thanks for the reply and I haven't noticed much while turning, but it gradually increases with speed, so that was the only thing which came to my mind initially.
I'm assuming the replacing the wheel bearings is an expensive job?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
narly charley

If you can do it yourself, it's about $100.

If you can't, it will be a little pricey. Automotive work is about $80-$90 an hour, and that job probably books for 2-3 hours.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
DevilzMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by narly charley View Post
If you can do it yourself, it's about $100.

If you can't, it will be a little pricey. Automotive work is about $80-$90 an hour, and that job probably books for 2-3 hours.
I can do it myself, but I don't have all the tools for it, have to think of something of how to go about it. Thanks for the help so far.

Would you know the Allen-Key size for the Yaris 2007Transmission bolt in the pan?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
narly charley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzMafia View Post
I can do it myself, but I don't have all the tools for it, have to think of something of how to go about it. Thanks for the help so far.

Would you know the Allen-Key size for the Yaris 2007Transmission bolt in the pan?
I don't...
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
IMO try to change wheels first, or at least try to discern if its tire noise, regardless if theyre the same brand on all four wheels.

if not, it's most likely wheel bearing as what has been posted, and to change that i believe you need the entire wheel bearing assembly which is expensive if you're on drums, and if you're on disks, it should cost you cheaper.

also, it's not easy to DIY if you dont have a lot of tools, as well as you havent taken down your suspension before.

and no, i also dont know the size that you are asking about. sorry.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzMafia View Post

10mm, 3/8" fits fine as well.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
yarista

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr, 09 Yaris 4dr
Ok It's time for you to flush out the wheel bearing issue. If you remove the rear wheels and the brake drums, you can turn the rear axle stubs by hand to feel for play or roughness. I'm not sure about haw difficult Yaris rear wheel bearings are to replace, but I don't believe that they would be hard to replace. Sometimes brake drums can be rusted on, but if yours aren't, they will be easy to pull off. If the rear wheel bearings feel fine, you can test the front wheel bearings by turning the car while driving. Get the car making the noise, and turn left and then right. Listen for the noise to stop while making the turns. If the noise stops while turning left, the left front wheel bearing is bad. If the noise stops while turning right, the right front wheel bearing is bad. Changing front wheel bearings is not for the works in his drive-way lightweight goodwrench wanabe.
yarista is offline   Reply With Quote